Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: newbie question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default newbie question

hello i'm just getting started into crawling. trying to figured out the best rig to go with. i've been to the local hobby stores. there are so many out. tyring to decide which one to get it the problem. got one guy saying go with the axial rtc kit and another saying go with the losi night crawler. i want to try competing not at first need to practice first lol.
wolverine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

If you want everything in one package at a good price the losi night crawler is a good rig. Out of the box it is competitive with little work, but like any rtr as you grow and get experience you will want to upgrade things like the stearing servo and maybe even the motor. I have also heard alot of good about the axial but have never run one.
If crawling is somthing you think you will like it might be just as well to get a kit and put what you want in it. Rigs like the losi comp cralwer offer dig and can run at the top level. I think with any of the major brands you really can't go wrong.
Zimm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i own the rtc its a great starter rig. its not comp ready! if your thinking competition start with the axial artr it has the up graded links and you add the electronics! the rtc will get you playing and hooked but wont get you far in a competition!
desertrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
bsn
Quarry Creeper

RS10 - Great RTR crawler. Check out the new section to get a feel for them. They can be modded with a lot of the parts the fit the axial, creeper, and losi for about $160 RTR.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

what about the RC4wd Bully? would that be a good one to get. i know that you have to buy the radio, motors and servo. thought maybe i could get it and hopefully by then i might be able to buy some used or new parts from here. hopefully get the 30 post you need to see the other threads.
wolverine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #6

Depends on what you want and also if you want to build something or not. The axials and losis are shaft driven where the berg's and bullies are MOA (motor on axle). The bully axles are heavier than the bergs and from what I've read they're more "bulletproof" out of the box - but with some upgrades the bergs can be made bulletproof as well.

I don't have a crawler yet and I don't plan on competing or anything. But I wanted a pretty capable and solid crawler so I've got some RC4WD super bully axles in the mail.
stona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If ya plan on competing, get a berg. It's more $ up front but lees overall and ya will have a real comp rig. This would be a good one:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...highlight=berg
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I recently got into crawling as well, if you like to build and are capable then don't buy an RTR rig. I purchased an almost RTR rig off ebay and I've ended up starting a completely new build after messing with it for a while. its not that the one I bought was not capable, I just want it a certain way and building it from scratch will get me exactly what I want. Plus it's fun to build and fabricate everything your self! I did tons of reading on here and learned a lot.
what ever you do be prepared to upgrade or change directions as you get more experienced and more familiar with what you really like.
Irishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote