Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Suspension gurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Suspension gurus

I have had my Berg for about 2 months now, and have not been able to settle on suspension for it. I tried Wheelie King shocks sprung limited and unlimited, 75% droop....Now Integy shocks MSR10's, full droop, now firmly sprung and limited. My current set-up is nearly like a torsion rig, with it being firmly sprung and limited .550". But this set works well as in predictable, just the rear wheel seems to induce alot of roll overs on angled downhills. Is softening the rear a bit the cure for this?
BTW, I am running a total weight of 8lb, Close to 80% of it on the axles and wheels. and am using the firm and soft springs wound inside of each other.

Also, it might be my imagination, but my traction seems better with less articulation. Could that be? 1:1 crawlers seem to thrive on articulation.

Last edited by Pappy; 07-30-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I am no suspention guru but I can tell ya articulation is way over rated. A scale beer can would get way out of most 1-1s limits.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
1:1 crawlers seem to thrive on articulation.
Wrong. Too much articulation in a 1:1 crawler is not effective.

I like to run my RC crawlers with only the ability to lift a tire the height of the tire. That seems to be plenty of articulation for me. I usually accomplish this by limiting the shock droop with fuel tubing...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

When a tire lifts off the ground the weight is transferred to the remaining wheels on the ground.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I agree with Jeremy tire art.height plenty U should try softer springs in the front. I run alum big bores with 18t springs blue and gold on outside of shock.Spring Will fit inside spring cups. 45w front 60w in rear.with no shock limiters.
speed goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I have had my Berg for about 2 months now, and have not been able to settle on suspension for it. I tried Wheelie King shocks sprung limited and unlimited, 75% droop....Now Integy shocks MSR10's, full droop, now firmly sprung and limited. My current set-up is nearly like a torsion rig, with it being firmly sprung and limited .550". But this set works well as in predictable, just the rear wheel seems to induce alot of roll overs on angled downhills. Is softening the rear a bit the cure for this?
BTW, I am running a total weight of 8lb, Close to 80% of it on the axles and wheels. and am using the firm and soft springs wound inside of each other.

Also, it might be my imagination, but my traction seems better with less articulation. Could that be? 1:1 crawlers seem to thrive on articulation.
Pappy, how much ground clearance do you have at ride height? (just curious)

I'm by no means a suspension guru, but here's my take on it.

I have been running full droop for a while, both on my Axial and now on my Bully. I like it, but it's not for everybody. Many people can't stand it.

The biggest advantage of full droop over a full sprung is the ability to run a low belly height, yet still droop out when high centered. My ride height is at 2.5", but I can droop out to 4".

That said, I run soft springs, and fairly light oil, so that I can take full advantage of the droop. There's more factors involved, but I'd bet that if you ran only the light springs and removed the stiffies, that it'd handle better. I like just enough spring to hold the chassis still on sidehills, but not so much that it limits suspension at all.

Just an FYI, but you might want to post these questions over on WPaC also. I don't see every post over hear, and I'd do whatever I can to help ya.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I found the berg suspension to be a different animal than the Axial I dialed in before it. On the Axial, I had much success with little articulation.

On the berg, I have more articulation and it just works. I have mine set up very soft. (Gmade Zero shocks and Losi White springs all around... 35 wt. oil)

With all the serious weight low, the added articulation doesn't seem to hurt at all. I sit at 3.2 inches at the belly and mine flexes a little over 3 stacked rovers high.

The bench tuning term I would use for my suspension is "loose". It oozes over the rocks like a spider.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I THINK the belly height on mine is currently 2 7/8", but I'll double check to be sure. StickKing was talking about his Bully torsion chassis, and got my wheels turning, thinking of how many times I could avoid mishaps by floating a wheel over a hole.....But the downside is, say I float over a hole on my right side and it is followed by a sharp left turn, left front tire down and digging, right tire in the air with no traction, dig is spinning the one tire not doing much good. Just an example of my findings from today's test run....No on the other hand, it is much more predictable in this setup, good and bad, As in I can call what is going to happen, and that is rolling some of the time.
I liked droop alot, but I break alot of stuff with no compression, as when it rolls hard and lands, there is no cushion in suspension, so axles bend and break on a heavy rig.:-(
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote