Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Portable Crawler Course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Portable Crawler Course

I am going to make a portable crawler course for display days but I need to work out the best way to make it light but sturdy. It will be transported in a 6X4 box trailer and does not need to be big.

What is the best method to making a course? :?

I have seen the old timber, chicken wire, concrete deal but that looks heavy

I have a fake rock, fibreglass fish pond at home that would be perfect if it was inside out. Does anyone know how that pebble look is done on fibre glass?

Cheers
rikstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I had an idea for a portable course that is yet to make it off the drawing board but it may work for you.

Using 4'x4' half inch plywood and some hinges make an "accordian" folding structure (you can make multiple ones to save weigth and hook them together later). Drill 3/4" holes in a 4" grid pattern on all the plywood pieces. Paint the plywood with sand textured paint.

Now make some rocks out of discarded styrofoam packing (like PC's and electronics are packed in). Cover the rocks with burlap soaked in mortor mix leaving the bottom uncovered. When dry insert two 3/4" PVC pipe in the bottom 4" on center (add a bit of glue to hold them) and allow 1-1.5" to stick out.

Now when you get to your site unfold the plywood and use milk crates, sawhorse, what have you to create the incline, add rocks in whatever pattern you like, and crawl.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Use the expandable foam that comes in a can. Make mounds and hills they way you want, then carve as you need. Then get some lightweight mortar and skim coat the foam. You can use chicken wire to reinforce the mortar/concrete to keep it from cracking.

You can also use cardboard boxes to make up free space(think light weight empty mountains), then cover them with the foam and crete.

From there its just your imagination and creativity on to how you want the course to look.
catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've been toying with 2' x 4' sections of plywood covered with packing foam. Then to keep it light I used plaster cloth to cover them. Then if need be bought bag of hard setting plaster for a final coat. You should be able to texture this with a sponge to add traction. then paint to the desired color.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Here is a link from Axial's website. You wouldn't have to build it like there's but it might give you some ideas.
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/rockcourse/
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote