Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: These little trucks rock. 1 question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default These little trucks rock. 1 question.

I had bought a 1:6 Nylint about 2 weeks ago and I just found a walmart with 1:18s yesterday. I ran one today and boy is it fun. I felt $150 was a lot to pay for the 1:6, but $45 for the 1:18 is one heck of a bargain. Now I just gotta put some hobby electronics in it.

My question pertains putting in a hobby esc. After doing so, do you drive around in high gear and use the esc's proportional control to go slow when you need to, or do you have to keep the truck in low gear to climb well? thanks
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Even with proportional speed control you'll still need to put it in low to climb well. The low gear ratio helps multiply torque.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlaSS
Even with proportional speed control you'll still need to put it in low to climb well. The low gear ratio helps multiply torque.
thanks, I wasn't sure about that.. I wish there was a way to switch from high to low from the control like on the 1:6. The 1:18 really moves in high gear, about as fast a "regular" rc toy. The 1:6 is still pretty darn slow in low gear. I thinking of getting rid of the 1:6 just because the 1:18 is so appealing, but I really like how heavy and massive the 1:6 is. But the weight is also a big issue with it, making the belt drive slip and all. Gonna have to sleep on it on whether I'm going to keep it or not.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default me too me too

i just bought a scorpion the other day. 3rd day of indoor wheeling left me with no steering, so i decided to upgrade it all. took out steering motor and gears, installed servo and links, and receiver and esc went in too. it's working fine, except one issue. what causes the delay in signal to one of the motors, when using an aftermarket esc? (novak spy micro) when i squeeze the throttle, the front motor begins, but the back does not until more throttle is applied. i'll take a few pics of it if anyone wants to see it....
superelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:52 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by superelmer
i just bought a scorpion the other day. 3rd day of indoor wheeling left me with no steering, so i decided to upgrade it all. took out steering motor and gears, installed servo and links, and receiver and esc went in too. it's working fine, except one issue. what causes the delay in signal to one of the motors, when using an aftermarket esc? (novak spy micro) when i squeeze the throttle, the front motor begins, but the back does not until more throttle is applied. i'll take a few pics of it if anyone wants to see it....

Have you tried to switch the motors around?
Lt. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

no, i haven't. if i switched 'em, then the back would just start before the front, right? i'm hoping to get 'em both together. it looks like the motor wires are about the same length, but would longer rear wires cause any more resistance? i haven't soldered it all yet, it's all just twisted together til i make sure i get the bugs worked out. pos motor wires are wired together, as are negs, and then to appropriate contacts on the esc. i had it mixed up the first time, and when i gave it throttle, it got taller, as the front was in reverse, and the rear was going forward...kinda funny. i haven't actually opened the axles yet, to check out the motors. are there any resistors or capacitors or other whatchamacallits on 'em, that might be causing this?
superelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
XDD

The 1:18's are very fun no doubt. I've been into all bits hobby-class R/C's for a long time now and I just bought my second 1:18 crawler, a Jeep this time.

Goin for a full-sized scale crawler with the scorpion (already at 10th scale wheebase) and then with the Jeep I'll just stretch it a little to have a scale, semi-long wheelbase jeep.

The 1:18 Nylint platform is really an open-book that you can go practically any direction with. I e-mailed Nylint the other day to congratulate them on making an excellent product. I like to encourage good companies so they will stick around for a while and Funrise/Nylint really have their stuff together, best R/C to hit Wal-Mart since I can remember....
XDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I get some of that also in my 1:18th, I initially thought that it was due to length of wire and resistances creating a slight voltage drop at the motor, then I was thinking that it may simply be the slight variations in motor tolerances.

Lately I come to blame it more on drag. The fronts spin on hubs while the rear axle is sandwiched between two U shaped pieces of axle housing. The more drag exists at any given axle the more voltage and current is going to be required to get it moving.

Since nothing on the 1:18th sits on bearings lot's of drag exists.
Papewayo is offline   Reply With Quote