Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: stick vs. NN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing
You don't have to spend the other $100 for a cometitive rig, the last 3 comps out here in Colorado have been won by drivers running the NN chassy.
This is very true, especially since I won the last 2 . I looked at the two also and decided on the NN because of the adjustability and overall ease of setup. I never looked at slugzs that close but it just seems like it would be a pain to mount a batt on a round piece of tube. The only advantage a stick has over a properly set up NN is belly clearance. But I didn't see that being worth the extra $100, hell that's commando's and moabs .
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofreak
What type Rim and Tires are on that rig?:?
The rims are XTM Thorns gunmetal and the tires are Proline Moabs.

Someone mentioned that the wheelbase on the Stick is not adjustable. And I am not saying this to argue, just saying it can be done. I am working on and have almost completed an adjustable wheelbase 2.2 stick. When it is finished I will do a write up, but it is very simple to make. There is a spacer in the middle of the backbone that can be removed or replaced with a shorter/longer one to adjust the wheelbase. Again I am not trying to argue, just sharing an idea that can make a stick adjustable.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Depends on the driver. Some people run steering and throttle for one axle off of one stick on the radio. Loonies like me have both throttles on one stick and both steering servos on one stick. The former is more straight forward and takes less thought when you get yourself into a jam. It is harder to isolate the front throttle from the rear when trying to find traction and occasionally I accidentally blip the rear. running both throttles off of one stick does not defeat the purpose of seperate motor control unless your throttle stick only moves up and down.
Yup I run it like that. Top right is forward and bottom left is reverse on the right stick. Top right turns to the right and bottom right turns to the left (I run my stearing reversed compaired to most). Independent front and rear controls with the addition of under the knuckle batterys take crawling to a whole new level.

Mixers are for wussys!
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN
There is a spacer in the middle of the backbone that can be removed or replaced with a shorter/longer one to adjust the wheelbase. Again I am not trying to argue, just sharing an idea that can make a stick adjustable.
That is what I will be doing with mine once I find some materials I like. Using a simple pin such as a body clip would allow the WB to be adjusted quickly.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #25
The Wheels Keep Turning

One of the local guys roktoy used a tripod section to mock up a stick. The adjustable tripod sections could also be used to make a quick adjust stick chassis. The main reason I don't make an adjustable stick is because i've run rigs at 17" wheelbase and they get hung up way too much. 16" wheelbase is the ticket 95% of the time.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote