Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Question from the drawing board....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

unfortunately, better light and other angle renders the clear lexan plates totally invisible (which I might add, would be fantastic as a show chassis ;) )

that revision basically took the HR Rock racer chassis and stretched it about 1/2".....the stock one wouldn't clear the top of my spur gear as it was....
dhyde79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
unfortunately, better light and other angle renders the clear lexan plates totally invisible (which I might add, would be fantastic as a show chassis ;) )
So... Paint them. Just use any Lexan paint like pactra. Any color you want
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

nah, they're gonna get scrap piled, I like em but, they didn't turn out quite right.....need to play around with where I can get the battery/esc/radio(both parts) and that's all gotta wait on my shipment from tower that UPS screwed up.....need a mini-servo for the dig.... and then...I can see if I can make a plate to put the battery on....gotta cut crossbraces too....I may spray the plates once all that's done so we can see how they look.....
Old 01-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

also, as a side note, the aluminum C's on my axial axles are working the screws out of the plastic, any ideas on how to keep em in and solid so they don't develop a wobble?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

a drop or two of CA glue will do the trick..
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

well....it's a done deal....just have to make two more cross braces, and then a roof and hood and "body" once that's done......the beast is completed.....after I drop the transmission out of the bottom real quick so I can swap out dig servos since the CS-35 I put in it let the magic smoke out before I got done getting end points set even with a servo saver.....*grumble*

as far as making it lighter, it was a success, now it weighs in at about 7 lbs if the scale is right, it's a night and day difference, crawls fantastically, ended up with a 14.5" wheelbase on the dot, and with panther leopards on, it's got about 1.6" at the pumpkin of clearance and just short of 3" at the skid, and will stand on its side (for about a minute then the shock fluid lets the shocks extend and dumps it on its roof), about 85 degrees of articulation, it had around 115 until I put some fairly stiff internal springs in the front, they'll compress when the crawler is flexing but not as easily, and loaded the front shocks with 20W to offset that, since one of the things I was trying to get rid of was the fact that the front shocks would fully extend and send it tumbling backwards down rock piles...oh, and stayed with stock width....when I got to thinking about it, widening the chassis would have had the tires chewing into it and that wouldn't have done me any good at all....thanks for the help and pointers....even the neighbor that's a die hard jeep guy looked at it and asked if I'd help him get one built after this next comp is done....

I'll have pics and possibly video tomorrow, provided I don't forget the cameras.....