Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Losi Crawler Race roller upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Losi Crawler Race roller upgrades

hello
I may be the only person that is somewhat dissatisfied with the losi CRR. I feel it needs some better parts and stuff.
I was originally going to go with an AX10, but the sales person assured me that the LOSI was the way to go.... and now there are NO spare parts or upgrades. Fantastic.

However, this leaves me with a good way of customizing the machine into something that i would find more useful.

so here is my plan:

swap out the losi axles with Axial axles. Worm gears are noisy and i want a little more speed rather than just crawling capability. I also want 4-wheel steering. Axial springs (maybe). Xcelorin system (i cheeped out and went with a $12 brushless and cheep ESC).

yup, a LOSI AXIAL hybrid.

what do you think.
Black0ut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i think the tranny in the losi is to high geared and your gonna end up with a rock racer.
big geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

there is up grades! check out horizonhobbies.com! alum. stuff graphite shock arms (im looking at getting these) springs and stuff plus more coming from venders! just wait a few weeks after all it is a new crawler
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I don't mean to 'flame' your idea, but IMO it will end up worse than the LCC stock. For a start the transmission in the losi will be to highly geared for ax10 axles. Also the dig will on freewheel as in the LCC the worms do the locking. Also IMO digs are far easier to use than rear steer. Yeah it looks cool, but it is a pita to control. If you feel the spring rate isn't correct it doesn't matter what brand you purchase as long it is what you want and it fits the shocks. I am personally run associated mmgt blue springs on my losi crawler shocks. If you want a little more wheel speed the MOA kit Eritex is producing may be the answer for you. I am unsure what motor/esc combo you would want to use, but have a look at the LCC MOA threads that have sarted already. See what is working and what is not.

Overal, IMO you should just stick with what you have and wait till some of the larger upgrades trickle through. I know it is a pian, but I had to wait almost 6 months after I figured I needed high steer knuckles for the ax10, till someone actually produced them.

If you absolutely hate the LCC axles, sell them. Some one is guaranteed to buy them to use with the Eritex MOA.

Kieren

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 08-22-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #5

give it time parts will come
TANK08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #6

I see what you guys are saying. the MOA is a good idea. Its just that i would probably never need a twin motor setup. Not much up here for crawling, unless you want to drive out into the mountains. There is some crawling, but nothing really hardcore enough to need two motors.

I also found the dig function kind of unnecessary. Not only was mine not activating properly, but once i finally tuned the servo just right, the servo dies.

I was thinking of making my own custom transmission seeing as i have both the software and a machine shop to do it.

Im kinda trying to make something thats quick, and can crawl over stuff and stuff.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Where in Canada are you? I'm in Calgary and there is a pretty hardcore group here.

Do you ever need two motors? You said no. Why did you say that? If you were to use two motors and the drive shafts then no, you don't need two motors. But with the MOA conversion it drives very different. Kind of like a Berg. It's just a different style of doing the same thing. Now you get rid of the transmission. It makes it a lot simpler is all.

And the LCC is WAY better out of the box than the Axial. From the sounds of it, the dig servo went because of how you adjusted it, or it just wasn't a quality servo. Set your EPA's low and work up rather than having them set high and working low. The Losi dig doesn't need a lot of travel to make it work and the instructions were very good on how to set it up with enough, yet not to much throw.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Hateraide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Where in Canada are you? I'm in Calgary and there is a pretty hardcore group here.

Do you ever need two motors? You said no. Why did you say that? If you were to use two motors and the drive shafts then no, you don't need two motors. But with the MOA conversion it drives very different. Kind of like a Berg. It's just a different style of doing the same thing. Now you get rid of the transmission. It makes it a lot simpler is all.

And the LCC is WAY better out of the box than the Axial. From the sounds of it, the dig servo went because of how you adjusted it, or it just wasn't a quality servo. Set your EPA's low and work up rather than having them set high and working low. The Losi dig doesn't need a lot of travel to make it work and the instructions were very good on how to set it up with enough, yet not to much throw.
i agree with you totally, there is crawling anywhere and everywhere in canada and what you said about dual motor setup does not make sense at all
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0ut3 View Post
I see what you guys are saying. the MOA is a good idea. Its just that i would probably never need a twin motor setup. Not much up here for crawling, unless you want to drive out into the mountains. There is some crawling, but nothing really hardcore enough to need two motors.

I also found the dig function kind of unnecessary. Not only was mine not activating properly, but once i finally tuned the servo just right, the servo dies.

