Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: steering question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default steering question...

I noticed that there are two different kinds of rear steer... there is the independant that is controled seperately and there is the what I call fixed rear steer where it only takes on control when you steer right or left the rear turns in the other direction. Now what I was woundering what are the major difference between them and whats the pros and cons between them?

Thanks
-RR
RockRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I am working off of 1:1 experiance but I assume it is similiar. With what you call fixed steering you have the benefit of very tight turns. But withindepent steering you will be able to actually crab walk which is where you make both f&r point in the same direction and make the rig actually drive side ways. With independent steering you have more control of the situation, more options.
donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

o ok the crabwalk I like that lol I knew there was a name but didnt know what to call it is it that much harder to do independant rear steer? cause I saw the lil switch deal for the stock traxxas controller wich I thought would be pretty cool because I happen to have one and a spare reciever Being new to rock crawling I have all these basic questions but its good to have loads of info from people! now with that lil switch setup do you know if its like a steering wheel on a controller in that when you let go it straightens out or does it stay that way and you have to align it straight again?

thanks,
-RR
Old 12-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #4

the little switch is a 3-position switch, when you push it to the left position, the rear wheels turn left and stay there until you pull the switch back to the center position. If you push the switch to the right, the rear wheels turn right and stay there until you pull the switch back to the center position. Basically the rear steering has 3 locked positions, left, center, and right. Proportional steering(like w/ a steering wheel) can be achieved, but involves much more complicated electronics. Search the electronics forum for more info on this subject, it has been discussed thouroughly.

Ary
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

there is a write up on how to do it. I have not done it yet but doesnt look overly complecated.
donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys Ill look into it!
Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #7

the controler they sell in the Crawler store has the switch in it already.. Yes when you push left the wheels go left untill you let off the switch they self center (if your trims are centered)..they also just sell the switch.....
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
RCC Addict

For just bashing around, regular regular rear steer is fine. But for any serious crawling, independently controlled rear steer is a MUST.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:23 AM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

well I have used both and I personnaly think the rear steer using a Y harness sucks. You have no control over it. in some situations, you want to just go straight up a rock,but can't.. For instance, your climbing and you adjust your front wheels to the right just a tad, well your left rear wheels just moved left and now that just screwed you because it moved your rear over and it is no longer lined up.

With indy rear rear steer, you only move the rear end when you need to. for instance.. your climbing an obstacle and to get up it, you have to keep to the right or you will fall into a big hole. well your front gets past it and now you can turn your rear tires to stay to the right as well. If you had a Y channel, your rear tires would have turned left right into the hole when you steered your front tires around the hole..

hopefully you understand what my dumbass is trying to explain

plus another couple good points to having Indy rear steer is- you are not always using both servos, so that saves you on battery/runtime.. also, it helps if you do not have a good enough ESC with a good BEC rating. Another thing is, some of the Y-harness ordeals add to glitching problems. I had 2 of them once before, one worked great and the other would glitch the truck..

so there are a few more things to think about.The mod only takes a few minutes if you are able to solder. AdamF did my first one when this mod became known. I did my 2nd one and the longest part of the whole process is taking the screws out of the radio to get it apart. You can just buy one from Kevin(CRawler store) and it is already installed

hope that helps

Last edited by TwistedCreations; 12-15-2005 at 04:26 AM.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

I'm running a 1/4 scale servo in the center of the chassis with bellcranks on each axle for 4WS. So far,I'm tickled with the performance. I'll admit,there has been a couple times that indy rear steer would have been nice to have. If I was more into going to comps and stuff I'd probly go with indy rear steer cuz it does have a few benifits. For me personally,the regular ol' 4WS works just fine.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

On my 1:1 I would never have it working with the rear. You need to have control over the rear. You may want the rear to track a different line going over a rock than what the front is doing.

-Dan
509 Media is offline   Reply With Quote