Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: suspension q's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #1

Default suspension q's?

i see a lot of triangulated 4 links around, and i was wondering if anyone ever tried a radius arm type set up.
diablo0072k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo0072k
radius arm type set up.
im kina of a noob but can you elaborate? or post some pics even if its from a 1:1
seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Look at the front end of pretty much every Ford SFA setup out there. Most of them came stock with a radius arm setup (outside of leafs), and most modifications done to them are just improvements to the radius arms.

IMO, you don't see many radius arm setups (3-links) on RC crawlers because usually there is more articulation than many trac-bar setups can handle properly. And since we are dealing with, relatively, easy suspensions here, it is just easy enough, and cheap enough, to install a full 4-link.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
Look at the front end of pretty much every Ford SFA setup out there. Most of them came stock with a radius arm setup (outside of leafs), and most modifications done to them are just improvements to the radius arms.

IMO, you don't see many radius arm setups (3-links) on RC crawlers because usually there is more articulation than many trac-bar setups can handle properly. And since we are dealing with, relatively, easy suspensions here, it is just easy enough, and cheap enough, to install a full 4-link.
A 3link is different from a radius arm suspension.
3 link http://www.pirate4x4.com/productreviews/eor_3link/
wishbone 3 link http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/pr...r_motorsports/
radius arm http://classicbroncos.com/long_radius_arms.shtml

I was thinking on a radius arm suspension. It would require the bushings to flex to get articulation. The vertical path is fine. But articulation it would either flex the axle or just bind up and not flex. Does that make any sense.

Cole

Last edited by Cole82; 12-12-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82
A 3link is different from a radius arm suspension.
Technically, a radius arm setup with a track (panhard) bar is a 3-link suspension.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

When counting a link suspension. A panhard barn is not included.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I will disagree (although this debate is just semantics and I could show multiple examples to prove my point), but will agree to disagree and let this thread get back on topic.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #8

sowhy exactly doesnt anyone run a radius arm set up? cause you need a track bar. i know it twists up like a ***** on real buggies. blwa.org. look for pics of psychobilly's s-10 that has a radius arm setup in the front.
diablo0072k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The track bar wouldnt really be relevant, as long as it's perfectly horizontal it wouldnt affect the flex much.

It's just not worth it when you can do a 4 link just as easy. Plus (it seems like) there would be flex steer issues.
bobbo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

One of the main reasons that guys run a radius arm style is because of space issues and such. Most guys running radius arm are running it in the front only due to oil pan issues and others. You don't see many radius arms in the rear cuz anything that could get in the way of a double tri. 4 link can,most of the time,be done away with or cut off and moved. A properly built double tri. 4 link will provide better axle placement throughout the entire range of wheeltravel. Also,with a double tri. 4 link,if you break a link,you can remove that one and still drive it. Probly not the best idea on the road,if your out in the middle of nowhere though,it sure beats pushing,towing or walking.

It can be done on a RC crawler,theres a few threads I remember that guys were discussing it. However,it's to easy to just build a 4 link and be done with it. You'll have better performance and it'll be alot easier.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote