Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The best, or just your favorite, solid axles for a shafty super-class build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question The best, or just your favorite, solid axles for a shafty super-class build?

I have been looking at, and really like, the Kyosho Mad/Twin Force axles, because they were made for a large truck, look pretty beefy and easy to modify, and appear to be what I am looking for. Do you guys have any input on these? Or maybe a better axle in mind? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I did some searching, both in the internet and on these forums, and it looks like finding the axles and parts for them might be tough since they are no longer made, but I have also seen them used in quite a few builds on here, where the builder really liked them. Are they good enough to be worth looking for and collecting spare parts for? I REALLY like the RC4WD aluminum housings, so I might even get those, but I need input from you guys first.

I am not a competition crawler, I have never crawled in a comp, and I have never even been to a comp, I just like crawling, and I also love building, so I am going to scratch-build a super but I need solid (non MOA) axles to get started. This truck will not be built for competition, but it will be built right, and I am not going to cut any corners.

I plan on running the Tekin FX-R/55T combo, 2S and 3S LiPo, proportional 4-wheel steering, 4-link suspension, and either a TVP or tube chassis that I build myself. I will most likely run one of the R2-series RC4WD transmissions, narrow 40-series wheels and tires, and whatever else I can think of.

I have a vertical mill, drill-press, scroll-saw, table-saw, sanding station, multiple grinders, rotary tool, files, and all of the other basic tools I need to do some basic milling and fab work, so I will be making a lot of parts myself, and won't be limited to only what I can buy (like for the axles). The only thing I don't have anymore is a lathe...the one I had was circa WWII and finally gave up the ghost. I do plan on buying a nicer vertical milling machine and converting it to true 3/4-axis CNC as soon as I am able. I was going to a while back, but life has thrown me a few curve balls, and you know how that goes.

Anyway, if you guys could help me decide on the axles I should run, I would greatly appreciate it. If the 'Force axles are pretty good, I would like to go that route, but if they aren't, I will go with whatever you guys think is best.

Thank you so much in advance.

Edit: Oh, I thought of something that you guys might need to know...I am going for a bigger is better type deal, with a long wheelbase and a wide track.

Last edited by Chadworkz; 08-20-2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: I needed to add something important.
Chadworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I have always wanted to buy some Twin force axles. I was very tempted to when RCP use to sell them. They don't any more:-(. For your needs they sound perfect. I have been following TF builds for a long time, and my acquired knowledge tells me you need to run 2 short sides to get an acceptable width. I know you said that you want it as big as possible, but you then run into the problem: Can you get tyres big enough? The tallest tyres available that actually grip on rocks are the RC4WD X locks. If you were not running 2 short sides they would look really stupid. It also seems CVDs if you can find some are a must. HB hellfire(? I think) helical gears seem pretty popular. Spools are also a must if you can get some. CDW makes them.

Second I don't think a 55t is going to provide enough juice to push a rig like that, anywhere. If you have the money, go with a FXR pro and dual Holmes Hobbies 10t pullers on 3s. Trust me it will move For a single motor I would go with again a 10t puller geared fairly low. Either that or an outrunner. Perhaps the new sensored one Holmes Hobbies is getting made.

If you want to stick with one motor though I would defintly go with a beefed up axial tranny. WAY better quality and has a lot more parts availability. For all out beefiness you will need.

DNA motor plate
Robinson racing steel gears
CDW 6mm tranny outputs (if you can get a set, he has no discotiniud them:-()
Or CDW 5mm outputs
Alloy case

It will be alot better than any rc4wd tranny is ever going to be. Also dig units are readily available should you need one.

Hope that helps you

Also if you find a source of TF axles cheap let us know please

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

TF is probably the best axles to use but TXT/Jug axles are good too.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Apart from being my favorites, TF axles are also some of the beefiest axles ever made. With the availability of 1/8th scale parts you get a lot of options for the insides.

BTW I run an R2HD in my super with a 55T on 3S and it does move!
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Wow, thank you so much for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! Now I just need to find a pair!

What do you guys think about buying a set of RC4WD aluminum cases and knuckles and then just building each axle piece by piece? Spool, ring & pinion, CVDs, bearings, hardware...seems like I can find all that pretty easily.

Edit: Is it against the rules to post a thread asking if anyone has a set of axles they would sell?

Last edited by Chadworkz; 08-20-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Needed to ask a question.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadworkz View Post
Wow, thank you so much for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! Now I just need to find a pair!

What do you guys think about buying a set of RC4WD aluminum cases and knuckles and then just building each axle piece by piece? Spool, ring & pinion, CVDs, bearings, hardware...seems like I can find all that pretty easily.

Edit: Is it against the rules to post a thread asking if anyone has a set of axles they would sell?
I am in the same boat as you chad.

Buying an Kyosho axle part by part is very expensive not to mention the aluminum housings alone. Last time I priced out TF/MF axles piece by piece it was around/over $300. Not including the TF tranny.

If you are brave, search Full throttle in the Large scale forum. Toy4Crawlin
made some custom axles using pre-built parts. There are some good ideas in there.

BTW Post it in the wanted forum.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, man!