Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axial Kit to HR MOA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
varcor.org

Default Axial Kit to HR MOA

Instead of piggy backing on one of the other buildup of the latest set of axles on the market, I decided to start another buildup. Basically, this is my findings with the Hot Racing Black On board power axle kit or HR MOA. I kit my prerunner which is basically a slightly modified Axial AX-10 kit. Stripped it down to a roller since I'm bringing the electronics as a backup for Nationals.

This is what I find:

Pros:
* Lower center of gravity.
* Slightly higher ground clearance at the lowest point, approximately 1/8 to 3/16 inch increase, than stock.
* Stronger axle housing than stock.
* Adjustable link and shock mounts.
* Easy to swap in with minimal additional parts - another motor, pinion, wire connectors, and wire.
* No wheelbase or width changes.

Cons:
* Play in the axle (rotational play) due to the upper link mount (pivot ball). This is similar to the stock Axial setup.
* Upper link is off center, approximately 3mm or 1/8 inch.

Recommendations:
* Swap the pivot ball/ball joint for fuel tube or make a new upper link.
* Tighten all bolts and lock-tite the servo mount and bracket screws.
( I personally don't like the philip head screws, so I plan on swapping them to hex bolts.

Concerns:
* Even though the stock steering mount looks decent, I'm still concern about the long term effects of it being mounted to the axle with only two bolts and the servo mount being two pieces. Until I cranked down on the all the bolts, the mount would twist at full lock.
* If you have a RTR or ARTR, then you will need to acquire another set of knuckles, axle stubs, and ball bearings.

Additional thoughts:
* You can you your stock electronic plate to mount your electronics.
* The stock skid plate makes a great location for your batteries. My Max Amp 2000 mah 3C fits perfectly. Also, my E-Flite 1250 mah 3C fits too.
* You can still use your existing saddles on the housing - either zip tie them or fab up your own axle mounts.
* I know with the stock Axial setup, people were having issues with the Losi Rock Crawler shocks due to length and mounting. You still have to deal with the upper shock mounts but due to the HR link mount, the upper hole should resolve the issue for length (not a 100% sure).

In my opinion, this is a good alternative to the Berg or Clod axles if you're in interested in switching to a MOA setup for Axial owners. Is it better than the berg, that's still to be determined. My plans for the axles is use them in an upcoming tuber build.

swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the detailed info. So is that the way the servo mounts stock on the HR axles or did you stand it up like that?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
varcor.org

No, that is how it mounts. The 2 screws at the very bottom mounts to the axle. The 2 screws on the side adjusts the two-piece bracket for servo mount.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
RCC Addict

So has anyone tried to use the Axial CVD with these yet? If its stock parts it should work but im just curious, mine wont get here till this week
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

the axles are not interchangable. and as for the top mount , i used a berg topmount it just takes one hole to be drilled and its 4 link centered unlike the 3 link mount. and kamakazi's electronics tray fits the rear axle like it was made for it. i took my rig out today and it is incredible. ill start a thread when i upload my pics tonight.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Had mine for about 2 weeks now - I replaced all the phillips head with 3mm socket head - costs about $4.00 to do both axles - works like a dream. I must have gotten a set after they fixed the 1/8" off center - mine are perfect. I built a new 4 link & servo mount - 4 Link & horiz. servo for HR MOA - very easy to do and works great. Can't say anything about durability yet - should have my slingshot build done this week & will report back.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I thought you were selling those axles? If not, have you tested yet. I just got my KK stuff to finish my conversion with mine. Be interesting to see the difference between the two setups.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Hahaha. I just noticed something, when i said my axles will be here this week. I think these were the exact same axles i bought off ebay!

Thanks man !
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
varcor.org

welcome dude...

mark, culetto picked them up from me. i need to stick with one style of axles for now and learn to drive all over again since i switched to dual esc and twin sticks on the berg. plus, i have too many projects going on at home and on the heep... damn, not enough time or money for all my hobbies...
Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell searcher View Post
mark, culetto picked them up from me. i need to stick with one style of axles for now and learn to drive all over again since i switched to dual esc and twin sticks on the berg. plus, i have too many projects going on at home and on the heep... damn, not enough time or money for all my hobbies...
Interesting, why the dual ESC's? Didn't like the switches? Good luck with the learning curve. I hear you on the projects, way too many and not enough time. I've got crap just sitting, waiting to be built.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

When you go to a twin stick radio, with dual ECS'S you can run each motor seperately.
sniper08 is offline   Reply With Quote