Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Best fit aftermarket bodies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 07:20 AM   #1

Default Best fit aftermarket bodies?

I have seen where run2jeepn used a lexan body from tower, but it seems that required a good bit of fabrication to fit? (though it looks bad ***). I can deal with the fabrication, but I am also looking for options. My knowledge in R/C modding/building is non-existant at the moment...but that's never stopped me from diving in before. So, I come to you guys looking for advice.

Anyone know what other bodies will fit, and how much modification would be required? I am not really concerned with scale, or with staying true to the Nylint build...I am looking for something that looks good that I can play with and re-paint. I simply want the stock body left as-is in case I have to return it. Staying with a Jeep body would be cool, but not 100% required.

This is my first R/C modding or building project...I tend to mod everything else I own though, and this looks like fun
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The Jeep body that RUN2JEEPN used is a common one that can be found at any LHS. I believe it's a Hotbodies piece. It's also the same one I plan on using. They cost around $30 give or take.

As far as mounting it, ANY aftermarket body you go with is going to require modification. The way the Nylints stock body mounts on is basically by plastic tabs/clips. It's not very hard to put an AM body on though. The simplest way would be to run "posts" either horizontilly or vertically through the chasis and just cut holes in the body. You would then use key pins on the ends of your "posts" to keep the body on.

Take a look at some of the galleries in the other forums (Clod, TXT, Maxx, etc.) and you'll exactly what I'm talking about. It's pretty self-explanitory and a fairly simple task...
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #3

thanks for the reply!

I do appreciate the explanation on how to mount an aftermarket body. With at least that much of an idea the pictures will make more sense to me (since I have never built one...don't know what is what and how things would normally work). After I get in there and tear things apart it will help me out in the understanding of how it's all put together...right now I am in the research and planning stage. I like to have a complete understanding of what I am doing and the materials I will need before I start.

So basically it sounds like I can look for pretty much any 1:6 AM body and go from there if I wish...I just didn't know if there were any AM bodies that would just bolt-on (obviously I would look at those first if that were the case).
Old 01-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #4

after many fruitless google, ebay, and forum searches...I give.

does anyone know where to get a CJ-7 body from that would fit the 1:6?

thanks!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well it doesn't "have" to be a 1:6 body unless you want to stay with the "scale" look.

If you have a LHS check them out. Mine had all kinds of different bodies. Don't think I saw an CJ's, but I didn't look that hard. I was just looking for that Rubicon body which happend to be sitting on top

All I can tell ya there is to just keep searching...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #6

that Rubicon is pretty sweet...

but I wouldn't mind going for more of a "classic" look...something like the ol CJ-7 or possibly something older like this one:

Old 01-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Oh no doubt. If I could have any body that I wanted I'd like to have a '67-'72 Chevy.

I've seen ONE so far after searching online and I have no idea who makes it or where to get it. If I ever find out where to get one I'll be switching bodies for sure...
Old 01-06-2006, 06:31 AM   #8

Thanks for the tips fellas!

RANOVRU - found you a '72 Chevy

It's a Parma... http://www.parmapse.com/rcitem.asp?n=10102

*Edit* - just noticed that it's a 1/10 scale...oops.

Last edited by Damage; 01-06-2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a bunch DAMAGE! That would actually fit awsome over my custom chasis I'm making. It won't be anywhere close to scale but I don' care...
Old 01-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #10

awesome!

glad to be of help
Old 04-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Here's my HPI 1:10 Rubicon body mounted on my tummy tucked 1:6 Nylint.

Edit: Hmmm ... attachments not working?

Edit2: OK, uploaded and linked.

Last edited by Mudinyeri; 04-28-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote