Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Another VMG project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2005, 05:11 AM   #1

Default Another VMG project

Hey guys, I'm Ron from the Netherlands and I'm new to this magnificent Forum. I just started to convert my Mini Giant into a crawler, just have to find some decent wheel and tire combo. It has a custom aluminium frame, locked diffs.

Still have to mount the gear reduction and lenghthen the driveshafts.

Here are some pics of the unfinished project

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 11-21-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks awsome. What are the specs?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks really clean, just one hint, Please re-size your pics. Those things are the size of a poster
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Lookin good man.
Deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:31 AM   #5

keep those pic big it show more, so big pic are great. the truck look bad *** where can i get one?
tlt_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments guys.

The frame consists basically out of 4 mm aluminium tubing, M3 threaded rod and al. stock 30x3. ball ends are unbranded ones from the LHS. The wheelbase is 20 cm's (8"). I hope this will not affect the steering too much since it's only 2WS. springs are stock, since i figured there's no need for shocks when crawling so slowly ( and I'm also saving up some money to buy a clod kit). The gear reduction (7:1)will be mounted in such a way that the motor (speed 300 6v) will be centered between the frame plates. Too bad I haven't found a way to mount the batteries low. so for now the original battery tray will be between the frame, just above the front links.

Since I'm new to this crawling thing I probably overdone the articulation ( with batteries and motor mounted more than 80 degrees) so maybe i'll limit that to make fitting a body a litle easier.

RD 400, thanks for the tip, I thought these pics would appear as clickable thumbs... next time I'll do it right
Old 11-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Interesting chassis design, I kinda like the asymmetry of it, with the hoop on one side, and the full plate on the other.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Wow, amazing work right there. I think this is one of the best first builds out there! I can't wait to see some more work from ya.
KidWithAcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:24 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Hey guys, I'm Ron from the Netherlands and I'm new to this magnificent Forum. I just started to convert my Mini Giant into a crawler, just have to find some decent wheel and tire combo. It has a custom aluminium frame, locked diffs.

Still have to mount the gear reduction and lenghthen the driveshafts.

Here are some pics of the unfinished project
"I just started to turn my VMG into a crawler". Just started? Ur kidding.
Thats probably the most blinged out VMG ive ever seen, and probably the best ill see for quite a while.
crawlerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Default Vmg crawler uit nederland

Wtf Thats cool man make it an uber bling mobile
hoi hoe gaat ie ik ben ook nederlands en heb ook een leox atech maak er ook ee crawler van heej kun je mischien servo mounts voor mij maken waar woon je trouwesn provincie ??
mijn mail is misa_di_brijn@hotmail.com
stuur me ff mailtje ofso
vind het erg cool dat nu nog iemand uit holland zoiets maakt
btw put the battry on the rear axle
nice chassis :-P
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

What did he say?
whalebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

i can speak english to whahaha
surprise
no but that was dutch
I told him that is was cool that somebody in holland was making an vmg Crawler to
im also making one so that why
but i asked im if he could make some servo mounts for me to
somebodey who cxan make some
i realy dislike swami mounts dont know why
SERVO MOUNTS NOWWWW
greetzzzz from
Old 11-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

crawl rookie, a servo mount is easy. You just need one bag from the TLT. Its the one with the axle link mount brackets. I chopped one side off to make it from a U shape to an L shape, and attached. The holes line up and all you have to do is some spacing on the servo mounts themselves. depending on your servo.
http://www.one18th.com/forums/attach...chmentid=15776
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #14

I really wanted to make the frame symmetrical but I had to build it around the motor and gear reduction, that's also why I used 3 mm plate to ensure the frame has enough stiffness, I've probably overdone it.... but it works for now. The servo mount is just temporarily. Just my first (poor) attempt at bending aluminium. As you can see the servomounts are not square on the horizontal plane, but for now it works well. Btw they're some plastic servomounts I pulled off my old grasshopper wreck. I'm now looking for some tube with an inner diameter the same as the driveshafts to make them longer. Unfortunately over here all tube seems to be in metric sizes and the driveshafts aren't. Does any of you guys have an idea why the ring and pinion gears seem to mesh tighter after hot glueing the diffs? I've done it twice but they seem to run lnot as smooth as open diffs. Another thing, the ball bearings on the pinions shaft get very dirty. I used some fingertips from a plastic glove which i zip tied to the axle housing, an effective but ugly way to keep the dirt out. Since the buildup seems bling to some of you guys, I''m looking for a better way to shield them from the dirt.

O yeah, crawl rookie, Ik woon nu vlakbij Leeuwarden, Friesland. voor die servomounts zou ik gewoon die grasshopper dingetjes gebruiken. Kun je ook nog op de juiste lengte zagen. dan schroef je ze op een plaatje aluminium en die weer aan de ashouders, klaar zijn je mounts, kan wel ff foto's maken dit weekend.

Another example of the beatiful dutch language, due to the content of it unfortunately not suited for translation

Cheers fellas
Old 11-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

What about heatshrink tube to seal everything out?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

jah heb nu een soort swami servo mounts gemaakt van hout eeerg cheap maarja heb geen alu dus voorlopig zal ik dit naar iemand moeten sturen die hetr van alu kan maken

''Flying dutchman is the name!!''

That's the name of my vmg
i also making an canti of it so lots of work to do

stuur maar BTW Everyone please make some pics of your servo mounts and send them to misa_di_brijn@hotmail.com jij ook he ajb ron
ik woon trouwesn in z-holland klein plaatsje in het westland sragevnzande vlabbij hoek van holland mzzzzl
latersand again Dutchman says Greeetzzz from the US Netherlands :-P
Old 12-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #17

Hey guys!! Just a little update on my project. I just installed the reduction box and made a test run in the garden and the truck pulled real well, but got hung up on the transfer quite often due to the small diameter of the stock tires in combination with the wheelbase of 8 inch. The turning circle is also too large in my opinion, but maybe 4ws in the future will solve that. Went to the LHS yesterday to get myself some wheels and tires and found these little gems, real soft and i guess they bite real well. Offset on the rims is far more negative than on the stock wheels so I'm now looking for a way to mount the wheels. The way they ar now on the truck is for posing purposes only :-PI'll hope to have it running this week. Sorry for the bad pics, they're shot with the flasher being stuck. .

Cheers

Last edited by Earl; 12-04-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:18 PM   #18

Came up with this body idea, unfortunately it's die-cast, so only for the shelf.... wheelbase is spot-on though.. Does anybody know of a similar body from a plastic model kit?

Old 12-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Hey Rob, It's lookin real great so far! i LOVE how its asymetric! it makes it have a real different look than anyother crawler out there! your doing an awsome job! Just something you might want to consider if you want to have longer run times and a little more power is the 7-cell pack made for the VMG. it works great and ofcoarse you dont have to by new batts every 45 mins wel keep us posted!
landon smith
SiameseDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 AM   #20

landon, Im running 1850mAh NiMH batteries in the tray, and that suits me fine for now,. Gave me about 30 mins runtime when it was stock except for the BB and the speed 300 6V. What do you guys think , will this runtime be much better with the reduction built in. Did a test run on a pile of bricks last weekend and I stripped the gears on my steering servo after just 2 runs. learnig the hard way, I mailordered a ballraced, metalgeared replacement with the same specs, hope this thing will last a little longer:neutral:

Things I noticed was that the ground clearance could be a little better but maybe it's just the sharp bricks I was running over. I have my lower links parallel with the driveshafts but when I lower the the axles there is an instant increase in articulation steer, plus the chances op popping the dogbones out of the cups is much greater, so I'm kinda out of options right now. just see how it goes.

The buggy tires grip real well on sharp and dry surfaces, but don't clear wet sand and mud too well:?

Still To Do:

Mount new servo
Body mounts for the stock LeoX body (until I find a more scale body with WB of 8")
adjust all links to the proper length to get axles straight under the chassis and the chassis itself level with the ground.

Cheers guys and happy holidays ( what's that big box under the tree? Is that my Clod kit)