Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: DNA steel dig parts...............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default DNA steel dig parts...............

ok since DNA is folding up and going down any body that has had there steel dig parts in there dig for awhile now do they show any wear on them like the alum parts did after a lot of use....i'm just wondering if i should snag a set for a spare while i can....i only had mine in for bout 10 battery packs or so...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
ok since DNA is folding up and going down any body that has had there steel dig parts in there dig for awhile now do they show any wear on them like the alum parts did after a lot of use....i'm just wondering if i should snag a set for a spare while i can....i only had mine in for bout 10 battery packs or so...............bob

I have not heard any negative wear issues but I do not read every thread there is, I bought all of the rebuild kits I could to stock up on for evryone. Hope to have this week.
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i have steel internals that i have been running since march w/o issue.

i usually rebuild 1X a month, or when the locktight in the set screw on the drive dog fails lol

i am hard as hell on it, full throttle engages and disengage, internals show NO WEAR whatso ever,

and im a jackass newb thats unnecessarliy abusive
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I haven't seen any wear on mine, usually 2 cell BL when crawling with some 3S and 4S messing around.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
i have steel internals that i have been running since march w/o issue.

i usually rebuild 1X a month, or when the locktight in the set screw on the drive dog fails lol

i am hard as hell on it, full throttle engages and disengage, internals show NO WEAR whatso ever,

and im a jackass newb thats unnecessarliy abusive
same here. I bought mine sometime back when they came out and after rebuilding my dig a few weeks ago I saw little to NO wear. I have a 3s lipo and a 45t v11, I shift on the fly, mid-air, in a bind you name it. I'm rough on my dig and it's holding up fine!
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

what abou the shifting fork. i need to put in steel internals and when i tore apart the dig the shifting fork is almost trashed. Dna hasnt got back to me yet, wodering if anybody else had this problem.
dgfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've got one with the steel internals, and I'm getting a clicking sound on a hard uphill climb, causing the dogs to slip. I think the egdes may be wearing on mine, but it was likely caused by improper EPAs. I haven't taken it apart yet, so I'm not 100% sure that's what it is though. I have my servo end point so that the servo is just barely before making a noise.

I think I'm going to pick up a set of new internals, and when it gets really bad, I can put them in.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

your DIG servo is too weak, digshift rod torsion screw is loose or set too far back, or the internal dog torsion screw is loose, your servo mounting is flexing broken or weak, or your EPA on that bad ass TQ3 are effed up.

next time youre @ HTW, we can look at it.

what you got goin on there is the shifting side isnt moving far enough and/ strong enough to stay engaged with the DT side.

ive broke the servo mounts, had the screw loose, and burned up a servo with bad EPA's all which cause what yuoure describing

dont buy shit before you know whats wrong! they wont wear dude, trust me

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 09-15-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
your DIG servo is too weak, digshift rod torsion screw is loose or set too far back, or the internal dog torsion screw is loose, your servo mounting is flexing broken or weak, or your EPA on that bad ass TQ3 are effed up.

next time youre @ HTW, we can look at it.

what you got goin on there is the shifting side isnt moving far enough and/ strong enough to stay engaged with the DT side.

ive broke the servo mounts, had the screw loose, and burned up a servo with bad EPA's all which cause what yuoure describing

dont buy shit before you know whats wrong! they wont wear dude, trust me
The servo is 140 oz-in, so that should be more than enough.

A few weeks ago I made sure all screws were tight (except internals, never taken it apart since I bought it from CruzinIllusions, he had just re-built it supposedly)

The servo wire was messing up before though, the comp where you broke the axle casing, my servo wire was loose on the rx end. Sikax10 and I tried messing with it for a bit, but couldn't figure it out. I ended up running the last course dig-less. I replaced the servo connector, and now it seems fine.

The shift fork rod had a set screw (the 4-40 one) that kept coming loose, even with locktite, so I upped it to a M3 Cap screw with locktite, and it seems to be holding just fine for now.

The BAMFTQ3 is fine now, but it is AM, and could have issues keeping the right amount of epa sent to the dig servo. Once I go 2.4GHZ, I think I'll be fine with that. The first EPA pot I installed broke off and would mess with the servo end point, and that may be what was causing it initially. If I set the end point any further the servo starts to hum, meaning it's working to hard and will burn up.

I just upgraded to a Sidewinder (yes, drag brake finally) and a BEC, so I shouldn't have any issues with power to the dig servo.

Only thing left to check is the internal dog screw. I need to get some grease for it though so when it's rebuilt it's good to go.

BTW, I'm getting a 45t for it very soon as well, and looking to go 3s now that I have the SW, either that or go 2s2p with two of my current 2s batteries to increase capacity and current capability. Should be ready to start breaking more stuff!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i consider it good practice to rebuild and regrease my dig once every couple months, or when that damn screw come loose

familiarize yourself with it

and i can sell you my old Novak45. id suggest new $5 brushes, but its a damn good motor

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 09-16-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I did notice there is alot of wear on the shift fork, but nothing on the internals. I asked awhile back if they offered just the shift fork, but got no response.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

yeah i left a message in the customer service thread and also emailed them. hopefully i can figure something out. mine is pretty thin:-(
dgfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i consider it good practice to rebuild and regrease my dig once every couple months, or when that damn screw come loose

and i can sell you my old Novak45. id suggest new $5 brushes, but its a damn good motor
I'm getting a 45t Integy from tonylivestoday (he's getting out of the hobby) for $10, that's what I meant by getting a 45t soon.

When I get my BEC back from Castle being serviced, I plan on a complete tear-down rebuild of the rig, axles and all, just need to get grease though.
I won't be able to make it to a comp until sometime in october because of my schedule, so I've got a little time to get it all going again.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
"HOLLYWOOD"

My internals have about a year and some months and show no wear unlike the alum. that were in there befoe looked like I had them for 20 years when I took them out.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfordman View Post
what abou the shifting fork. i need to put in steel internals and when i tore apart the dig the shifting fork is almost trashed. Dna hasnt got back to me yet, wodering if anybody else had this problem.
same with my shift fork...never did see on their web site if it was sold seperate.
redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

as far as i know shift forks come in the $30 rebuild kit...
Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #17

Quote:
as far as i know shift forks come in the $30 rebuild kit...
the last rebuild kit I bought did not have a replacement fork...it was bought thru someone else then DNA...maybe they lost it?
redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

took apart the dig today, and yeah it's starting to round the corners...

you can see it most on the notch on the bottom of the casing.

Looks like i'll soon be in the market for a new dig... bwd's new u-dig seems interesting...
Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Oh that's the casing, isn't it? The rest of the gears being steel, the case is aluminum right? I need to check mine, last time I don't think I checked the casing. I rarely use dig though.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Ya, the casing has it the worst... come to think of it, the dogs are fine, but I can't figure out why it "slips" in 4wd. I don't think I've seen it slip in dig, even though the casing is starting to round. So I am confused now.

The dog set-screw is tight and locktite was applied. The end points were re-adjusted after the rebuild and it will still occassionally slip.

So I am confused!