Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Ok 4-Link Guru's, Take A Look At My Rig...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 07:35 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

I did the front last night-

The links are a little closer than 3/4" on the chasis side but it still works just like the rear.

Now, I have another problem. The chasis drops a WHOLE lot when I set it on the ground under its own weight. I'm talking about a good 1-2". Also, when the springs do compress the chasis just goes even lower, it's like the springs don't even push it back up.

This is what it looks like on the blocks- (and it drops a lot under its own weight)

Now this rig is quite a bit lighter than a stock Nylint, and the springs (Duratrax buggys) feel stiffer than stock Nylint springs, so I wasn't sure if stiffer springs were the answer?? Could the shock posistioning have anything to do with this?? I had the shocks at more of a horizontal angle when I first put them on, but since I've fixed the 4-link and noticed this "sagging" problem I've angled them more vertically, as you can see in the pics, thinking that would help.

I've played with the shock location enough to where I don't think that's gonna help any. I'm thinking stiffer springs but I don't want this thing to have the articulation of a covered wagon.

Suggestions???

Last edited by RANOVRU; 01-28-2006 at 07:38 AM.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Because your shocks are mounted so close to the chassis mount of the links, they will need to be either straight up and down, or have very stiff springs, or a combo of both. You have to imagine, because of the shock location, a tire may move up 2" vertically, but the shock may only travel 1/4" to 1/2". Having stiff springs with the shocks in that position won't hurt anything. That is one of the reasons I mount my shocks right to the axle and not the links. You have more control of the action of the shocks and you can tune them much easier. Think about it, if mounting shocks to the links was the best idea in the world, wouldn't the 1:1 guys be doing it. Don't be worried, try some stiff springs, or if you have another set handy that will fit those shocks, try putting both on there. I ran a shock location like that on my first two chassis. I had one and a half springs per shock, plus adjusted the screw on the shock to get the final ride height just right. It just takes some playing around.

Edit: Oh by the way, the links looks great. Glad to hear that it is all working now. Anytime you need help with suspension design or have questions, feel free to contact me.
Trailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a lot! You've been a huge help.

I'll hit up my LHS and look into some very stiff springs. Oh, and I'll keep you're offer in mind ;)
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote