Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Warp4 in PTI MMT, geared WAY down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Warp4 in PTI MMT, geared WAY down

hello all...

while i'm waiting patiently for my brushless outrunner (1000kv) to show up for REAL TORQUE crawling.

i stole the Warp4 brushless motor (3880 kv) out of my Miniquake...

it DID NOT like 81 tooth spur and 18t pinion at all. barely could get over the cog and get moving... and overheated in a N.Y. minute.

destine and INSISTANT to do some baby-crawling with this thing since its been sitting here collecting dust for a week after i finished building it--- (waiting for my intended brushless powerplant).... i decided to gear WAY DOWN with the Warp4 inrunner and give it a shot.

results are actually VERY good. i'm pleased so far. went with a 10t pinion (.5 modules is VERY VERY similar to 48 pitch and can be used with little extra wear/tear on the gears)... and all my Trex heli pinions are of course..... .5 modules. (stock gearing is 18t pinion, 81t spur, not sure the kv rating of the stock brushed motor is-- but its a big 550 brushed motor-- would have used it temporarily, but i don't have any brushed ESC's)

so again-- 10t pinion,,, and just for the PURE record--- 90 tooth is the largest spur you can fit in the MMT w/out having to mod the metal side plates. on the side plate edges i've got just over 1mm of space on each side after installing the 90t spur... its close-- but it fits.

on the bottom tranny plate i had to dremel out a recantangle exactly 16.75mm x 7mm space for the gear teeth to hang down. NONE of the teeth stick out below the plate,,, they come down almost flush--- so you don't actually have to ALL the way thru the bottom plate.. but i did since there was gonna be nothing but a paper thin layer of plastic left anyways.

works GREAT. crawls over all kinds of stuff. overcomes that obnoxious inrunner COG syndrome quite well. goes real SLOW of course but has TONS of torque and grunt and of course some obnoxious torque shift/squat to the one side.

using a mamba esc lowest timing, lowest starting power.

again, FINALLY having some fun,,, snowy outside but i just tossed down a whole bunch of obstacles and having alot of fun crawling up and down and all over stuff in the basement.

using 3s thunder power lipos (11.1v) 2100mah. bout 20minutes run time.

motor does get quite hot... but i suspect the oober powerful MP JET outrunner i'm getting won't be the same story and will naturally be an even better crawler.

i've got TC3 spools in front and back. and yes the steering SURE sucks. but i've got another high torque servo, and some rods on the way for the 4wheel steering mod, and i've got rods, center CVD's, and Integy piggyback aluminum T-maxx shocks on the way for the stretch mod as well-- trying to get long enough for a shorty 10in wheelbase, 1/10th truck body to fit and look more 'scale' than the stock body.

10inch was the smallest wheelbase that i could find on a 1/10 truck body at Tower. most of them are 10.5

this is the first 'crawling' i've ever done and its a lot of fun so far. the slow up/down and sneaking up and over stuff is actually a lot more fun than just bashing around. i can already CLEARLY see why everyone INSISTS on 4WS mods because i could tell at some points if i could just turn the rear wheels a bit this or that way, i could make the next grab and pull the truck up over an obstacle.

oh yeah-- pulled the foams (too much BOUNCE) and mounted the tires backwards from tread direction.

anyways-- pics when i get the stretch, steering and MP Jet Outrunner up and running..... just wanted to share the results so far. LOVING this hobby so far. lots more fun to come!!!

Last edited by WRXronald; 01-27-2006 at 02:49 PM.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Between the runtime and the motor temps, I think a gear drive is called for. Heli motors like to spin fast with little load; in a crawler you should be able to run for an hour with a 2100 pack, especially with an efficient inrunner. I think it's still over-geared for the motor.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default ....

i agree completely... the motor for use in this truck is NOT right. but it at least had me up and piddling around a bit while i waiting for the new motor (MP JET outrunner) that i really plan on using in the truck.

the MP Jet came today--- so tomorrow i get to see if my ACTUALLY intended motor choice works well or not. this jumping from a 3880kv inrunner to a 1000kv outrunner... pinion 10t to 13t respectively. so overall that is a gearing down further of the truck itself, and the motor itself should be much more capable than the Warp4.... which like i said--- seemed to be VERY able to go only when it had a moment to get up and going. less than great ability to actual CRAWL over and bigger stuff. back to the MiniQuake with it when the truck had just a bit of room to get started moving--- it would EASILY flip itself right over in torque, as well as roll itself head over heals in braking force..... was kinda fun. all that torque and driveline held up just fine so far.

will also be adding the rear-wheel indepedent progressive steering mod tomorrow. gonna use a 6ch Rx and my Futaba 7CHP helicopter Tx for the job... should be interesting learning to steer two sets of wheels independly of each other.............

i think i'm going to make the rudder stick control the rear steering... should be a similar 'feeeling' function... rear wheels can control turning direction JUST like rudder of a helicopter.

Last edited by WRXronald; 01-29-2006 at 12:14 AM.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i geared down my pti with this
although the COG is alittle high but you gota sacrifice somewhere
toyota_yes_please is offline   Reply With Quote