Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Advice for Vendors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Advice for Vendors

Friends:

I tried unsuccessfully to post in the vendors forum where I think this bit of advice might have more effect.

I would like to suggest to all vendors to include the small hardware that one expects with their products. I recently ordered a pair of motors from one of the greats here, and no mounting screws were included. This of course implies that one has to order some more from a different source, and when you add shipping and all, it comes out to several dollars per screw, that the motor seller could have included and at almost no cost. Most of us have graduated from kits and have bought fastener assortments, but some stuff simply isn't part of these sets.

I also recently bought a pair of pinions from another manufacturer (one of the huge ones!) and it came without set screws. Again the same problems: Wasted time, lots of extra shipping money etc.

We live in a world of great customer service today, and if we don't supply it eventually someone else will. Our business will go with those thoughtful businesses that consider these small details, so vendors, please think about it.

Migs
Migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I aggree, I also have recieved many a pinion drive shaft yoke or other attachment that came with no set screw or hardware. a lot of them don't say weather or not they are included either and I think they should atleast include that information. I think if you are selling a new part, you should include new hardware with it. just my .02
Most of them do a pretty good job tho. I tend to ask if there's any question but you make a good point.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
I would like to suggest to all vendors to include the small hardware that one expects with their products.
One thing on that note,some parts can work with several different parts depending on the drivers preference. In some cases,a guy would have to send 20 bolts for one hole in a part because of the versatility in that part.

Some parts,will retain the stock or existing hardware...like pinions.

Quote:
I recently ordered a pair of motors from one of the greats here, and no mounting screws were included.
I've bought motors from vendors here as well as big on line shops and local hobby shops. In all my years of buying motors,I've yet to buy a motor that comes with mounting hardware. Honestly,I'd rather it be that way. I like to pick my own hardware rather than deal with soft cheap bolts that strip easy.

Quote:
Most of us have graduated from kits and have bought fastener assortments, but some stuff simply isn't part of these sets.
Buying hardware in bulk from McMaster-Carr or several others is better than buying hardware kits. You get to pick what you want and the quantity....at a fraction of the cost
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I've bought motors from vendors here as well as big on line shops and local hobby shops. In all my years of buying motors,I've yet to buy a motor that comes with mounting hardware.
I've gotten screws with all the Tekin motors I've got, and my only Axiom.
I think items such as pinions and yokes that have a specific thread to them should come with the desired screw. To me it's common sense and good customer service.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
I've gotten screws with all the Tekin motors I've got, and my only Axiom. I think items such as pinions and yokes that have a specific thread to them should come with the desired screw. To me it's common sense and good customer service.
Well,you have a point there,I've never bought a Tekin or Axiom motor. If they do come with hardware,good deal. I still like to choose my own,nothing worse than a stripped bolt or threads.

I'd never base my motor choice on the fact that they come with hardware or not.

Not arguing at all,just good conversation. One thing I do is stick with one brand or make sure the threads in a part are the same as I use. If the threads aren't the same as I use,I make them the same. I then buy hardware in bulk. Makes things ALLOT easier. You don't need to pack around so many tools if all your hardware is the same 2 or 3 sizes.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I didn't use the screws that came with my tekins...They were to short for berg mounts and looked like the threads would fall off if you look at them wrong.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
RCC Addict

random screw jar for the win !

i never throw away screws because i know that in the future im going to need it. just keeping an altoids tin of set screws and random small hardware has saved me alot of time and hassle in every hobby ive taken a part of.

and really complaining about mounting screws for a comp grade motor? im pretty sure you'll be able to find a small 3m screw and a small washer if you dug through your tool box or even your couch
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I was a little pissed when I bought a set of aluminum C-hubs and got no screws. The first set I bought had them, so now I know what company not to buy parts from any more!
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ialso agree but after the first time that happened i purchased a huge assortment of screws bolts nuts washers and every time i head to the hooby store i purchase more so when and where i have what is needed.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I totally agree, You should have an assortment of nuts and bolts. When you buy parts to up grade your rig you should get the right hardware. That's what I think
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

In the case of the motors and the pinions, neither vendor describes the size of the required item. I did not mention it, but you all can imagine the frustration of receiving the items and not being able to install them.

Ordering from an outfit like McMaster implies a level of knowledge about what to get, not to mention that the items at McMaster are not RC specific, so inevitably the process is more difficult than ordering an assortment from a "R/C hobby vendor".
Migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

So really those that complain about the small stuff want "kits" to build their "custom" rig? Really?

Everyone should buy hardware to have on hand. An assortment of screws, nuts and washers in a variety of sizes. In this area of the hobby, nothing goes together the way it should. Be prepared to BUILT your rig.

I like to buy from boltdepot.com for my RC hardware needs. Prompt and fast shipping. Never an issue.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If it was one of my Cobalt motors, it would use 4-40 screws. SAE is really hard to get in about everywhere but the US. I try to include them with every foreign order, but don't always remember. More that once I have gotten emails about it, so I can understand your pain sourcing small parts.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Buying hardware in bulk from McMaster-Carr or several others is better than buying hardware kits. You get to pick what you want and the quantity....at a fraction of the cost
That one is a brilliant Idea, do they ship to Greece, Italy, Portugal, South Africa, India etc???
Small hardware are not readily available everywhere and the thread starter lives in Bolivia. Here in Greece it is easy to find 2, 3 and 4mm cap heads in most lengths but only in black oxide. No SS no Ti hardware is easily accessible, meaning I have to talk to factories for really bulk orders of at least 500 euro.

