Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Independant Suspension Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Independant Suspension Rig

I have been fiddling with the idea of a IS rig. I figured there would be a lot of places where it would work brilliant. And of course with an IS rig there is no torque twist:-P. So you don't need MOA.

The way I am trying to build it is like a trailing arm, not the ordinary wishbone set up on most RCs. Although this receives amazing flex, you have to have super tight tolerances or it will flex in all the wrong ways.

Although I have mocked it up with ax10 parts, I will most likely build it with 1/8th buggy parts. Well at least the knuckles and cvds.

I am hoping that hpi nitro rs4 mt2 diff cases fit the ax10 lockers. I know they fit the gears and bearings, but not sure on the lockers.

If you have any ideas, recommendations or just feel like saying it won't work (if you do and I finish it I will come and drive all over your rig with it) please post Some pics

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

With that on both sides I dont see room for the drive shaft to fit and have full movement.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

maybe if you cut that spacer in half and split the diff. on each side it would provide more clerance in the middle for the drive line.

awsome look and very cool idea though, keep use posted, could be very interesting concept.

Last edited by TomEGunn; 08-25-2009 at 04:53 PM.
TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Reminds me of....

Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Reminds me of....

That is my inspiration The 3 link connectors are not permanent. They with be replaced by a more compact and stronger solution

Kieren
Old 08-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Oh ok. Yea alot of desert buggies and sand rails have that kind of suspension in the rear. That's a cool idea, I always thought it would be cool to build something like a lunar rover.
super mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

that is going to be badass when its done
stevelknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

the only things i can bitck about would be the diffs i assume are going to be attached to the chassis which will put some weight at a pretty high cog(not on the axles) and might drag on the ground at full droop.

another thing would be if you plan on running it as a shaftie then you will have a trans on the chassis. again raising the cog.

dont let me discourage you though,i think this could be badas$

KEEP IT GOING!
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The diffs are the least of my worries at the moment. It is try to stop these link flexing side to side:? When I have some I will post updates

Kieren
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
Suck it up!

Not to poo-poo on your idea here, but I don't know if I'd want that setup in the front. It just looks way to easy to bend or break if any force were to be applied in the wrong direction.

In that 1:1 pic, I can just see a front wheel coming into contact with something and folding the suspension back. There just isn't enough triangulation going on there to distribute the load.

In a slow moving crawler it might be ok...

Don't misunderstand me, I think its a cool idea, it just needs worked out some more. If I get some time this afternoon I'll see if I can whip up a pic of what I'm thinking...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

So, are you going to build hybrid axles with the diff in the center like a Poulson or will the diffs be attached and part of the chassis in some way with only the transaxle halfshafts moving up and down with the suspension cycle like whats going on in that pic of the 1:1?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
the diffs be attached and part of the chassis in some way with only the transaxle halfshafts moving up and down with the suspension cycle?
x2

So Pede halfshafts or maybe MIP Driveshafts for the MRC (4x$35) but would be smooooooth going to each wheel and give you halfshaft extension you would need during flex. For the mini, but would handle individual wheel torque.
http://www.miponline.com/MIP/l-a18-r...20April%20.pdf
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Not to poo-poo on your idea here, but I don't know if I'd want that setup in the front. It just looks way to easy to bend or break if any force were to be applied in the wrong direction.

In that 1:1 pic, I can just see a front wheel coming into contact with something and folding the suspension back. There just isn't enough triangulation going on there to distribute the load.

In a slow moving crawler it might be ok...

