Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: need help wit new wormanatior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking need help wit new wormanatior

Hi every1 jus got a wormantior (if thats spelled right) but I got the chassie and axials and 35 turn hand wound worrier also sidewinder an can make own links jus wording wht tranny 2 run axials so on so forth so an help will be much abliged
t-boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I'm sorry, I got a headache just reading that. What exactly was your question? What exactly did you say? We arn't texting here.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well I'm actully on my fone sorry but I was wondering wat type of tranny an dig I sould use also is my 35 turn right or do I need a differant type of motor
t-boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If the Worminators are anything like the Losi worms (and I imagine they are), they'll eat up brushed motors. Might want to check out their recommendations.
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

the worminator axles (im assuming these are from rc4wd) area 40:1 gear ratio, so your only option is the rc4wd transmission for the worminator axles. its a 1:1 ratio tranny, leaving your final gear ratio at 40:1. any other tranmission will give you a horrible ratio (with axial trans you would be 104:1 without considering the spur/pinion combo, i once calculated that with the smallest spur and biggest pinion made would still be over 140:1) imho, 40:1 is too tall, i run around 60:1 in my ax10 35 turn/3s lipo. your only other real option would be to build your own transmission that was around 1.5:1 ratio (basicly mount a spur gear on a shaft connected to the driveshafts and run the motor to that with whatever pinion).

as for a motor, worm gear axles take a lot of power to turn, most losi guys go brushless. i think a nice torquey motor like a handwound 65 turn on 3s lipo might do the trick, but i myself would like to hear from some people that have more experience with these axles.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Good luck. I bought a worminator ARTR and had nothing but problems with it. Spent more than it was worth, and just sold it today. RC4WD Flopped this one, They are supposed to be working on a trans. but have been given very little info on this, or when it's coming out... I have never gotten my worminator axles to the rocks.... I GAVE UP, and am switching back to axial.
717CRAWLERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
0 0

like silentcircus said if its like the losi you will either need the losi trans or i believe they make a trans just for the worminators on their site
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

I tried both the 1:1 R2 Trans. (which is HORRIBLY LOUD, and gave NO crawling power, even on 3s)

Switched to an Axial Trans, with a 35 pinion and a 55 spur and it still had no wheel speed, or torque for that matter.

Your best bet is the Axial Trans, 35 pinion 50 spur (if they fit) and the 25:1 worm gear upgrade ($50 and they take awhile to ship) and a hi dollar brushless setup with a 4s.. If your not willing to do that, I'd sell them.... I am speaking from 1st hand experience. I was SO excited to get these axles, they look great, and would be very nice if they worked. But the effort I invested in them is countless hours and lots of $$$ and like I said before... I never made it to the rocks with them..
Old 03-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'll help you get it running, once we pick it up tomorrow, bring it to my place.
If its here i'll teach you how spell, i mean put your truck together and get it going. lol

Cant wait to get it running, will be fun.
Lance
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
I'll help you get it running, once we pick it up tomorrow, bring it to my place.
If its here i'll teach you how spell, i mean put your truck together and get it going. lol

Cant wait to get it running, will be fun.
Lance
Good luck, you are in for a treat.

You should do a build thread so all can follow!!

(no bash intended)
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 717CRAWLERS View Post
Good luck, you are in for a treat.

You should do a build thread so all can follow!!

(no bash intended)

Will do, i'll start one with pics tomorrow, t-boner is my neighbor.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
Will do, i'll start one with pics tomorrow, t-boner is my neighbor.
Awesome, I look forward to checking in with the progress!

What for tranny do you plan on running?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

custom trans, if not proly losi comp trans.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

even with 25:1 axles, 50/35 spur/pinion on an axial trans you will be 94:1. with that sort of gearing, a sensored brushless setup on 3s would be the way to go.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I beleive that you should go with the losi trans.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The axles Im selling him already have the 25:1 upgrades in them I tried it with a stock axial trans with 87 tooth spur and 20 tooth pinion and it was like watching a second hand on a clock and I was using an FXR running 3s/35 turn hand wound.Im building a MOA using bullys instead
fastfred28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

The LCC trans will work with the 25:1 gears for the axles. If you get the tranny outputs more centered in the chassis, you should be able to get some high clearance links (think T1E moon-buggy links) on it. The drive shaft should almost run flat with the raised pinion output shaft at the axle.

Last edited by corkysk8; 03-28-2010 at 11:08 PM.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 717CRAWLERS View Post
I tried both the 1:1 R2 Trans. (which is HORRIBLY LOUD, and gave NO crawling power, even on 3s)

Switched to an Axial Trans, with a 35 pinion and a 55 spur and it still had no wheel speed, or torque for that matter.

Your best bet is the Axial Trans, 35 pinion 50 spur (if they fit) and the 25:1 worm gear upgrade ($50 and they take awhile to ship) and a hi dollar brushless setup with a 4s.. If your not willing to do that, I'd sell them.... I am speaking from 1st hand experience. I was SO excited to get these axles, they look great, and would be very nice if they worked. But the effort I invested in them is countless hours and lots of $$$ and like I said before... I never made it to the rocks with them..

Hey Josh, your old chassis and axles will be getting set up with a MM Pro, LRP 21.5, LCC tranny with metal internals on 4s. My LCC axles are 25:1, just checked it by hand, so a 12T pinion with the worminators will be the same as my 12T pinion on these LCC axles. Really looking forward to putting it together, as I feel the LCC axle housings are a weak link. The plastic allows deflection, so the screws strip threads in the housing, so the deflection gets worse, and so on. Metal housings will fix this, and the extra clearance will be nice.
Thanks again for the great deal, sorry you had so much trouble with it.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #19

i just setup a rig with these axles. as mentioned they look great, finish is awesome but so many issues getting them to work well. mine came with the 40:1 gears and RC4WD sends the 25:1 gears to you as a free upgrade if you contact their customer service. i tried them with an R2D tranny and it was super slow even with 22 tooth pinion and brushless 17.5 turn motor and 3s. i orderd the 1:1 tranny from RC4WD and i hope that makes a difference. also i have contacted them and there is no dig available for this tranny currently. once i get that tranny installed i'll let you know how it works.
overland_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

would it be possible to use a 1;1 transfer case?

I'm proly going to just get the lcc trans 4 him.