Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: $600 bones which new rc project to start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default $600 bones which new rc project to start?

This may need to be in the chit chat section but i dunno. Ok so, got the tax returns back, paid some bills, shared the wealth and I managed to hide 600 bucks for the rc addiction. The only problem is that I have too many wants and the funding to start only one. Ive narrowed it down to what I think are my top picks. They all would be a nice edition to the fleet so I would like to get some other opinions before I blow my wad on another shelf queen.

1-This first choice would probably see the most use but I have no clue when the chassis will be made again so it would not be an instant gratification kinda thing. I have a set of Wheely King axles and trans. and BWD makes an awesome pro chassis that puts the motor low and in-line with the transmission. I Would love to get this and deck it out with a HH motor and all the bells and whistles but really dont think I have it in me to sit on the money until the chassis is made again.

2-I have always wanted to build a scale good ol' boys style mud truck. As I think back this is probably the whole reason I got interested in RC waaay back in the day but I never knew what was out there. Im a die-hard chevy fan so it would be another clod body build. I think this would be the most fun choice and everything needed could be gotten quickly so id be in the mud and on the trail in no time. It probably wouldnt be a daily driver but it would for sure see some use and abuse.

3-This choice probably wouldnt be the wisest but its just to cool not to have. I want to build a mild brushless new school Kyosho Blizzard. There isnt a single snowflake here in SC so it would just be a dirt monster but would be a ton of fun. I would probably have to pre-order and wait on one but I might be able to hunt one down. Ive got a strange feeling that it would end up on a shelf and Id be explaining what it was to people for years to come though. Also I dont know much about them and they dont seem all that durable.

4-I could always try to find a nice used MOA setup. This choice would probably be a daily driver, and the most capable, but I would miss out on getting to do a new build.

If I could I would get them all but there can only be one so any opinions and points that Im blind to would be appreciated. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jason
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The good ole boys mud rig sounds like a hell of alot of fun! This is something I also am interested in doing. I raced mudbogs all over Oklahoma for a few years in my 1:1 and I think the down side applies here. It takes forever to clean and alot of maintenance. A good scale waterproof rig, in the mud, doin hill climbs, and running trails beats the hell out of a MOA setup IMO. If it ain't a challenge and don't look real it ain't for me. To each their own.
rokcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Which ever you pick, we have free shipping on all orders over $100! Go for the mudder... that would be cool! And you can run it at the zoo...

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Krawler, glad you chimed in. I think Im leaning toward the mud truck but I feel kinda ashamed that I dont have a respectable crawler. Either way I go, Ill order as many parts as I can from you. Any progress on a scale chassis?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Good ol' boys style mud truck

build you a chevy and make her squeel like a pig - sooouuiiiweeeeeehhhhh

BTW, wheres our Redneck smilie?
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPINKING View Post
Krawler, glad you chimed in. I think Im leaning toward the mud truck but I feel kinda ashamed that I dont have a respectable crawler. Either way I go, Ill order as many parts as I can from you. Any progress on a scale chassis?
Soon my friedn soon! The proto is being shipped out to our testers now! Just let me know what your needing for your build. We would be more than happy to help!

-Jason
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think Ive kinda decided on the mud truck. Deep down I think it will be the most fun to build and wheel. Ill just need to build it with a little crawling capability too. Ok Krawler I need everything. Im really into the trail finder chassis and I like that it can be leafed or 4-linked but it costs a grip. Anyone know of a good leafed chassis that performs and has a nice price? Also, I dont know if I want to go with 1.9's or 2.2's I'm leaning towards a 1.9 build just because I think it would better match a clod body. Another option would be to go with an x-trail chassis but I dont know what all I would need to buy to build it with out having an ax10 and I havnt found but just a small amount of info on leafing it. Also the thought had crossed my mind to start with a Honcho and just build it up to what im after. So for starters I need to round up a clod body, chassis, trans, and axles. These are the times that I wish we had a good hobby shop in town. I may be headed to Anderson soon.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

build my dream! A scale clod mudder/ trail truck! i wish i had the cash to build a scaler right now on an scx-10 frame!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
..........BTW, wheres our Redneck smilie?