Don't misunderstand me, I think its a cool idea, it just needs worked out some more. If I get some time this afternoon I'll see if I can whip up a pic of what I'm thinking...
The current plan at the moment is that the links with be made entirely out of 1/2inch delrin (they may be milled down slightly) and will have full ball bearings Not sure about you, but for me that is plenty of beef. Also being delrin the links should spring back, not bend and look like a pretzel like the 1:1 rig. Any ideas are welcome if you have them. If this sucks as a rock crawler, it will have a 17t mild modified dropped in and I will have stablest shafty rock racer around:-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
So, are you going to build hybrid axles with the diff in the center like a Poulson or will the diffs be attached and part of the chassis in some way with only the transaxle halfshafts moving up and down with the suspension cycle like whats going on in that pic of the 1:1?
A poulon is not IS, it just an axle build with IS parts. This is a true IS rig. The suspension set up will be similar to that 1:. The diffs will be attached (somehow) to the chassis. The trans to diff shafts won't move, only the ones to the knuckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
x2

So Pede halfshafts or maybe MIP Driveshafts for the MRC (4x$35) but would be smooooooth going to each wheel and give you halfshaft extension you would need during flex. For the mini, but would handle individual wheel torque.
http://www.miponline.com/MIP/l-a18-r...20April%20.pdf
Pede will get me jack all travel so their not going to be used. The mini shafts are an awesome idea I was going to use buggy parts as they are easy to get and are quite cheap. The MIPs would cost $70:? I can get a full set of buggy cvds for cheaper than that. 5.5inch wheels would put a bit of load on those little critters. Even if you had one for each wheel.

Kieren
Old 08-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
A poulon is not IS, it just an axle build with IS parts. This is a true IS rig. The suspension set up will be similar to that 1:. The diffs will be attached (somehow) to the chassis. The trans to diff shafts won't move, only the ones to the knuckles.

Kieren
I realize that a Poulson is not IS. I was making sure that your plan was not to just bolt on a buggy diff to a plate to run down to the knuckles...which would have made it like a Poulson.

Hurry up with this one....so I can steal some ideas Like you said...if it sucks as a crawler, it'll sure make a nice go-fast of some kind.

FYI...in your pics of the travel...you will more than likely not get even close to that much droop out of it unless you can find some axle/half shafts that have a very high angle of movement.

Last edited by Offroader5; 08-26-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Use the RC4WD portal hubs! That would be awesome! Kinda like a Humvee.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Instead of trying to make a link style swingarm, try making it one piece where the pivot is say 1 to 2 inches wide and uses two rod ends. That would give you plenty of strength as far as side to side movement is concerned. There are a few rock racers besides Walker Evans' that use the same style suspnesion on Pirate if you can find them.
I tried to make this idea work a while back but I lost interest, I hope you can make it work as you are off to a good start
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
RCC Addict

The finished links will be completely one piece. No rod ends at all. Just bearings. It is surprising how much slops even brand new rod ends have:?.

Portals would make it almighty hard to use cvds and not sure of the strength of those things.

Kieren
Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

what if you used a small diff on each end(4 total) then have d-shafts going to the chassis to 4 little motors?

or just a small outrunner at each wheel?
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
what if you used a small diff on each end(4 total) then have d-shafts going to the chassis to 4 little motors?

or just a small outrunner at each wheel?
Four drive shafts to the diffs would be a pita. And 4 out runners would just be expensive. It would also be a pita to set the radio up to use it. You could do that, but I won't be To much thinking involved

Kieren
Old 08-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #20
RCC Addict

[QUOTE}The mini shafts are an awesome idea I was going to use buggy parts as they are easy to get and are quite cheap. The MIPs would cost $70:? I can get a full set of buggy cvds for cheaper than that. 5.5inch wheels would put a bit of load on those little critters. Even if you had one for each wheel.
Kieren[/QUOTE]

Are the buggy CVDs open balls joints on the inner at the dif? Or can they be retained at the dif?
I was showing the MIPs because the set screw or set pin at both ends and are totally retained.

I am gather parts to build my own 3/4 size Poulsons.
Redcat Nitro Difs I have laying around.
Jconcepts BJ4 CVDs I got super cheap.
Delrin + Delrin + vertical mill + maybe TLT knuckles on the front.

Watching this one
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote