Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: front weight balance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #1

Default front weight balance

I have noticed that my front tires spin alot and to counter act this I figure they need a little more weight to get that traction. I have read some threads about puting bb's in the tires, but I didn't like how that sounded since I probably wouldnt drive my real jeep with lead balls in the tires. So I decide to go ahead and do a tummy tuck, and im gonna try and position the battery under the hood and right behind the dash. I will try to post some pics up here once I find my camera charger.
mucles7834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I am interested in seeing how you mount it! As for bbs in the tires, a lot of guys do it in the RC world, and many people do it in the fullsize world that are in competition only. I was looking for the thread, but I can't find it. A lot of guys use water, some use shot pellets, but now some of the rules state no lead because it is harmful to the environment. So they are now selling 50 pound bags of steel shot for use in tires. Just FYI. Oh, and I wouldn't drive anything like that on the road. My friends and I use a handfull of BBs inside the tires to balance tires (only when you run steel rims, other people use golf balls with aluminum rims) and run them down the street, but I wouldn't fill my tires and then run them, lol.
MTUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Pro Rock Crawlers run water in there tires for Comp. I know some friends who put water in there Tractor tires aswell.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Water for ballast in industrial use vehicle tires is a common place practice . . . golf balls, however . . . are not "par-for-the-course".
The Lyin' King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:52 PM   #5

Yea if this doesnt work I may try the whole bb thing, they're cheap and should do the trick. I feel pretty confident in my work, I really wish my camera would work so I could show what im doing.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The golf balls are for ballance not ballast, lol...par for the course...lol...good one
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 PM   #7

ahh the good humor in forums Yea I forgot to add props for the good joke.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #8

Golf balls are Supposedly for balance (in semi trucks). water is to greatly lower the center of gravity in tractors, but they ruc inner tubes made to hold water. and some lubricants guys put in tires to keep bbs from rusting will eventually eat their tires.

jeepncowboy
jeepncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I didn't know Copper rusts?:?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:25 PM   #10

I just got done wrapping lead rope for fishing weight around the outside of the inner white bead lock and then put tape around that to secure it.
75 Heep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 Heep
I just got done wrapping lead rope for fishing weight around the outside of the inner white bead lock and then put tape around that to secure it.

??????????:?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
I used a strip of 1/2 oz. stick on wheel weights on the inner cones of my front wheels, plus added some weights between the screws on the inner flat areas of the front rims. In total, I added 12 oz. per front wheel, and it seems to help on steep inclines.
BlueOvalRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:

Its lead weight that comes in a spool you can find it at any fishing store probably even wallys

I pulled the white ring out of the tires and wrapped the outside of them with the lead and then secured the lead with tape. I then reinstalled them into my tires and re assembled the wheels

It seems to help out alot
75 Heep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:30 PM   #14

i know people that have used the airsoft pellets also, they're plastic, so no effect on any rim, steel or aluminum. those are 1:1 vehicles, but i'm sure it'd work for R/C ones too
Jeepman97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #15

How do you guys INSERT the BBs??
BigYellaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Apparently pull the back part of the rim off by taking out the screws so I was told. Anyhow, for the northern climates the water likes to freeze, so we use potassium chloride in the water to stop it from freezing, but it likes to breakdown rubber. Some people also use beat juice, but I never saw that often working at the tire shop, I don't know why. Christian