I'd love to have an McMaster or equivalent store around here not only for the hardware but for a gazillion other stuff.

Bottom line is that if I buy a part that needs this button screw but does not include it, I might have to wait for another two weeks for the screw to arrive. Just like I did with bot both my DNA digs.

Novel over
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
That one is a brilliant Idea, do they ship to Greece, Italy, Portugal, South Africa, India etc???
That I do not know,sorry. I assume they would,but if they didn't I would think there would be a place that would. I just realized the thread starters location.

Quote:
Ordering from an outfit like McMaster implies a level of knowledge about what to get, not to mention that the items at McMaster are not RC specific, so inevitably the process is more difficult than ordering an assortment from a "R/C hobby vendor".
From my experience,99% of the fasteners that are used by vendors here and most hobby grade RC parts is 3mm x .5 pitch. There are some that do use 4-40 SAE. There are some uses for 4mm and 5mm stuff in link ends,wheel nuts,slipper clutches and such. If it helps any,when I place an order for hardware to keep in my personal toolbox,this is whats in my shopping list....

Note,all numbers in red are McMaster part numbers if you need to search their site.

Button head stainless 3mm x .5 pitch....

Length
5 mm 92095A177 $6.78 per Pack of 100
6 mm 92095A179 4.47 per Pack of 100
8 mm 92095A181 10.21 per Pack of 100
10 mm 92095A182 8.38 per Pack of 100
12 mm 92095A183 3.87 per Pack of 100
14 mm 92095A168 5.52 per Pack of 50
16 mm 92095A184 7.79 per Pack of 100
20 mm 92095A185 6.02 per Pack of 50
25 mm 92095A186 6.13 per Pack of 50
30 mm 92095A187 6.55 per Pack of 50
35 mm 92095A201 3.99 per Pack of 25
40 mm 92095A203 5.03 per Pack of 25

Stainless Socket Cap Screws 3mm x .5 pitch....

4 mm Fully Threaded 91292A109 $2.86 per Pack of 50
5 mm Fully Threaded 91292A110 6.99 per Pack of 100
6 mm Fully Threaded 91292A111 6.64 per Pack of 100
8 mm Fully Threaded 91292A112 5.08 per Pack of 100
10 mm Fully Threaded 91292A113 5.85 per Pack of 100
12 mm Fully Threaded 91292A114 3.15 per Pack of 100
14 mm Fully Threaded 91292A027 3.26 per Pack of 100
16 mm Fully Threaded 91292A115 3.24 per Pack of 100

Stainless 3mm x .5 pitch set screws

6 mm 92029A103 6.27 per Pack of 25
8 mm 92029A105 7.10 per Pack of 25
12 mm 92029A109 10.77 per Pack of 25
16 mm 92029A110 7.14 per Pack of 10

Stainless 4mm x .7 pitch set screws....

20 mm 92015A201 7.48 per Pack of 25
25 mm 92015A203 7.22 per Pack of 25

Zinc-Plated Metric Nylon-Insert Hex Lock nuts

M3 x 0.5 90576A102 2.82 per pack of 100

Metric Hex Nuts

M3 x 0.5 90591A121 1.33 per pack of 100
Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

the best thing you can do is buys a box of misc screws. when i first got into the hobby i bought a small box of metric screws from the hobby shop, i think it was made by tamiya. alternativly you can buy replacment screw kits for some rc vehicles for around $25. if your able to find a kit for what you have its the best thing you can do. even if you find a kit for something else itll give you stuff you will always need or use.

the worst thing ever is being out with the rc and having a screw fall out and it ends your day because you dont have a spare.

back on topic, when something uses non industry standard screws (like a motor), imho they should be included. nothing worse than swapping motor and using what you think is the correct screw because 20 other motors you had are the same, and you end up stripping the threads because of it. i think pinions should always have set screws included, it seems every time i get one without i end up trying to use the wrong thread. however direct bolt on hop ups that are designed for factory hardware, its not really needed.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
RCC Addict

In my 20 years of RC'in, I've never had a motor come with mounting screws. How would they know how thick the mounting plate is? Could easily have too short or too long of screws depending on the particular vehicle.

Pinions coming without set screws is a different matter. That's inexcusable.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #18
RCC Addict

RPP Hobby for the Win... They have 3mm 125 pc assorted sets in Stock on their site. They also sell bulk packs of 3mm locknuts. I am sure if Corey doesnt have what you need on the site he has it in the storew whick is just a phone call away.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

GREAT information Reflection! That should be posted in the Tips & Tricks section as well. I'm not complaining by any means either, I just think some things should come with the hardware that fits what they are intended to go with. Not everyone in the "hobby", has multiple rigs and some folks are just starting out. It can be discouraging if you don't know what to get, how long or what pitch. As I said before, I think it boils down to plus-ing up the customer service. A guy who's just got his first rig and is taking a stab at modifying it, doesn't need 100 3x5mm set screws. I purchased several 50-100 lots of CARR screws for the 4 CORA Crawlers since the yokes and pinions came with out them. (It didn't say so on the site either)
Being in R/C's I knew I would need them for my self as well, but still, it was frustraiting to not have all the pieces and pay for another shipment.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #20
Suck it up!

I scored a Revo bolt kit off of ebay for $3. Had 100+ screws in various sizes, but mostly 3mm.

I'd also like to ad that vendors need to include more stickers. I always run out really quickly.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote