Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: tranny output location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default tranny output location

does the location of the tranny output affect things like torque twist?

in other words, given two exact copies of the same crawler, the only difference being the way in which the tranny is mounted (theoretically imagine a txt tranny right side up, vs. upside down where the output would be much higher in relationship to the links). if it would have an affect, how much difference would there be between a right side up txt tranny vs upside down?

im trying to keep my COG as low as possible, but if mounting my modified txt tranny inverted so that the motor the lowest part of the tranny, im wondering if the benefits of lower COG wouldnt outweight the negatives of the possible torque twist that would ensue.

thanks,
rob
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

you can always build and adjust your suspension to eliminate torque twist
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

so your saying build to keep COG as low as possible, and adjust the links and suspension to eliminate any problems that arise.

yea, i guess i could do that... but how much difference will i see with my tranny output 2" higher given the same link setup? but i guess that all depends on current link and suspension setup as well.

so low COG, and concentrate on the consequences later?
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

I am just saying that if you have a properly designed suspension to start, you shouldn't have much change. You may have to adjust some, but someone smarter than me will chime in here
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I dont know nearly as much as these guys do.. but I wouldnt think that the output shaft location has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

I just got mine together and at first (with my shocks at a hard angle) the torque twist was horrible to say the least.. I then placed my shocks almost vertical and pretty much eliminated the twist.. If you look at the rigs that do very well, they have their shocks nearly vertical.. and when your using a long shock you still have plenty of travel...

I am not sure how much the link placement has on the twist effect, but I am sure it plays a big role.. I was happy with my link location so I delt with it in the shock location.. but listen to these guys who have built many rigs.. I am a newbie in training..
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote