Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: bent links or straight links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default bent links or straight links

Is there a big advantage with bent links for more clearance? Or is having slippery delrin links just as big of an advantage. What do you prefer and why?
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I've been thinking about this as well lately. I just have the stock alum lcc links. Thinking about switching to derlin lowers. Thought about the bent links too, but was wondering if they would expose the drivelines more to the rocks and be more prone to damage.
PDXFNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I guess it depends on where you crawl but I hated bent links they just seemed to get hung up everywhere, try em both though ya never know they might work out for ya

Josh
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think allot of it would depend on the rig.
If it sits nice and low I would say straight links would be good.
On a rig like the LCC. I would stick with straight links.
Now on a rig like a Berg with 3.5 inches of ground clearance I would run a big bent rear lower link and either a straight or almost straight front lower link.Its really just a matter of trying and seeing what best suite you and your area.
Now for material Delrin is super slick but it does still gouge some.
Aluminum also Gouges really bad and to me seems to stick to the rocks really bad.
I have recently switched to Stainless on my berg.It is slightly heavier than other link material but slides on the rocks very well and is very ridged giving a good solid feeling rig.
Here are a few pics of my slightly bent fronts and very high clearance rears out of stainless.

joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #5

I run bent delrin links on the back and straight on the front. I tried bent ones on the front, but it seemed like the straight links brought the rocks to the tires so it had traction.

edit: thats on an mrc and ax10
rubiweeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Here's a picture of my rig. It's a venom creeper sitting at about 2" belly clearance. It's not that the stock bent links don't work fine. They do but I feel like I want to mod more! lol Actually looking at it, it looks like the if I had a straight link it would give me more clearance were the bend is...

legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Kamikaze med clearance bent links on the rear of the LCC is muy bueno! Takes a little filing to get them to clear the driveshaft, but the result is worth it.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

I prefer straight delrin links. the slippery stuff is the best. Bent links in the back is nice for breakovers though. if you go bent in the back, go for a delrin version as the aluminum will scrape and gouge on the rocks causing more drag. Also a more radiused type of link is better than one with a sharp 30* bend in it.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I prefer straight delrin links. the slippery stuff is the best. Bent links in the back is nice for breakovers though. if you go bent in the back, go for a delrin version as the aluminum will scrape and gouge on the rocks causing more drag. Also a more radiused type of link is better than one with a sharp 30* bend in it.
X2, sound advice for a solid setup.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

My links are pretty flat at ride height, so i didn't gain anything from bent links.
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTundra View Post
My links are pretty flat at ride height, so i didn't gain anything from bent links.
I am close to this too, near flat at rest that is.
I have a creeper and I straightened the links from the original s bend type that they were. I ran them flat and realised that straights were the go for me.
I now have them straight, as bent rears would expose my driveshaft too much. I''ll take the hang ups and drag instead of rooting a shaft.

As far as breakover is concerned I really need to sort the belly out to either clear or slide while breaking over.

I'm working on it............

Last edited by Simon.O.; 01-21-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I made a set of delrin (straight) links for mine and like it more....runs even with the drive shafts and slides over stuff better than the aluminum links. It only took me 20mins to make so it will only satisfy your mod itch for a short time.
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote