Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 10"s of articulation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 10"s of articulation

Well after a little tweeking i have 10"s of articulation front and 10"s in the rear with all other three tires on the ground . I didnt know it could flex like this with the mods. Next up is the good ol tummy tuck.

icu_runnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

did ya just inbored the shocks?
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yeah and drilled straight though the tab under the pivot point . Need some pics? The rear can almost do 11"s but i didnt have anything to shove under the tire to pick it up. That and its cold out.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
RCC Addict

yeah some pics would help
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i have only 9 inch on mine i did the tab trick. i think i did something different becuase my friend also did and he only got 7inches
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have no shocks at all and i can only get 8.75 inches.
bigsuzuki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:24 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

me and a friend are getting around 13" of flex
whuzzz_up_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

whats your suspension setup dogg?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:02 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsuzuki86
whats your suspension setup dogg?
we inborded the shocks front and rear cut the tabs out of the rear and trimmed up the blue control arms front and rear so they dont hit when flexed out and a little body trimming thats it.The key is to put the shocks in just the right position and trimming up the blue arm really good.....i dont have a way to post pics or i would cant do it from here im not a paying member
Old 12-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I dont really like the idea of inboarding shocks, sure it goes higher on rti but overall it hurts the performance of the vehicle. Inboarding shocks takes most of the pressure the spring is making away from the tire which gives it less traction when a tire is in a rut or on a rock and also it creates body roll which dont hurt a whole loto n rc's but with my education of the 1:1 rock crawlers tilting shocks on x or y axis is a no no for most situations.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:58 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I understand your point of not inboarding but every since i inboarded my shocks i actually see it performing better and doing things it didnt use to do. Cause remember these springs are stiff so inboarding takes some of that stiffness away when "flexing" and keeps you from wanting to roll so much. I notice that once i did inboard i can lay my front tire flat on the ground with the rest of the truck still maintaining balance . i will get a pick for you.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

to me 13 inches of articulation would be to much. by that point you are all the way at or above 90 degrees and then there there isnt ever any weight on that tire... although i still would liuke to see it
nylintcrawler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #13
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu_runnin
I understand your point of not inboarding but every since i inboarded my shocks i actually see it performing better and doing things it didnt use to do. Cause remember these springs are stiff so inboarding takes some of that stiffness away when "flexing" and keeps you from wanting to roll so much. I notice that once i did inboard i can lay my front tire flat on the ground with the rest of the truck still maintaining balance . i will get a pick for you.
Try crawling the same locations with a Stock Nylint. I bet the stock one is more stable and performs better.

I have done this and did a huge trail ride with a stock Nylint, his was more stable in almost every off camber situation. It was also more stable in tight high articulation obsticles then mine was.

My Jeep simply rolled over on it's side more. I don't really care though because I was not doing the shock mod for performance benifits, I just liked how it looked when the tires were barried in the wheel wells.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i actually find mine less likely to roll in certain situations. Did you mod your shocks? I put the longer lower shock rods in the front to keep from un seating the shocks. I have not had any problem. I left the springs in the same locations as stock as far as front and rear spring rate and height. No cut coils or anything. I am happy with it . I guess thats all that really matters huh? I want to find an cherokee body or trooper body for mine though.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Try crawling the same locations with a Stock Nylint. I bet the stock one is more stable and performs better.

I have done this and did a huge trail ride with a stock Nylint, his was more stable in almost every off camber situation. It was also more stable in tight high articulation obsticles then mine was.

My Jeep simply rolled over on it's side more. I don't really care though because I was not doing the shock mod for performance benifits, I just liked how it looked when the tires were barried in the wheel wells.
i would have to agree and disagree with certain things in your post a stock nylint will not go as far as a modded one.... in certain places where you you need lots of flex a stock nylint will go over on its side due to the one tire being so high off the ground because it does not have the flex it needs unlike one that flexes you got all tires on the ground and your not going to go over on your side....as far as the off camber section yes i agree tons on this it is very true there are off camber places i could go in my stock one that my modded one wont go now because it ends up on its side.I have a stock and modded one and in my stock one i can only go half of the places others go because i dont have the flex i get the one front tire 6-8 inches in the air and i got only 3 wheels touching and getting traction instead of the 4 like they have so i guess it goes hand in hand a stock one can do things a modded one cant...or the other way around.....me personaly i would reather have the flex to do the hard crap im not one for off camber sh!t real rig or RC i dont like off camber stuff...it scares me....im not trying to tell you that you dont know anything it is just a stock one in tight high articulation place will not keep up with a modded one....but i guess it is all up to what you like off camber crap or flexing stuff....and yes as mentioned up above in a different post 13" does sometimes screw ya up but with my scorp body on i lose about 1" or more of flex because it rubs like mad the 13" is with out the body on i will try to make a vid today of our rigs and our course and post it.....flame away
Old 12-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #16
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuzzz_up_dogg
im not one for off camber sh!t real rig or RC i dont like off camber stuff...it scares me....im not trying to tell you that you dont know anything it is just a stock one in tight high articulation place will not keep up with a modded one....but i guess it is all up to what you like off camber crap or flexing stuff....and yes as mentioned up above in a different post 13" does sometimes screw ya up but with my scorp body on i lose about 1" or more of flex because it rubs like mad the 13" is with out the body on i will try to make a vid today of our rigs and our course and post it.....flame away
Yeah I realize there are situations where more flex helps. I have seen it at one of our comps.

Off camber stuff is fun for me because it IMO is a good test for a well built, properly placed weighted rig to see it's potential. But since we are talking about the Nylint's which have a extremely heavy body and the battery weight so high, suspension mods can make or break this rigs performance.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have both a moded and a factory nylint jeep. I also have a clod and I hardly ever take either of the comp style rigs out because the factory nylint can go places a flexy rig like a nylint with inboards and a clod cant go, the main reason I like the nylint so much is the tires inside the body, makes it more scale and when I do flop it on its side from the lack of articulation I can drive right out of the flop in most every situation except when it goes front over back or vica versa in stops on its top.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I'd like to see a pic with the 13" of flex. Is there even 13" between the wheels?
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:52 AM   #19

Put the Body back on and retest. The body gets in the way for me. That maybe why the others are only getting 7 and 8 inches.
Jiles111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #20
RCC Addict

That was the one i sold. It had 9" with the body on and trimmed wheel wells. All i did was inboard the rear shocks. Nothing to the front and didn't trim anything from suspension components.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote