Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: exceed maxstone 10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #81
Rock Stacker

Default Re: exceed maxstone 10

I have a couple and really like them. So far every AX10 part I have tried to upgrade with will work with little to no modification. I have a thread going as I modify and upgrade what breaks.
mowheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #82
Rock Stacker

Wow that custom chassis looks great! Any thoughts on selling those as conversion kits? I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my Maxstone. Sometimes I just want a big truck body on it. Then I see that you can put it on an SCX frame kit, but I already have an unbuilt SCX10. But it makes me think this. If it will fit into an SCX10 chassis, will it fit a Wraith chassis? But by the time you buy all the other bits, trays and body, you will have spent well over $150 and it won't be half of what a Wraith is.
shahram72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

Yeah I have to say that exceed rc are crap!! My neighbor had this exceed maxstone 1:10 scale and we went off-roading in a creek so I had a 35t in my scx10 with good Irok super swampers and his didn't go any place where my honcho went!! Sure put a sh@$ load into it and it may be just as good as a scx10. I debated about getting one but most guys work on them more than driving it,there just junk. And there customer support at exceed sucks!!!! Not to mention the parts being out so much. Just sell it and buy a ax10 or xr10, it'll be way better trust me. And for those that saw my thread about a maxstone well I made my decision, put more upgrades on my ax10 ridgecrest, now that's a real crawler.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #84
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Yeah I have to say that exceed rc are crap!! My neighbor had this exceed maxstone 1:10 scale and we went off-roading in a creek so I had a 35t in my scx10 with good Irok super swampers and his didn't go any place where my honcho went!! Sure put a sh@$ load into it and it may be just as good as a scx10. I debated about getting one but most guys work on them more than driving it,there just junk. And there customer support at exceed sucks!!!! Not to mention the parts being out so much. Just sell it and buy a ax10 or xr10, it'll be way better trust me. And for those that saw my thread about a maxstone well I made my decision, put more upgrades on my ax10 ridgecrest, now that's a real crawler.
........and you've never had one? I've had both. From what I can tell, out of the box they are very similar, as well, to make either one bullet proof you will end up replacing everything. Exceed just is a cheaper buy in and a great way to get started in the hobby, or a rental rig for friends /kids. Let's just call the Exceeds a "gateway drug".

Last edited by mowheelin; 03-13-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: More thoughts....
Old 04-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #85
Rock Stacker

Anybody know what turn the stock motor in the Maxstone 10 is? I just want to know to compare if I choose to upgrade to an Axial brushed motor. And I don't want to burn out the stock ESC as I think it functions perfect. Some say it has a drag brake. I don't know, it just seems to be geared so steep that it won't roll when the motor is off, powered up or not. The drivetrain seems locked when it's stopped.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #86
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Anybody know what turn the stock motor in the Maxstone 10 is? I just want to know to compare if I choose to upgrade to an Axial brushed motor. And I don't want to burn out the stock ESC as I think it functions perfect. Some say it has a drag brake. I don't know, it just seems to be geared so steep that it won't roll when the motor is off, powered up or not. The drivetrain seems locked when it's stopped.
I think somebody told me the stock is a 70 t. I have burned up two exceed ESCs but did it on a 13t and 3s. I ran them quite a while on 2s/13t and didn't have a problem. Really the 13 t is to much, I would say 20 t or slower would be a good territory to stay in and not make problems happen.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #87
Rock Stacker

Wow, that explains why it's so slow and so powerful. So it's not just a standard "540". It's a real crawler motor. I don't need speed as I want to put a scale body on it, but a little more would be nice. Axial 27T motors are cheap.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #88
Rock Stacker

The 27t should be a great compromise.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #89

I just bought the scx10 chassis for my maxstone10, and axial 27t motor and I'm planning on making it a
scale truck and running the 2.2 for while until I can get 1.9's.
But I got to say i'm impressed with my maxstone and I haven't had any serious problems with the truck.
I think as long as you run a 2s lipo or 6-7 nimh your safe and the servo has metal gears so thats nice.
Maxstonescaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #90
Pebble Pounder