I was thinking of making my own custom transmission seeing as i have both the software and a machine shop to do it.

Im kinda trying to make something thats quick, and can crawl over stuff and stuff.

As others have said, your gearing will be way too low. Furthermore if you try and put a brushless in that setup it will fail terribly. If you want an Axial buy an Axial. You are in for a huge waste of time and money with this setup.

I am all for making something yourself but you can get an Axial trans for about 20 bucks. You will spend more on gears then that. Make smart decisions on what to make yourself.

Rethink this idea, or you will be even less happy than you are now.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:

I live in calgary as well... more into the flat grassy area though, i have to gather rocks to make trails and such, dig them up and stuff.

Can you mount both motors to one ESC?

I was thinking of then just going to: http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/ and getting some really cool MOA kits.

I would still like to do 4 wheel steering and such.
I'll look into the MOA thing.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yes, most ESC's can handle dual motors. If your ESC has a 10 turn motor limit that, in theory, means you can run dual 20 turn motors off of it.

Where did you get your Losi? Did you actually tell the guy that you wanted more of a rock racer than a rock crawler? Axial has the RTR Rock Racer. That sound more like what you actually wanted. The Losi isn't going to give you a lot of wheel speed. The Worm gears play a big part of that. The Axial has a lot more adjustment in that department.

That site you linked to doesn't have Losi parts or Losi upgrades from the look of it. Go to the Losi section on these forums and take a look. The Eritek's MOA kit is the only one I have seen so far.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #12

I got my losi at PM hobby. I wanted to get the Axial AX-10 kit, so i could add my own awesome stuff. But the guy was like... "you dont want the axial, you really want the Losi". OKAY.

and i know the site i linked has no losi stuff, but its all custom parts. Some of the parts off of that site could be used for a losi or axial with some mods.

$104.00 bucks looks pretty expensive for two metal mounts, some gears and a few screws (MOA kit). Hell, i could go buy two aluminum axles with motor mounts and make them fit for cheeper.

gonna have to look around for some stuff.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0ut3 View Post
$104.00 bucks looks pretty expensive for two metal mounts, some gears and a few screws (MOA kit). Hell, i could go buy two aluminum axles with motor mounts and make them fit for cheeper.

gonna have to look around for some stuff.

Are you serious? Wow look around man. You need to do a lot more research before you start buying anything. I can see a lot of bad decisions already.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Are you serious? Wow look around man. You need to do a lot more research before you start buying anything. I can see a lot of bad decisions already.
what do you mean? the MOA kit is $104. Everywhere is $104.00.
I have been doing research since i bought it in may.... been shopping around at local stores, phoned out of area stores, emailed people... NO LUCK.

http://www.rcrockcrawling.com. I have actually found some neat looking frames, axles, and transmissions that i would seriously consider buying if i sold my LOSI frame. Need more of a hotrod than just a slow moving crawler.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Then sell the losi and get the Axial Rock Racer. That's going to be all you're happy with. But from the sounds of it you would have better off with a short course or a stadium truck.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

check ebay for new upgrades.
i saw quite a few alum upgrades the other day.
http://toys.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nk...r&_osacat=2562
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Then sell the losi and get the Axial Rock Racer. That's going to be all you're happy with. But from the sounds of it you would have better off with a short course or a stadium truck.
I would agree with this. The Losi is a great crawler. But it's not really designed for anything but serious crawling. The Axial is very easy to adapt to things other than just crawling.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #18

anybody have any luck with different bodies for the losi? I have lots of bodies from a T-max kickin around, put one on and found it to be a little too big. Better drag out the old dremel and cut it to size.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #19

would a brushless Xcelorin system be good for crawling?
Any ideas, i need MONSTER INSANE power for my MOA kit i ordered.... Rip trees from the ground power.

I have a novak rooster with some $14.00 55t Brushed motor, not very powerful at all. But seeing as im upgrading, might as well go with the biggest motor/ESC kit i can find. Oh, it also has to be Lipo 3 Cell compatible.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
K_B
I wanna be Dave

If you want to run brushless on an MOA, you'll need to speed controls. If you want insane power and only wanna buy one ESC, look into the Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller motors and get yourself a Mamba Max ESC maybe...

Check out TattooKenny's MOA build... he's using Pullers I think...

Kenny's Eritex MOA build!

Last edited by K_B; 08-26-2009 at 05:15 PM.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote