Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Pede Tranny Washers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Pede Tranny Washers

OK, a question for those that are familiar with the innards of the pede tranny. I parted out a tranny from an on-line hobby shop. It got here today, and when I started looking at the PDF on traxxas's site and putting it together, I realized I forgot to order the little washers that go on either side of the steel top drive gear, on the slipper shaft, and one on the idler shaft. No, I don't mean the bearings!!! It's traxxas part number 1985. A 5x8x0.5mm washer.

There's no hobby shop within about 4 hours of me, and I don't really feel like waiting another week for parts, and paying $7 shipping on a $1 part. I've thought about trying to check out a local hardware store to see if I could find an equivalent piece in the plumbing section or something.

Anyway... my question is... Has anyone ever built a tranny without these washers? Did it hold up? did there seem to be alot of slop or any extra friction?

Last edited by K_Willis; 01-23-2006 at 08:52 AM.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Well that sucks. I would wait and get the needed shims, but at the low speed of most crawlers you could take a chance and run with out them. You well have a little end play on your gears. Shouldn't effect gear mesh. Your spur gear well walk in and out a bit.
Madcratebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

yeah, go ahead and assemble/run it. I have a rustler that is without them that has had about 10 packs run through it with no problems. I have the washers but have been to lazy to put them in. Go ahead and order them in the meantime.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

yeah i built mine without them, seems to work ok, i'll prolly buy some soon to help eliminate any lil play
Brian, aka XJFanatic.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

K_Willis, i've got a bunch of extras from when i bought/built my pede trans, from the looks of my traxxas build sheet (same thing you're looking at) you'll only need three of them. I could send you three and a few extras through the mail if you'd like. (i found they work out pretty good as shims for TLT pinion shafts to take up any slop in those).
Zapper2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanx Zapper, I appreciate the offer, but I already managed to fab some up.

Took an old lid off a margerine container, set my drafting compass to 4mm. Draw a circle. Drill out the center of the circle with a 3/16 bit. Cut the remaining circle out with siccors... Voila... You have your 5x8x0.5 mm washer. Not a big deal since you only need 3.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote