Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Sport/Sportsman Class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
But I bet if you asked the guys that are REALLY good at crawling about how they practice, they will tell you they will work that obstacle until they get it. Even if it takes them an hour, I would.
I hear Austin drives his truck almost every day at LRC.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #82
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
As far as my comp rig not being that much better than one I just tossed together...there are several ways you could factor that. The least of which could be that I'm a crappy driver/builder.

The reason I feel we should put a limit on parts is that it can be very intimidating to go to a comp and be surrounded by tricked out rigs. I am one that understands that its the driver that makes the difference, but for others its hard to see past the cool parts. If you get beat by a rig not built much more than yours, you're more inclined to work on your driving skill vs loading up on new parts.

Personally I have no problem going up against a blinged out rig, but I've already established myself into the hobby. Its the noobs that I'm thinking of here.
So if some at the comp gets there in a new pick-up and I pull up in my POS flatbed that I drive, They are got on really nice clothes and gold rings and stuff, and I have my holely jeans and torn shirt on . I should be intimidated by them .

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding because, I've never enter in to a hobbie with the out look of everyone thats been doing it for a while should still be at the same level as me going in. I 've always wanted to learn from the guys that are doing it good so I could do it like they are and kick their ass some day. Why do you think a lot of the guys we comp with have me in their gun sites.
Thats the fun of it, if thats not fun for a person maybe the hobbie is not for that person.

I've tried hobbies and that didn't lite my fire and went to a other one.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #83
Suck it up!

Quote:
Noobs will come to the same realization you did without ant special hand holding.I have faith in them ;)
I came to that conclusion loooong before I made it into rc's. Probably long before I was into 1:1's too.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #84
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin4fun View Post
If you read the rules chevellian listed ( I actually came up with them last fall for our club) all I did was take the official 2.2 rules and add a 2 channel only rule, 7 cell ni-mh or 2 cell lipo rule, no modified or custom tires rule and the only moa's allowed are RTR moa trucks such as the cliff climber and redcat sc-10.

also the same vehicle cannot compete in the standard 2.2 class and sportsman class at the same comp. If you want to compete in both classes you need 2 trucks.

it keeps it simple and easy to police
The 2 channel Radio don't make sence to me. If I only plug in 2 channels whats the differance.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

It has nothing to do with noobs.....I have won plenty of comps and was invited to the nats last year.....I now compete in the sportsman class because it is more fun to me than the standard 2.2 class. Its just another option, or sometimes stepping stone, that has been very popular in our club. We started running a sportsman class at the beginning of the spring season and it is by far our most popular class......will it be for other clubs? who knows but it fits right in with ours
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #86
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
So if some at the comp gets there in a new pick-up and I pull up in my POS flatbed that I drive, They are got on really nice clothes and gold rings and stuff, and I have my holely jeans and torn shirt on . I should be intimidated by them.
Only if that comp involves male modeling as a tie breaker.

Quote:
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding because, I've never enter in to a hobbie with the out look of everyone thats been doing it for a while should still be at the same level as me going in. I 've always wanted to learn from the guys that are doing it good so I could do it like they are and kick their ass some day. Why do you think a lot of the guys we comp with have me in their gun sites.
Thats the fun of it, if thats not fun for a person maybe the hobbie is not for that person.
Those that have experience will not be at the same level as someone coming in new, even though they may be in the same class. You said you want this class to be a drivers class. You will get that by limiting the allowable mods. Less thinking about parts, more thinking about driving.

Look at it this way:

A noob gets his ass handed to him by a guy with a full blown comp rig. Chances are he's going to look at his nearly stock RTR and see how much money he's going to have to spend to get it up to a comperable level.

Take that same noob and let him get his ass handed to him by someone that has a nearly identical rig. He'll be more apt to understand what he really needs to improve.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The 2 channel Radio don't make sence to me. If I only plug in 2 channels whats the differance.

not 2 channel radio....only 2 channels can be used, 1 for steering and 1 for throttle/reverse

you can even have a dig installed, you just can't use it
Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You were not getting beat by superior rigs, you were getting beat by superior drivers. I bet if you handed them your truck and radio, they would walk lines you struggle with. At our last comp one of the new guys was messing around afterwords trying to get over a 2 foot tall rock with his Berg. He spent 20 minutes and never made it. Justin handed me the radio and said "you try". Mind you, I had never driven his truck and I was over the rock in 20 seconds......

Same truck, different driver.....
The problem I had was I picked up a "tricked out" rig and drove lines the owner didn't know were possible. I got beat by my lack of money to buy parts. Without dig you can't get up cliffs, you can't turn as sharp, and you get either rollover penalties or reverse penalties.

I have the capability as a driver.

Quote:
Look at it this way:

A noob gets his ass handed to him by a guy with a full blown comp rig. Chances are he's going to look at his nearly stock RTR and see how much money he's going to have to spend to get it up to a comperable level.

Take that same noob and let him get his ass handed to him by someone that has a nearly identical rig. He'll be more apt to understand what he really needs to improve.
Thats the way I saw it at first: the guys who win are winning because they have the shiny new parts, and money invested (and a little practice, but practice is free) whereas if one of the winning guys ran the same rig as me, it would have inspired me to become a better driver.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
The problem I had was I picked up a "tricked out" rig and drove lines the owner didn't know were possible. I got beat by my lack of money to buy parts. Without dig you can't get up cliffs, you can't turn as sharp, and you get either rollover penalties or reverse penalties.

I have the capability as a driver.

Thats the way I saw it at first: the guys who win are winning because they have the shiny new parts, and money invested (and a little practice, but practice is free) whereas if one of the winning guys ran the same rig as me, it would have inspired me to become a better driver.
Um, What is stopping you from using a dig? Pick up a $10.00 TQ3, $3.99 switch form the shack, and about $19.00 worth of parts from the LHS. The first digs I ran was just that and they worked great, I just had to spend time building them.

People who go on and on about not being able to keep up with the cost of crawling always perplex me. They always seem to have a Slash, a Drift car, and an Eflight heli sitting around. Me, I usually pick one hobby that really interests me and then dedicate my time and resources (money) to being the best at that activity I can.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #90
Old guy

Quote:
Only if that comp involves male modeling as a tie breaker.

Those that have experience will not be at the same level as someone coming in new, even though they may be in the same class. You said you want this class to be a drivers class. You will get that by limiting the allowable mods. Less thinking about parts, more thinking about driving.

Look at it this way:

Here's what I want to build

TLT AXLES loaded RCP ring and pioion,cvc, clocked Cs, straight axle rear
Axial tranny
after market chassis ,can't use a sotck TLT chassis
35t motor with heavy brushes
beadlocks wheels
hotbody tires or new panthers
bent links
mamba esc
flashy new body
3cell lipo
What can I not have.

Last edited by ROCKEDUP RICKY; 09-30-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #91
RCC Addict

wow, I read the whole thing and with this being a hot topic at our local clubs I have to admit there are pros and cons but still no mercy for the newbs, kids, and wives of some of us that put their rigs up at comp time and dont compete. Novice, sportsman, whatever it needs to be called should be used to get new people in the hobby and help them learn the driver skills soooo desperately needed to be competitive.

If the pro drivers want to play then let them play with a point handicap based on local knowledge of that particular person (Example) If Austin wants to play no problem because he is going to have to overcome a 20 point handicap this crawl and if he wins it will be 25 points and so forth up to a 5 wins which he would no longer be allowed to run novice. On the same note if a Newbie wins 5 then he should be ready to move up to full blown 2.2 class.

Keep the rules simple, NO DIG, 8.4 volts max. Simply put you got to keep it simple for the newbie or not so talented people and not cater so much to the less than pro guys that want to dominate a lower level that is really neede to promote the Hobby. And BTW dont we have a rules committee that should be setting down the Novice class rules??

Anyway I checked my pockets and that was my 2c worth.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Axial tranny
beadlocks wheels
bent links
mamba esc
flashy new body

What can I not have.
I don't see anything wrong w/ that list.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Um, What is stopping you from using a dig? Pick up a $10.00 TQ3, $3.99 switch form the shack, and about $19.00 worth of parts from the LHS. The first digs I ran was just that and they worked great, I just had to spend time building them.

People who go on and on about not being able to keep up with the cost of crawling always perplex me. They always seem to have a Slash, a Drift car, and an Eflight heli sitting around. Me, I usually pick one hobby that really interests me and then dedicate my time and resources (money) to being the best at that activity I can.

It's not about the Money, It actually costs more money because most of the guys have standard 2.2 trucks and sportsman trucks, but now they get to run 2 classes and have more wheel time, and having a place for new guys and digless shaftys or cliff climbers to compete without getting completely stomped on is just a bonus
Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Axial tranny
beadlocks wheels
bent links
mamba esc
flashy new body

What can I not have.
depends on what your local club says you can have.....there are no "real" rules for this class, its a club level thing
Old 09-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #95
Old guy

IT's 3 classes

NOVICE: For begainers

SPORTSMAN: lowbuget class for everyone

PRO: Full competition
Old 09-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

"And BTW dont we have a rules committee that should be setting down the Novice class rules??" quote

all the rules for this class should be handled by the local clubs, what works for one club may not work for others......make the rules fit the club, not the club fit the rules
Old 09-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #97
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin4fun View Post
depends on what your local club says you can have.....there are no "real" rules for this class, its a club level thing
Yes I realize that, I'm was asking one of my club members what he thought of what I wanted to build.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
IT's 3 classes

NOVICE: For begainers

SPORTSMAN: lowbuget class for everyone

PRO: Full competition

our club doesn't have a "novice class" but if a novice class would work for another club than they should create one.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj069 View Post
wow, I read the whole thing and with this being a hot topic at our local clubs I have to admit there are pros and cons but still no mercy for the newbs, kids, and wives of some of us that put their rigs up at comp time and dont compete. Novice, sportsman, whatever it needs to be called should be used to get new people in the hobby and help them learn the driver skills soooo desperately needed to be competitive.

If the pro drivers want to play then let them play with a point handicap based on local knowledge of that particular person (Example) If Austin wants to play no problem because he is going to have to overcome a 20 point handicap this crawl and if he wins it will be 25 points and so forth up to a 5 wins which he would no longer be allowed to run novice. On the same note if a Newbie wins 5 then he should be ready to move up to full blown 2.2 class.

Keep the rules simple, NO DIG, 8.4 volts max. Simply put you got to keep it simple for the newbie or not so talented people and not cater so much to the less than pro guys that want to dominate a lower level that is really neede to promote the Hobby. And BTW dont we have a rules committee that should be setting down the Novice class rules??

Anyway I checked my pockets and that was my 2c worth.

But once again, you are penalizing success. If I lose or win, I want the playing field equal. I spend a crap load of time running, tuning, adjusting, running more, tuning more, etc. Why in the hell should I get a 20 point penalty because someone else is either new or does not have the dedication to the hobby that I have.

I have been to plenty of comps where I was destroyed. I went to Crawlapalooza last year and got stomped. Red Rock in CO in July, I finished 67 out of 75. At either event did I feel that any person had an advantage due to the amount of money they had in their rig? Hell no. I was happy to be around awesome drivers and be able to see what they did so I could learn.

Now, look at it this way. I own a company, have the skills, and the machinery to out class just about anyone when it comes to killer bling/trick rigs. I Bet you could drop $50,000.00 in my lap and say "Build a truck to beat Austin, Joe, Brad, Etc.....but you have to be the one to drive it." Those 3 would mop the floor with me by spending next to nothing because they are great drivers.

Sportsman = 1.9
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #100
Suck it up!

Quote:

Axial tranny
beadlocks wheels
bent links
mamba esc
flashy new body

What can I not have.
I know two things about TLT axles. Jack, and Squat. This does bring up a good question though...what to do about "frankenstien" rigs.

The only things I would question would be the parts for the TLT axles, and your choice in chassis's.

If those parts you want to put on the axles are more than $30 per item (or items...depends on how they are packaged) then they are a no-no.

If the TLT chassis is not usable (not sure why that is...but whatev) then find a stock chassis that is or make your own.