Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A little different from the rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #1

Default A little different from the rest

ok my whole different thing..I lifted my jeep 1 1/2 in and with all my mods I now am at almost 12in of articulation and a great running rig ok ready
mods:
cut/reversed tires
cut fenders
blue LED head lights and rock lights
custom paint ( base coat is midnight blue and top coat is silver so its kinda metalic looking but different)

tummy tuck(1 1/2 in almost looks factory just need to do some sanding and havent really cared cause you still cant tell unless you look)

extended wheel base( minus 1 screw on each side) so its 16.5in w/b
custom shocks
inboard front and rear shocks
limit straps
cut off body tabs
1 1/2 in lift
locked in low

mods to come:
dove tail
trim axles
figure out how I'm gonna 4 link the front then do both at the same time
steering mod(bolt through the pitman arm)
tie rod
winch

well heres the pics, theres like 20 somethin of 'em

http://photobucket.com/albums/d107/Toylxl2/?start=0

any ???'s just ask I have had alot of fun fabing mine and thinking about gettin another
I also have a 1/18 for my son and have done some work on it
dove tailed
cut off axle stops
extended w/b
same paint job
cut and reversed tires

I still need to post pics of that
toylxl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Looks cool!!!!! How did you do the lift?
jeepdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #3

Default lift

ok, for the lift it was a few steps actually
1st I had to cut the body tabs
then I went to home depot and got springs that were 1 1/2 longer than stock but are the same dia. and stiffness
then I had to make custom shocks which is easy if you use the right stuff
I got a pack of bic pens took out the ink ofcourse and the end tab then measured out to 4 1/4in cut it then I cut the lid in half or till it was all the way on and put it on to use as support and a stop for the spring
I drilled a 1/8 in hole through the cap and pen to mount it to the body/frame
then after I had the shocks on I had to figure out when they come apart for my limit straps
after I did that I put the limit straps on, I just drilled 2 holes through the body and used a shoe lace to the blue arms
later on I'm gonna make longer lower shock tubes so I can get more articulation but I'm in no hurry it does real good right now
aslo you have to extend the wheel base o do the lift or it will be way too short I think....however I did extend the w/b before I did the lift so I'm not sure but I think it will be too short.right now I'm at 16 1/2 in long
that extra hole from the screw that I moved on the blue arm is where my limit straps go through
Old 01-10-2006, 06:42 AM   #4

Default 4 link

I kinda started my 4 link.I guess you could say I added traction bars or ladder bars.what I did was real simple actually. I was getting serious axle wrap so I had to do somethin. so I went and bought a stick of round steel that is 3/16 thick I cut 'em down to 4 7/8 in and then I put eye hole wire conecters on the ends and soddered them on for now till I can afford hyme joints. I then drilled holes in the body and put a bolt through for them to connect to and I put like 1/8 spacer between the body and the connecter so it has room to move.then I put the other end on top of the axle almost in line with the back of the triangle peice thats on top of the axle,the peice that holde the blue arms. I still get the same articulation and wayyyy better traction and noo axle wrap. later on I might triangleate it or 4 link but I wanna find out how I'm gonna do the front first before I do it
I'll be adding the pics of this on here shortly