Here ya go......
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Not sure how well this would fit in your budget but it seems to be a good head start with the leafs.
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=630
Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yeah the trail finder would be my top pick but 500 for the roller is a bit outta the budget. I think I am going to go with an SCX10 kit put in a Traxxas waterproof servo and esc, a holmes hobbies 35 turn, a Hand Bros. steering kit, and change up the wheels to some black 1.9 steelies with the lockers and some new tires. My only problem is that I think the Clod body has a wb of 10 3/4 (not sure) and the min. on the sxc10 is 11" (also not sure). Also considering a yota body but the hardbody selection has me a bit confused. Anyone with any info on this setup please speak up. I need a lil help on this one. I would love to run the clod body but dont know if it will fit on the scx10 and also the width may be a lil off, but I want the tires to sit out of the fenders just a bit. I also dont know if I should go with 1.9 or 1.55 wheels and tires. I would rather the rim/tire to be slightly oversized as compared to being too small.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #12

Sounds like a good setup, I would also say the mud truck sounds the best out of you options.
raptorridr660r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Great choice! PM us or send me a email with what your needing and we will really set you on the right track for some muddin!

-Jason
Jason@KrawlerHobbies.com
Old 02-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

to make the clod fit the scx10 chassi just shorten the links and your wheelbase is where u want it to be(if u cut it the rigth length:p)

im in the prosess of making my self a clod bodyied scx10 so i have to find oput how much i need to cut the links, and one stoopid question, do i have to shorten the upper links the same amount as the lower ones?
Sverref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I was kinda trying to stay away from making links. Other than building shocks this is my least favorite rc task. But if it has to be done im sure I could make it work. On your question with the upper links they would probably have to be shortened also but I guess it all depends on how much you have to shorten your lower links. If the lowers are just shortened slightly you could probably get away with using the uppers with just a slight foward angle to your axles. If the lowers are shortened up pretty good then you almost have to shorten the uppers also. Dont know if it would be the same length cut off of the uppers and lowers but that seems like it would work just fine.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Sweet, sounds like a good plan. The Chevy body you mentioned in the first post sounds most appealing to me but the Yota would look good too. Get some parts ordered and post up some progress pics man. I am excited about this build!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Was just thinking of going with the yota because I think the wheelbase is just about perfect for the scx10 chassis. The plan is to try and make the clod work though. I havnt ordered anything yet, im still in the price comparison stage, and trying to support all the vendors that I can on the site. I think I have just about everything worked out so in the next couple of days the ordering will begin. I will for sure start a build (assembly) thread but it may be a few weeks out still. Seems like the Good ol' boys truck is the clear favorite here so I appreciate all of your input.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I think starting with the SCX10 is a good (and most complete) way to start out. Besides that chassis from RC4WD requires you to run the f350 axles,yota axles or the Dino 40 axles (from RC4WD). I suppose you could make it to fit the TLT axle....but i`m not sure about that one. Mud truck does sound like a good idea....good luck on cleaning it though after you throw the mud around lol
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Does Tower sell grill for the chevy? I can find the body but not the grill, the original grill not the 4x4x4. Does anyone make the two headlight bucket grills?

Last edited by rokcrawlr; 02-10-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Rpp hobby has them but I think they are out of stock. I found 3 or 4 on the bay for around 80 bucks NIP with all the parts trees. Only downfall is they have the 4x4x4 grill. I think someone on here makes a reproduction grill with the chevy emblem though. Probably the way to go. I have also tried to get one from the Clodbuster Junkyard but you have to call them to order and I can never get anyone on the phone so i dunno about them. As much as I hate e-bay that seems to be the only route unless your lucky.