Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: stick vs. NN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default stick vs. NN

i just earned a lot of money and am going to begin my second project. my first was a new bright w/ links and motors etc... i would post pics but camera not working.
i decided to start a real project and have narrowed it down to the "stick"

and the NN.

tell me what you guys think of both and hpefully i will be able to make a descision.

another noob question.

which one of these would probably be cheaper to make good?
and what do you think the total cost would be with fairly good parts?

Thank you for all your help!

Last edited by Nate666; 01-25-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Nate666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I like my stick it has insain ground clearnce. The only thing that kinda sucks is that its hard to change the wheel base. But i would deffently use it again.
rockcrawler_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #3

I just bought the NN because you can change the wheel base.
psychofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Stick is pure comp rig. Need attention to detail when it comes to picking your electronics, no skipping corners..... The Stick can't be beat for a comp rig.

The NN is a well rounded crawler setup, comp or weekend runner. The NN can be built for pretty much anything, plus you can run a stick pak if that's what you own/run.

If your experience level is still at n00bie, which it sounds like... go with the NN. If you DON'T plan to compete, go with the NN. If you want to compete only, go with The Stick.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

i am a newbie but i make $20 a week [im 13] so i want to make the best first so it doesnt take years to make a good car.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
The Stick is pure comp rig. Need attention to detail when it comes to picking your electronics, no skipping corners..... The Stick can't be beat for a comp rig.
I have to dissagree with you here, the stick can be beat in comps, just ask Jason. Some people that have run both prefer the NN but it really comes down to what you like. I like not having the 4 link setup and the solid axle attachment but I would like a longer wheel base so that is why I am going to extend mine a touch.

I will tell you to get the NN because it can be used so many different ways and still be very competitive. Dont get me wrong I love my stick (keep your comments to yourself pervs ) but it does not leave a lot of room for things like twin speed controls, 8 cell packs and the like.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

for every one who is wondering i am going to get the stick. just because of the insane things it can do.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

what would be the point of two speed controlers.
btw do you people care about double posts cause if you do sorry. some other forums i go on people will get soooooo mad if you double post.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #9

I own the "stick" its pretty bad a$$ and hard to beat in most comps

just ask toyofast..........hehehehe and anyone @ ORCRC
Racetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate666
what would be the point of two speed controlers.
btw do you people care about double posts cause if you do sorry. some other forums i go on people will get soooooo mad if you double post.
i have a NN and i use two speed controles. the two speed controls allows for a lot more controle and maneuverbility. you live very close to me, when you get your stick running we should go crawling together and see the differance. here is a pic of my NN.

Last edited by kevinlongisland; 02-03-2006 at 09:36 PM.
51504rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default Stupid question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504rock
i have a NN and i use two speed controles. the two speed controls allows for a lot more controle and maneuverbility. you live very close to me, when you get your stick running we should go crawling together and see the differance. here is a pic of my NN.

So do you have 4ws, or just have two esc.....i am confused why you have two?

Last edited by kevinlongisland; 02-03-2006 at 09:36 PM.
ROCK god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK god
So do you have 4ws, or just have two esc.....i am confused why you have two?
i have two speed controles and 4ws. the two speed controles make it so i can controle the motors independent of eachother so i can do front and rear diggs. my truck can do a 360 turn and not even move forward an inch. hope that clears things up for you. if you do not know what front and rear diggs are do a search and you will see what i mean.
51504rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Twin speed controls are a lot of fun but they are a pain to learn. Start with one and if you think you want it upgrade later.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing
Twin speed controls are a lot of fun but they are a pain to learn. Start with one and if you think you want it upgrade later.

yeah...... i also have been reading alot of these threads trying to figure out whatchassis to use and for me it was the NN chassis. i like it becuase it will be good for a first time clod build up. also i will only be using the NN for weekends and backyards bashing. in my opinion the sticks are cool, (great flex,ground clearance) but unless i crawl competively there is no need to spend that extra 100 dolllars on a chassis. just my .02 cents. :-P
ROCK god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK god
but unless i crawl competively there is no need to spend that extra 100 dolllars on a chassis. just my .02 cents. :-P
You don't have to spend the other $100 for a cometitive rig, the last 3 comps out here in Colorado have been won by drivers running the NN chassy.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing
You don't have to spend the other $100 for a competitive rig...
Sven has a homemade stick that cost 30 something dollars.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3039/nov192937jh.jpg

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4457/nov192859xw.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2993/nov192973ug.jpg
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #17

What type Rim and Tires are on that rig?:?
psychofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

my stick only cost me 40 bucks
rockcrawler_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:06 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default question....

those running the twin speed controls......

are you sersiously controlling both ESCs/Motors on seperate Tx sticks? AND also controlling 4wheel independent steering on seperate sticks?

if so that IS insane. that may border on being more difficult to control than an RC Heli (trust me helis aint easy)...

but anyways--- i JUST started learning fully independent and proportional 4WS on my PTI MMT (1/18th turned into a mini crawler). i can just say its NOT easy to control the steering 'correctly' while climbing crawling. (and i am a profeccient micro heli flyer). i feel like i have somewhat of an advantage having been used to using a the left hand rudder stick to control the rear steering, it turns the RIG exactly the same way a heli rudder turns a helicotper. but still its been tricky to learn.

i set it up on a Futaba Helicopter transmitter. throttle and rudder on left side (rudder is my proportional rear steering) and front steering on right hand side.

i could not imagine trying to add an additional control (would end up being 2nd throttle control on right stick fwd/bckwd movement)... that would REALLY confuse things even more-- may cause brain meltdown

why not setup with BOTH esc's controlled by 1 throttle stick. or i assume that is defeating the purpose because the point of your dual ESC's is to gain dual independent throttle control? now that's OVERKILL for sure. if you can control 4ws and dual throttle controls 'consciously' all at once--- i AM IMPRESSED. but i suppose with time/practice, just like flying helis, the brain can learn.

sorry, guess i should search on dual throttle control--- just seems like it would be tricky to learn and maybe a bit overkill unless you INTEND to be real good at the hobby, competing and whatnot.

Last edited by WRXronald; 01-30-2006 at 09:11 AM.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXronald
those running the twin speed controls......

are you sersiously controlling both ESCs/Motors on seperate Tx sticks? AND also controlling 4wheel independent steering on seperate sticks?

why not setup with BOTH esc's controlled by 1 throttle stick. or i assume that is defeating the purpose because the point of your dual ESC's is to gain dual independent throttle control? now that's OVERKILL for sure. if you can control 4ws and dual throttle controls 'consciously' all at once--- i AM IMPRESSED. but i suppose with time/practice, just like flying helis, the brain can learn.
Depends on the driver. Some people run steering and throttle for one axle off of one stick on the radio. Loonies like me have both throttles on one stick and both steering servos on one stick. The former is more straight forward and takes less thought when you get yourself into a jam. It is harder to isolate the front throttle from the rear when trying to find traction and occasionally I accidentally blip the rear. running both throttles off of one stick does not defeat the purpose of seperate motor control unless your throttle stick only moves up and down.