Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tamiya Tranny ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tamiya Tranny ?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXGHK3&P=K

Anybody know anything about this tranny? It's off a Twin Detonator. Any idea about the ratios? Looks like it would be big and clunky, and no idea if it would be possible to attach sliders to it, but heck, since it comes with a silver can, basically I'd only be wasting about 3 bucks to try it.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

With the stock 18t pinion, the gear ratio is 18.3:1. With the optional 20t pinion, it's 16.5:1. For comparison, a Pede tranny with a 90t spur & 12t pinion has a gear ratio of 20.4:1. The Twin Detonator uses these to drive the dogbones: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGD88&P=M
They aren't held in place by anything other than the dogbones, so you'd have to find (or have made) some splined shafts that would fit in ther place and provide a place to attach Traxxas output yokes. You'd also need to figure out a way to keep them from falling out of the diff gear. The stock gearbox joints have a groove just outside of the splines, so maybe there's room inside the gearbox to use e-clips to retain them. I'm not certain of that & don't have a Twin Det to open up to check.
razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Wow, thanks a ton, that's some awesome info. If this forum had rep points you'd be getting a few.

For only $25 for the tranny and the outdrives, and then figure out a way to put maxx output yokes on overtop of those. It looks too wide to mount sideways, but if I mounted it vertically, with a small outrunner up top... hmmm... worth a shot maybe...
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 PM   #4

I have a retired twin dagger which uses the same gearboxes and most other parts. I have both trannys built with ball bearings. I'd have to check the condition, there might be a crack or two on one of the mounting holes for shocks as the shock tower is integrated, but if you are using it to make a custom tranny they should be in good shape for what you need. Internals are in exellent shape. I might be willing to sell it if you are even interested although that price on tower is pretty good cause I think that even comes with a motor. Originally I was thinking of doing the same thing with my tlt but I gave up and took the easy way that everyone else has done with the pede tranny. Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by crawlak; 12-14-2005 at 11:58 PM.
crawlak is offline   Reply With Quote