Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: shocks limiting articulation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
eli

Default shocks limiting articulation

i built my first crawler i used a kyosho double dare i had sitting around. it has idependent front and rear like a maxx but the motors are mounted on the axle like a clod. when the front right goes up the back right is at full extention and starts to lift ive moved this shocks up and down the links to find the best spot. id like to be able to maybe put one front and opposite rear on a pop can. ive seen trucks sitting on large cups.
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 PM   #2

Are you still using the stock shocks on the Double Dare?

And you said that the right rear is lifting when you lift the right front? Is the left rear shock fully compressing? If it is not, it sounds like your suspension is too firm. (If I understand what you're saying that is.)

Anyway, maybe try switching to just one shock per wheel. Your best bet would be to get rid of the stock shocks alltogether if you haven't already. Get some that you can choose springs for and also have oil in them.
Ryutech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
eli

the only thing left from the double dare is the wheels and axles. i have maxx shocks. with out the shocks i have more then 90 deg articulation. right now my wb is 15.5 but its only 12 wide unlit i make spacers and change wheels. the other wheel isnt fully compressed but close i think my springs might be a little to stiff. ive seen trucks laying there shocks down or moving them to the top links i might try that. ive looked at pictures and based my orgional setup on what seemed to work. i can get one wheel 6.75" of the ground before another lifts. but when you split that between two wheels it seems pathetic.
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:38 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That's plenty of articulation. If you get to much it gets floppy and rolls over a lot.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli
the only thing left from the double dare is the wheels and axles. i have maxx shocks. with out the shocks i have more then 90 deg articulation. right now my wb is 15.5 but its only 12 wide unlit i make spacers and change wheels. the other wheel isnt fully compressed but close i think my springs might be a little to stiff. ive seen trucks laying there shocks down or moving them to the top links i might try that. ive looked at pictures and based my orgional setup on what seemed to work. i can get one wheel 6.75" of the ground before another lifts. but when you split that between two wheels it seems pathetic.
Idealy you should shoot for about 45 to 60 degrees of twist. Any more than that and it will cause the rig to be extremely loose and floppy. IMHO,anything more than roughly 50-55 degrees is just unessesary and the rig will flop to easily on sidehills and off cambers.. Try laying your shock down a little more on an angle. Try moving them just a little at a time. Laying them down 5 degrees more than you have them can make a big difference and probly all you'll need. Also,try softer springs,that'll help if your lifting a tire before the shock is compressed.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote