Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Possible new headlamp option

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Possible new headlamp option

I was wandering through the Walmart earlier this evening...looking at the flashlights among other things. I came across a LED bulb kit for the AA Mini-Mag flashlights. It was Nite-Ize brand, was a three LED pod, and was just under $5.

It looks to be about the right size for the 1:6 headlights...I didn't measure it, and they are out of the 1:6 rigs so I cannot provide any additional info yet. I'm going to take a look between my Scorpion and a standard Mini-Mag tomorrow and see how close it is.

The bulb has two probes in the back to power it...it should be fairly easy to tap power to them.

The only other thing that I have been thinking about is batteries...the standard Mini-Mag uses two AA batteries...1.5v each...so 3 volts. Since it should be low amp draw, could you get away with running both two from just a pair of AA's? I'd rather run a 9v for ease of mounting, but...

HERE is a write up that I found about them used in the Mini-Mag light...
Groundhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks and sounds promising . . . how about an update when you work it out.
The Lyin' King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'm sure you will still get good battery times by running both off two AA's.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Lightbulb

Yes you can run both off the double A's. Do not put more than 3 volts to them. I burned up 2 lights while trying to use a 9v battery (dumbass) thinking it would be brighter. Raovac makes a flashlight (under $3) that will fit the Scorpion perfectly.

ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:41 AM   #5

I just measured the lens in my Mini-Mag...about 7/8"

The od of the silver "fake light" on the Scorpion body is about 1 1/8"

So, short of actually having done it, it looks as if this should work.

ColquittCustom405, did you try the same LED assemblies I am talking about? Where did you get the Rayovac light you are running? It's hard to in the pic, but is it LED or regular bulb? Do you have any pics of the install?
Groundhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhawg
I was wandering through the Walmart earlier this evening...looking at the flashlights among other things. I came across a LED bulb kit for the AA Mini-Mag flashlights. It was Nite-Ize brand, was a three LED pod, and was just under $5.

It looks to be about the right size for the 1:6 headlights...I didn't measure it, and they are out of the 1:6 rigs so I cannot provide any additional info yet. I'm going to take a look between my Scorpion and a standard Mini-Mag tomorrow and see how close it is.

The bulb has two probes in the back to power it...it should be fairly easy to tap power to them.

The only other thing that I have been thinking about is batteries...the standard Mini-Mag uses two AA batteries...1.5v each...so 3 volts. Since it should be low amp draw, could you get away with running both two from just a pair of AA's? I'd rather run a 9v for ease of mounting, but...

HERE is a write up that I found about them used in the Mini-Mag light...
those LED's are proly 2.1v ea. in that flash light if you go with 6 LEDs just go to radio shack and buy a 4aa battery holder w/switch and your set its what I did and I put in the back of the jeep

http://photobucket.com/albums/d107/Toylxl2/?sc=1
toylxl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:26 AM   #7

ohh by the way the short prong is the ground and whatever you do dont hook just one light up to the 4 pack of aa's you'll blow it to peices.I almost put my eye out doin that (stupid) just hook 'em all up then test 'em but I've been doin alot of research on this and have been back and forth to radio shack and learned alot about the voltage and how much to put to and whats bright and whats not etc.
toylxl2 is offline   Reply With Quote