Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shifting Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Shifting Questions

Well, I've had mine, and its hella fun. I was doing some 4x4ing up some dirt hills and over tree roots, and it crawls good!

But, some questions.

If I shift it like a real truck, like into high between obstacles, back into low for the trail, high across highway (parking lot), would this affect the longeivity of the gear system?

When it crunches during shifting, what is actually crunching? It dosent sound pleasent at all... :?

And, is my shifting technique, shifting into opposite gear at stop, pulling throttle very slightly into first "step" in foward/reverse, release, repeat until in gear, ok to use? I feel that it greatly reduces the crunching noise, and if I can time the pulses of throttle just right, I can get it to shift with very little cruching. I use really fast pulses of throttle.

-Trevor
player is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

75% of the noise is the actual shifting motors, the shifter arms are spring loaded so when they reach their max position they skip over the edge of the drive gear drum and chatter against it.

The other noise is 4 small ball bearings spinning inside of the high/low case trying to change positions.

Think of it as a non-syncro tranny...It isn't hurting anything. If you want to make it quieter pull the gearboxes apart and grease them well. Helps out alot
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

4 bearings changing position? How drastic is this change....
If someone dives into their axle anytime soon, please take a picture of this for me...
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here is a thread. Doesn't really get better then this.Axle Breakdown Pics, NOT DIALUP FRIENDLY!
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

These little "ball" bearings slide between the high and low planetary, that's the grinding as they sync up really
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well, everything seems to be holding up, but the rear belt is slipping now...
So I'll open er up this weekend and clean it up. I hope I can stay with the stock belt. After that, I'll take it to my local HS track where they have some nice slopes surrounding the track. Then we'll do some hill climbing and extreme angles followed by extreme rollovers... Flying down the track in high makes me think of those hollywood scenes with 4x4s kicking up hugh dust clouds flying down dirt roads...

I took some fat off the rear skid, but the darn thing still hangs up. MORE TRIMMING!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by player
I'll take it to my local HS track where they have some nice slopes surrounding the track. Then we'll do some hill climbing and extreme angles followed by extreme rollovers...
yours will climb dirt hills? mine just sits and spins :? but yet it will climb the back window on my car....i REALLY dont understand that...glass is a lot slicker than dirt....or at least it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by player
took some fat off the rear skid, but the darn thing still hangs up. MORE TRIMMING!
just take the skid completely off and make another one out of aluminum that tucks up to the axle as tight as possible...

i actually made mine out of some metal "for sale" signs from walmart, i figure if they get scraped through, i will go buy another one ($.97) and make another one...

but i will tell you, if your trying to climb stairs or something, front part of the rear axle hit before the tires, so chances are, your not gonna make it. mine is tummy tucked and has the skidplate (much smoother than the plastic axles.....) and i still cant climb the stairs in front of my apartment.....
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:31 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well, go try and rub a piece of rubber on your windshield, pretty grippy huh? The glass ain't movin anywhere. Now try that with some dirt. That dirts slidin around and makin dust and goin everywhere! Its the problem that the tires break the dirt chunks into smaller pieces we know as dirt dust, and the little pieces act like not-quite-round ball bearings and slide down the hill as your wheels try to go up. The trick is to go reeeaaaaaalllly slow, so you don't break the maximum static friction of the dirt. Once you do, *scccrruuuuucccch* back down the hill.

I'll try that trick w/ some metal. Can I hack a coke can into a flat piece of metal? How did you fasten it to the axles?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I notice that when bound up there is excessive crunchin going on in the boxes. It dosen't complete shifing until I straighten out the wheels. That dosen't sound good... Oh yeah, and on Christmas, I was runnin over everyones presents... Now that was funny... *Get that thing off my stuff!*