Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Testing new tires got a little interesting...MUD PICS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #1

Default Testing new tires got a little interesting...MUD PICS

Well bought a set of tires and trimmed them up pretty nice. So with that I decided to go try em out, and at first all was well. Then I got the idea to stop playin in the yard and go search from some killer rock area. Well I found one, at a new church they built by our house. Looks like a drainage area, and it was pretty soft walking too - sunk in a few times. Got to play on the rocks for a wee bit, and then found the mud......... Will post pics when I get them up, but I was pretty surprised at what it could do - had a few tires buried in the muck, and needless to say on the way out my newly trimmed tires were covered in mud so I couldn't test them out much.
Off_Road_Ram_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #2

Well got the pics loaded faster then I thought - so here are a few:

Still at home testing the new cut tires

Then came the idea to go look for a better spot to go wheelin

Does seem to climb muddy hills pretty good

The ground was getting soft - in fact I was getting worried cause I was sinking in standing around and if it got stuck down here don't know how deep it would have been for me to go get

Back tires were completely submerged for awhile, but I couldn't drive and take pics, and sure the heck didn't want to go back and try for a good shot

Well now the tires are covered in mud with no tread showing and I still had to climb out of the ravine

Man Down - Man Down

Now to even make it more challenging these stupid weeds and grass started hitchen a ride

Well - safe and sound back at the truck, just in time for the sheriff to show up to see what was going on. That's a complete other story - lol.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

mud is bad for these thing, isnt it?
Dana44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

yah u might want to pull the covers off the axles to make sure u didn't get anything in there.
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #5

Yeah I'll break it down after some of the mud dries off - surprisingly the axles didn't get too dirty and just mainly the tires got covered. I drove it around on the blacktop to try and fling some of the mud off, and so far it works under its own power - lol.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

thats cool, im scared to take mine in mud, dont want to mess it up....i thought about seeling the vents on the axles and then making a snorkel for the diffs so they can still vent so they dont get hot.

but then i would have to worry about stuff getting in through the bearings since they aren't sealed.....hmmm, theres something for me to look into, making some seals for the axles

my next RC after i am done with the Nylint will probably be more of a mudder/hill climber, its much easier to find mud around here than rocks
Old 01-11-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

o yah, we wanna hear the sheriff story!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #8

Probably should have used my common sense and just stay away from the wet areas - it wasn't bad at first till the tires spun and the rest is history. Well took the tires off and getting ready to inspects the inards - so far not much mud luckily.

Ah - the sheriff. I guess they have had problems with punks spinning donuts and stuff in the softer areas. Luckily my 1:1 was actually clean, and then he asked what I was doing there. I explained to him I gotten this jeep crawler, and he knew about them. He was pretty cool after that, and he even got out and looked at it in the back of my truck. Overall no biggy, and he sits there alot trying to nab speeders. I almost did try to drive my truck close to the ditch, but it was so soft I would have been buried and then probably would have gotten a ticket as wll.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #9

Well took it out again today by the same spot. This time I made sure to stay out of the river bed area. Didn't do too bad, and I started getting a better after some trial runs. I still get impatient and don't pick the best lines yet - rear shock mount busted on me so that ended my day. Quick fix - it was a custom one I made - didn't survive the double roll over into a valley - lol.