Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Chevy Nylint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #1

Default Chevy Nylint

Ive had my nylint for about a month now but just found an old walmart rc car with a silverado body.. im getting ready to paint it tomorrow thats why its sanded down/taped off. Im trying to make a replica of my truck. Only real bad difference is mine is fleetside this is stepside.
Mods: Extended front and back 1"
Taken out springs
Tummy Tuck
Cut/reversed tires
Rear shocks slightly inset, front inset quite far.

To come: Paint
Bigger Tires
Grill Guard

ill post more as i go. Here it is as of so far.

Wheels I am going to put on
Grill Guard

Tell me what you think.. And if anyone has any idea how to convert it to fleetside.. besides bondo (already thought of it) plz feel free to input.
Brett
spastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I have the same toy but it has a Dodge body.

If you get those tires & rims to fit please let us know how.
Thanks in advance.
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #3

Yeah I will... I plan on using tubing and just a series of threading and whatnot for screws and stuff.. But when i get around to that in about a week or so i will.. for now i forgot the flex pics. I am waitin for 4 new shocks with full springs cuz as you can tell clearance will definately be an issue with the tires.

Major clearance issue in the back
And in front as well.
Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 04:23 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Where did you find the stepside silverado body at? I've been looking all over for one! A buddy of mine has one, and wants me to build a crawler replica...

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #5

Well I just turned 16... I moved to SC when I was 10. And my parents bought that for me when we lived in Ohio.. So i probably got it when I was like 8 or 9.. I just found it in my closet.. If youre lucky you might be able to find some on ebay. But they are really old.. I think Nikko? made them.

-Update-
Well I figured out how to mount both front and back tires.
For front i just took a allen wrench same size as the stock wheel mount, heated it up for about 5 min and then stuck it in about the needed depth. Then put a screw long enough through it, needs to be about an inch and a half long.

For the back I have some small tubing, and im going to thread the inner 4-40, keep the stock wheel peg on there, do the same as the front with the allen wrench. Ill thread the rod on, slide the wheel on, cut the rod about 1/4" past the wheel, and thread the outside of the rod so I can put a nut on it.

I tried to upload pics but somethin is wrong with my putfile. Ill do that later, gotta go to hardware store and walmart for paint, screws and nuts. Then I have to find my tapping set. Ill post pictures of paint progress and if i get the wheels mounted tonight.

Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Ultimate RC Decals

sweet chevy!

i have a chevy body myself.
http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albu...DSC06696_1.jpg
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #7

Cool bowtie.. I had been looking at your build for a while.. I even made those rock guards for my jeep and i am going to put them on my chevy.
WRMorrison.. If you can find a fleetside chevy I will trade you this stepside. I have polished it, and as you can tell sanded the big areas. So its pretty much ready for paint.. Just a thought.

Brett

I am currently right this second melting the last rim to put on, i still havent gotten the screws and nuts i need yet. But later im going to cut, and thread the rod, then all i have to do is thread the rod on the stock axle, slide on the wheel, and thread on the nut and for the front... Put the longer screw in

Last edited by spastic; 01-07-2006 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic
WRMorrison.. If you can find a fleetside chevy I will trade you this stepside. I have polished it, and as you can tell sanded the big areas. So its pretty much ready for paint.. Just a thought.
I just gave away a fleetside just like the one linked to in this thread. I'll see if I can get it back. If I can, I'll PM you.

-WRM
Old 01-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #9

Well is it regular cab or extended like the one in this thread?
Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #10

Ok.. Putfile is still messed up so no pics.. But i melted all 4 wheels with the allen wrench method. Then I bought the correct length screws (6-32, 1 1/2" flathead I believe) and just forcefully threaded the screw into the stock peg. So I have the front ones mounted. But my plan for the rear was to have this setup:

^ Black peg | ^Thread| ^3/16" tubing with inner threaded 4-40 and outer end 8-32.

Hard to understand but all you do is take normal setup, tap the inner part of the tubing for 4-40 and thread that onto the stock axle threads. Then thread the outer for 8-32 or 10-24 whatever you prefer and slide the wheel over the rod so the melted hex sets on the stock hex peg, and you put your 8-32 or 10-24 nut on tight and youre good to go.

I know i wish putfile was working.. Ill post as soon as i can.

Brett

I tried to illustrate but it didnt work.. Btw WRMorrison.. go to www.newbright.com and look at their 1:20 scale remote control and you will see a ford f150 and a newer version of my silverado but same stepside body.. So they still makin them 8 years later

Last edited by spastic; 01-07-2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Messed up
Old 01-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #11

Ok... I lied in that last post.. The inner is actually 4-48.. Hard to find so im just going to drill it big enough and epoxy it.. And the 3/16 is too big so im going to thread it 10-24 but the tubing is chromoly and its really hard and its not easy to get started.. but im workin on that now.. back wheels are a pain.
Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #12

Ok.. Chromolly will not thread with the dye i have.. It appears to be dull.. So as of right now my idea for the rear wheels is a failure unless i get some softer tubing... So I have 2 front big wheels and im going to wheel with 2 small rears tonight . But if i can get it to work ill post some pics of my front wheels mounted.

Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

i wouldn't do that....gear ratios are completely different now, could destroy the axles.
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #14

Even though i have another one for parts.. Good idea.. Well still didnt get the rears mounted but figured i would just do some poser pics.. One thing i dont like.. the backspacing the front is ALOT different that rear.. So the rear are alot farther in than the front.. Well heres the pics.
http://img459.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scn18930nz.jpg
http://img461.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scn18943pi.jpg
http://img461.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scn18959ip.jpg
http://img461.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scn18961im.jpg

Screw putfile

Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

So, what's the WB on your 1/20 silverado? The one I had was the same as in the link (extended cab, same color, etc.), I believe that it was a new bright as well.

-WRM
Old 01-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #16

You asking from fenderwell to fenderwell? Or axle to axle?

Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Axle-to-axle.

-WRM
Old 01-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #18

10.5"

Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #19

Alright... Gave up on the tubing idea.. And just glued the stock rims to the inside of my other rims.. I have it all put together and what not.. I have to clean up my mess and then ill post pics.
WRMorrison.. Since thats an extended cab you could get your hands on im just gonna keep this body.. Im going to prime it in the morning, sand it and later paint it. Should have pics tomorrow night.

Brett
Old 01-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #20

Success!

http://www.thefreeimagehosting.com/U...00DSCN1898.JPG

Brett