I know it's an old thread, but best I could find for it so....
Santa brought my boys 2 maxstone 1/10's (ages 4 and 6), if your looking for a ok truck for a youngen these aren't to bad...anyway heres my picture (with my ax-10 pile soon to be finnished)
dannan_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #91

The stock motor is a 55t. Im running a 35t rc4wd in mine with a 84t spur with no problems. My esc blew first week i had it so ive been using a rooster ever since.
jasoninarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #92

My lower link mod
jasoninarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:23 AM   #93

Time flies, here is what I've broken so far
  • Motor
  • Servo
  • Speed
  • Front axle housing
  • Diffs

My upgrades
  • 4ws (savox 1256 front and generic cys in the back)
  • alum diffs from pangolin parts
  • tamiya 35T motor
  • wp1060 speed

I'd like to convert it to scaler, but don't know what parts do I need to achieve this and make it look like an scx10. I don't care bout the money, I just want it to look better
p0110x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:52 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Get a complete scx10 chassis with braces, skid, and shock hoops. Then use you axles, shocks, and links to get started. There is a lot of Everest 10s covereted over pretty straight forward swap.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #95

I just got my new Maxstone10. I ordered it from Amazon for 149.99. It shipped from Nitrorc. I am posting this because the truck I got does not match up to what has been posted about them in the past. First thing I noticed was that the service horn on the truck was metal, looks like cast aluminum. There was also a spare in the box. Next, I checked the esc and receiver. As has been found with the Redcat Everest 10, the esc is a WP-1040 Brushed. It has the jumpers for boat or crawler and NiMH or LiPo. It says it is good for up to 3S. The receiver doesn't have a model number but it says it is a 4 channel water proof with failsafe. The servo and motor have no markings.

It also had a Redcat style battery connector.
0RESET0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #96
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0RESET0 View Post
I just got my new Maxstone10. I ordered it from Amazon for 149.99. It shipped from Nitrorc. I am posting this because the truck I got does not match up to what has been posted about them in the past. First thing I noticed was that the service horn on the truck was metal, looks like cast aluminum. There was also a spare in the box. Next, I checked the esc and receiver. As has been found with the Redcat Everest 10, the esc is a WP-1040 Brushed. It has the jumpers for boat or crawler and NiMH or LiPo. It says it is good for up to 3S. The receiver doesn't have a model number but it says it is a 4 channel water proof with failsafe. The servo and motor have no markings.

It also had a Redcat style battery connector.
Well you never received a response, but same boat for me.
Just got one for my son for xmas, he's been really wanting one so he can cruise around with me and my ax10. It was delivered last night and I saw the metal servo horn and spare as well. Looks like a couple upgrades to it over the years. I'm sure I'll be moving some of my spare ax10 parts to it over time, and I'm sure the servo will use upgrade upon breaking, that's just a given.
When I took this out of the box, I was impressed, way nicer than I expected.

Now I just need to stumble upon more threads here about upgrades...hopefully me bumping this thread will prompt some responses.
wicked4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

yea the maxstone 10 has definitely been updated and improved since this thread started.
I got mine about a year ago, its got a metal locker not plastic, metal servo horn (with an extra in the box) the ESC is pretty nice, with a real crawler drag brake, and of course its a 2.4ghz radio. I have yet to break anything.... Based on reading threads like this one I orderd spare axles when I bought the truck, but have not needed them...

Ive also got mine converted to 4 wheel steering. The one knock I do have on the truck is the terrible turning radius. I keep mine in two wheel steering most of the time, but any time I need to make a U turn I just engage 4WS....

The other "issue" is the huge amount of body roll, but thats really just a cosmetic problem. It looks stupid, but it doesn't affect crawling.
The only other thing I did to mine was replace the tires with some proline bfg ko2 all terrain tires, which are awesome.
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote