Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: exceed maxstone 10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default exceed maxstone 10

Mine showed up earlier today. I have an axial/bastard jr setup, but I wanted to get a cheap crawler that my dad could play with when he comes down.

They have the body mounted way too high, i lowered it about an inch and could go even more. The springs are way to soft, it has a lot of body roll. The tires are a little too stiff and don't grip very well on my river rock course. The axle guards are stupid and hang up on everything

I have some old rovers that i am gonna throw on it. I also have my old axial springs that i am gonna throw on it to see if it stiffens it up. I will be removing the dumb axle guards also
sorry about the bad pics i took them with my phone

Last edited by snowshoebrue; 04-05-2010 at 02:03 PM.
snowshoebrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I was really eyeballing the maxstone16. This one for the price looks great and contrary to the majority, I do not believe it will fall apart in no time.
I reall like it!
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
I was really eyeballing the maxstone16. This one for the price looks great and contrary to the majority, I do not believe it will fall apart in no time.
I reall like it!
I was looking at the losi mrc knock off one too, looks like it could be nice for the price.

Did that come with a 2.4 radio? Sure looks like it in the pictures...
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My wife wants a cheap crawler to start with. Maybe this is the ticket?
Kanine38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
Did that come with a 2.4 radio? Sure looks like it in the pictures...
yes its a 2.4 and its already linked so all you have to do is charge the battery and drive
Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #6

if i am loooking for a cheap car to start for for my friend is this good for him...
and did it handle better with your adjustments
thanks
perez62682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoebrue View Post
yes its a 2.4 and its already linked so all you have to do is charge the battery and drive
Damn, when they first listed them it said fm radio. Definitely seems like a decent/good deal for a basher. Are the axle gears plastic? Is axial axle equipment interchangeable?
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #8

Those are inexpensive. Let us know if you still like it in a month.
n2dmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have a 1/16 and 1/10 arriving tomorrow. I couldn't pass them up. Going to make me some cheap beater scale rigs.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

well you need to add servo to the list of things to order. It has plastic gears and it broke on the second battery. The springs i had from my axial were shorter than these so i made some two stage springs with a piece of the maxstone spring and axial spring. It helped, but it still has hella body roll. The rovers helped alot, i didn't have very much weight left so i only put 3oz in the front tires. I did put my axial rims on it with more weight( 6 and 4.5 oz) and it worked better.
The axles do look like they will take axial parts. the main axle housing measures the same as the axial. Knuckles look the same. I'm pretty sure the gears are metal, but i haven't taken them apart yet.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #11

i've got a maxstone 10 myself, i've had a gas duratrax racecar for the last 10 years and i thought i'd try some electric cause i wanted to get into rock crawling.

i broke my front driveshaft the day after i got, i made a new one out of some metal tubing until i found some real steel ones on CKRC's website.

my servo pooped out after about a week too, found one at CKRC with metal gears for $18. IMO, it's not a bad crawler to F around with in the backyard, which is why i got it. i have a real 4 wheel drive if i wanna go hardcore crawlin.

my bro has a 1/16th, i think it is a little better, his still works great, battery life is about an hour and nothing is breaking. it's just really small, which is good and bad

Last edited by creepcrawlin; 05-20-2010 at 12:56 PM.
creepcrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

im looking for one since they are out of stock if anyone has one...
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

That thing looks like it could do ok with a little work I'm thinking about getting the 1/16 and doing a scaler with it just for the price you can't go wrong
Yotaboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #14

the more i think about it, with the maxstone's, the way to go is the 8 or the 16. the 10 is way too long, i always get hung up on the motor/tranny skid plate. bigger tires would probably help, b/c the axles have crappy clearance too.

i moved my 4 links around on each axle - pulled the upper links out to the end and moved the lower links in 1 hole - it improves the driveshaft angle, but it kills the ground clearance.

i've been trying to find shock oil at local hobby shops to fix the body roll, but the hobby shops in raleigh are few and far between. i do most of my shopping online.

the next car i get will most likely be a RC4WD, everything comes with metal and it's only a little more than what i spent on the maxstone 10 plus the new driveshafts and servo.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Anyone know where you can get either the maxstone 10 or 16 now? Nitrorcx.com is the only place I can find and it seems like their whole online store is out of stock. Seems a bit shady to me.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepcrawlin View Post
i've been trying to find shock oil at local hobby shops to fix the body roll
If your home brew two stage springs aren't "enough" and you're looking for more spring or slower action, maybe you could try some small pen springs inside the shocks as well...?
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Anyone know where you can get either the maxstone 10 or 16 now? Nitrorcx.com is the only place I can find and it seems like their whole online store is out of stock. Seems a bit shady to me.
everywhere i know of is sold out, try a local hobby store, thats where mine came from, the guy even gave it to me for the internet price. and it is shady, you can hardly get parts for them too......i'd go with a different brand, kinda wish i would have.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
RCC Addict

If there was another company that had this exact model I'd definitely go that route. Unfortunately the other china ripoff brands crawlers are all much different.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Iv heard the 1/16 is very similar to the losi can anyone verify this or am I wrong
Yotaboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaboy89 View Post
Iv heard the 1/16 is very similar to the losi can anyone verify this or am I wrong
It's a clone, more or less.

I have mixed feelings about Exceed. They make cheap, simple stuff that get people into the hobby. This is good.

However, this cheap stuff often breaks, and they have minimal hobby shop support and do little/nothing to advance the hobby by coming up with their own designs. This is bad.
Roketcooper is offline   Reply With Quote