Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tuber question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #1

Default Tuber question

What are you guys who build tube frames using to hold the pieces in place while you try and braze them? Besides building 50 different jigs, I'm trying to think of good ways to hold the pieces in place while I try and braze them. I can't imagine it's too easy with a torch in one hand and brazing rod in the other. I don't see how magnets are gonna keep the pieces at strange angles either. Just wondered if there were some special methods you guys use.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
06 Super National Champ

Hold it in place with your hand and tack it with a MIG welder.

I've made a tuber by brazing only and it's a complete PITA.

So much easier to just tack things in place with a MIG then braze the joints.

Speeds up construction time as well.

I'm in the process of building a small tuber and there's definitely some weird angles in it. check it out.

If I had decided to just braze things in place I'd have probably gotten frustrated with things and stopped.

MIG is your friend. ;)
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

i use a welding magents to hold the two the peices that i'm going to braze together
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I hold the main piece in a wise and use a stainless steel protractor (in the vise) to hold the pieces are the wierd angles, as for cross braces, but make it an interferance fit (you have to sqeeze it in). Tacking with a MIG would be easier!

Later,
Jake
JakeDaSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Colt Python/SR9c

I use a small 110 mig to hold mine in place also. It is alot faster. but on internal bracing, you don't need to use mig since your joints should fit very well to start, they will hold themselves in place
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #6

I definitely thought of tacking the joints, but I don't have a MIG welder. I want one, but don't have much of any other uses for one at this point. If I were still building a fullsize Jeep I'd get one immediately, but it's hard to justify dropping the coin on one that I won't use a lot.....'course I'd be buying a nice 220 volt Lincoln just so I don't have to buy another down the road.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ
What are you guys who build tube frames using to hold the pieces in place while you try and braze them? Besides building 50 different jigs, I'm trying to think of good ways to hold the pieces in place while I try and braze them. I can't imagine it's too easy with a torch in one hand and brazing rod in the other. I don't see how magnets are gonna keep the pieces at strange angles either. Just wondered if there were some special methods you guys use.
The answer is, a little of everything. I use magnets a lot during brazing. I also use wire ties and other things. Sometimes I just use tape. I tape one end of a tube in place while I braze the other end. Holding a tube in place is easier if it is fitted well. Spend the extra time to "fish mouth" tubing ends.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I use 1'x2'x1/16" sheet steel as a welding table. draw some guidelines on with a sharpie tack the first piece on the table and them using magnets, clamps and burnt fingers get the rest of the frame tacked together with a mig, that way with the cage attached to the sheet steel it keeps its shape better.
I use a 110 mig most of the time, only switching to the big guy when the material gets thick and needs a good burn. my electricity bill takes a jump when I use the big mig. the little mig is also way more portable too.
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote