Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axle Cross Pins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axle Cross Pins

anyone else breaking these? i have broke both of the ones holding the planetary to the axle rod in both axles. i tried calling and e-mailing nylint, but have yet to hear a responce.
i got sick of waiting for them, so I made new pins out of an allen wrench. i ground down the sides untill round then cut them to length. seems to hold up fine for now, but i am sure the rest of the plastic will be breaking shortly.

just a tip for those with simular problems.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

yes......people ahve used drill bits, bicycle spokes, nails (dont hold), and some other stuff...

i haven't broke any yet, but i also move it when it gets bound up instead of hammering on it....
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #3

Yep I have broken both of mine also, currently have dremel bit shanks cut to length in there now, and they work great. Haven't busted the plastic gears yet, and I wheel the heck out of this thing. Although when the front pin broke in mine, it did crack the plastic some, but still holding up for now.

And be patient with customer service, it may take a while, but they are GREAT! Took them a few days to call me back from the voicemail I left them.
mudking82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

when you guys say crosspins what exactly are you talking about? I was thinking the little pin that slides through the axle closest to the passenger side. Maybe 1/4" in length? Is that what your talking about?
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I broke my rear one, replaced it with some steel rod, promptly broke that (inside of 3 minutes in my basement). Drill bit going in soon.
gregman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki
when you guys say crosspins what exactly are you talking about? I was thinking the little pin that slides through the axle closest to the passenger side. Maybe 1/4" in length? Is that what your talking about?
there are 3 pins on each axle rod. one on each end and one that goes thru the planatary that holds it to the axle rod. that last one is the one that breaks.

and when the first one broke, the rear tire was bound. should have know better.
the front one broke while playing in the garage. that one supprised me.

as far as customer service, i am in no hurry now. it would be cool if i could buy a few spare pins to take them with me.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf24
there are 3 pins on each axle rod. one on each end and one that goes thru the planatary that holds it to the axle rod. that last one is the one that breaks.

and when the first one broke, the rear tire was bound. should have know better.
the front one broke while playing in the garage. that one supprised me.

as far as customer service, i am in no hurry now. it would be cool if i could buy a few spare pins to take them with me.
I had the same thing happen to mine. The best pin to use in their would be a roll pin. They are about the strongest thing you can use because that is what they are made for. I used a 5/32" dia. pin. I drilled the hole out with a 5/32" drill bit. Then I cut the pin down to the right length with a dremel cut off. The pin is harden so you can't just cut it with a hacksaw. One thing that I think is a must so you don't break anything esle at these locations is to get rid of the plastic sleeve that go over these areas. They are suppose to keep things from speading apart from the pin force. Plastic sleeves aren't strong enough for this. If you don't do this and the wheels really get bound up again then the plastic on the planitary housing (the the 3rd pin you was talking about) will rip right apart. I have a lathe so I turned down some aluminum sleeves to replace the plastic ones. I have really bound mine up and those areas has never been a problem yet since I done that. Of course when you fix one weak spot a new weak spot will show up like maybe the gears themself or the front knuckle. The pins on the outer section of the axles need these aluminum sleeves also. If you don't you will evenually break the outer axle stub. The slot that the pin fits into will break off one side of it. The aluminum keeps the pin from spreading it so it can't break. These are great crawlers if you have the know how to fix these weak spots. I really enjoy mine. So I hope this rambling will help you out some.
Gary
Wildmania2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

that must be one of the differences in the first chassis and the upgraded chassis.

my chassis is the upgraded version and only has one pin on each axle. it is on the passengers side. the drivers side the rod is "crimped" (for lack of a better word....it is flattened out) and in the middle everything is hooked together with bearings.
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #9

Well, I had both my front and the rear pins break, used the drill bit trick worked good, for a bit but you will end up breaking the axle shaft.... still have not found the fix for that one yet
jkoch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoch88
Well, I had both my front and the rear pins break, used the drill bit trick worked good, for a bit but you will end up breaking the axle shaft.... still have not found the fix for that one yet
Yea that had me concern also but so far mine hasn't broke the axle shaft. But like I keep saying when you fix one weak link the next one will show up and it will continue untill you strengthen the whole drive train. For me I like to tinker with crap like this so it isn't a big deal for me. I got plans to make aluminum knuckle housing but haven't done it yet. I don't have foundry equipment but I do have a lathe and mill so I can make one from solid stock. That should strengthen up the steering on these.
Gary
Old 01-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
[HOONIGAN]

The first time mine broke I put a roll pin in it that was about the same size. A couple of minutes later that broke into three pieces. Then I drilled the hole a little bigger, put a bigger role pin in, and then put a smaller roll pin inside of that one. So far so good.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

My new crawler I got from Nylint only has 1 single pin going through the axle. It's near the passenger tires.

My old crawler (older chassis) appears to be the same.

I'm only seeing 1 pin through each axle in the front and rear. Well technically front has 3 pins, 1 inside the axle cover and the 2 on each stub shaft.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:40 AM   #13

Quote:
My new crawler I got from Nylint only has 1 single pin going through the axle. It's near the passenger tires.

My old crawler (older chassis) appears to be the same.

I'm only seeing 1 pin through each axle in the front and rear. Well technically front has 3 pins, 1 inside the axle cover and the 2 on each stub shaft.
You can't see these pins unless you take the guts out of the axle case and take it apart. The one on the planetary gear is the hardest to see. There is a plastic sleeve that fits over it and you have to remove that first in order to see it. Then all you see if the end of the pin flush with the round part of the planitary gear case.
the others I was talking about are also covered with plastic sleeves so you can't see them unless you pull the axle apart. This is the older chassie I'm talking about.
Gary
Old 01-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmania2go
You can't see these pins unless you take the guts out of the axle case and take it apart. The one on the planetary gear is the hardest to see. There is a plastic sleeve that fits over it and you have to remove that first in order to see it. Then all you see if the end of the pin flush with the round part of the planitary gear case.
the others I was talking about are also covered with plastic sleeves so you can't see them unless you pull the axle apart. This is the older chassie I'm talking about.
Gary
Thats not a pin that goes through the axle then. Your talking the pins that hold the gears in the Hi/low planetary together. People we're making it sound like there was 3 pins that went through the actual axle.

EDIT*** I found some pics that helped.

I must have 2nd gen and 3rd gen. The blue peice thats busted in this picture on mine is a gear that engages a white plastic coupler then the axle has a cross shaped pattern to it that slides through the coupler (which has the same cross shaped pattern) That drives the driver side tire, and on the passenger side is a single crosspin that drives the passenger tire.

Last edited by Chuki; 01-23-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thats not a pin that goes through the axle then. Your talking the pins that hold the gears in the Hi/low planetary together. People we're making it sound like there was 3 pins that went through the actual axle.

EDIT*** I found some pics that helped.

I must have 2nd gen and 3rd gen. The blue peice thats busted in this picture on mine is a gear that engages a white plastic coupler then the axle has a cross shaped pattern to it that slides through the coupler (which has the same cross shaped pattern) That drives the driver side tire, and on the passenger side is a single crosspin that drives the passenger tire.
uhh, there are three pins. Hell, there are TWO in the pic you just posted!! But no, there's just one that breaks often, and that's the planetary pin that transfers the torque from the planetary to the axle.
gregman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #16

All I can say I have done the drill bit trick on the rear worked great for about 20 min. until I shatterd the shaft itself.. so I stole a rear from a freind of mine. got that running great so I could shattered the front axel shaft... I hope my parts come in soon cause we are out of parts....
jkoch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregman_1
uhh, there are three pins. Hell, there are TWO in the pic you just posted!! But no, there's just one that breaks often, and that's the planetary pin that transfers the torque from the planetary to the axle.
My axle 2nd and 3rd gen only has 1 pin going through the axle. The 1st gen (in the pic, not my pic by the way) has 3 pins, one to attach the planetaries to the axle, 2 for each wheel. My axle isn't like that.

Look at the top of this forum, see the axle breakdown pic thats the setup I have. Only 1 pin in the axle.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #18

Quote:
My axle 2nd and 3rd gen only has 1 pin going through the axle. The 1st gen (in the pic, not my pic by the way) has 3 pins, one to attach the planetaries to the axle, 2 for each wheel. My axle isn't like that.

Look at the top of this forum, see the axle breakdown pic thats the setup I have. Only 1 pin in the axle.
Yes Chuki I realize you have the newer chassie and not as many pins in their. What does the new chassie have to do with the guy that first posted???? My post was basicly directed to the first guy and the other guys that accually knew what I was talking about and it sounded like they had the older chassie. The older chassies have 3 pins front and rear that go through the main axle. The new chassies don't. These pins are weak on these. So is the plastic sleeve that go around these pins. That is all I was trying to say. Geeez.
Gary
Old 01-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmania2go
Yes Chuki I realize you have the newer chassie and not as many pins in their. What does the new chassie have to do with the guy that first posted???? My post was basicly directed to the first guy and the other guys that accually knew what I was talking about and it sounded like they had the older chassie. The older chassies have 3 pins front and rear that go through the main axle. The new chassies don't. These pins are weak on these. So is the plastic sleeve that go around these pins. That is all I was trying to say. Geeez.
Gary
No need to geez man, if you were talking to the OP (original poster) then don't quote me!! Geez!!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #20

Quote:
No need to geez man, if you were talking to the OP (original poster) then don't quote me!! Geez!!!!
At the start I wasn't quoting you but you were asking question and I responded to you trying to explain it. I know it can be confussing when there are different generation chassies out there. My main posts were about the old chassies and we wasn't connecting on what each of us was saying because you probably haven't seen an old one to know. Geeez
Gary