Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Steering Trim Rearsteer Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #1

Default Steering Trim Rearsteer Control?

Just trying to see if anyone as tried this yet...or if it is even possible...im not an electrical guy, so i dont have the knowhow to attempt it...i searched and came up with nothing...any input would be appreciated....
thanks

-James

Last edited by sexj; 01-29-2006 at 02:38 PM.
sexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

well sexj lol love the name i dunno what do you mean? could you maybe explain more?
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:33 PM   #3

well, have the rear steering be operated by the "steering trim" knob on the controller....cause right now it will turn the fronts left and right....would it be possible to wire in a rear stering axle and have the trim turn the rear axle instead of the front?......(front axle controlled by the steeringwheel, rear axle controlled by the steering trim knob).....

thanks

-James
Old 01-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
RCC Addict

hmmm i dont think it would work but hey it is worth a try if you dare
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #5

im about to buy another 1:6 and use this one for parts...and i would try if i had a full wiring diagram of this thing...anyone have one?

-James
Old 01-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

No...neat idea, but it wont work, you'd REALLY need an extra channel, that trim knob adjusts the steering channel over a very small range.

HOWEVER, there's something I've been thinking about doing, if I ever get another axle...
Wire the second axle in reverse as normal, but use the high/low channel to switch between linked or opposed steering instead of switching to high range... you should use the high/low channel to switch the rear steering OFF, instead.

You wouldn't even need to do much work. Use the high/low selector motor in the rear (front) axle, and a microswitch, to interrupt the power to the rear steering motor.
If you're going to keep your High range, set up the axle to NOT steer in high, and center your steering before shutting it off.

Edit: This idea has been mentioned before, on 8/22/05 ! The only thing different in the first post was the idea of using a relay to switch between the front and rear axle, instead of using the existing hi/lo arm in the axle to operate a pair of switches. Ah, well...

Last edited by vlmarshall; 01-30-2006 at 09:23 PM.
vlmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I wonder if you could route it so that the throttle trim would adjust the rear axles?
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki
I wonder if you could route it so that the throttle trim would adjust the rear axles?
yea, either one....wouldn't matter to me...as long as i can control it seperately, while spinnin the tires

-james
Old 01-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Seperately? You'd want to control EITHER the front or the rear, but not both at the same time? Interesting variation...but it's still possible, easiest if you used a DPDT microswitch to switch power between the two steering motors...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
What? No. See Above.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hey now I just said it was a thought
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

why would you wannaput two big *** front axels on ur jeep?? its bad enough trying to get just the front over rocks let alone having two try and get two front axels over rocks?

adawg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:19 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hey now I just said it was a thought
Haha, I know...I was tired when I wrote that, it wasn't supposed to sound like it did.
Actually, there's nothing wrong with thinking like that, it's how new stuff gets invented.

Two big axles is bad? Hey, if the first one made it over, the second one will, too! Not only that, the second one might be able to pick a different line!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmarshall
Seperately? You'd want to control EITHER the front or the rear, but not both at the same time? Interesting variation...
yea, just like a real rig....they usually have the steering wheel for the front axle, then a joystick by their side for the rear axle...

because if they're tied together...well lets say your crawler is up on some rocks...you have to turn to the left to get up and over, and there is a ledge (drop off) right at the edge of your right rear tire....if you had rear steer tied together, when you turn the front to the left, the rear would turn towards the dropoff...so when you gas it, it'll just drive the rear off of the ledge....see what im sayin?...

even if i could do it where the steering wheel could be used for both...but where i could switch from front to rear....where you could turn your front tires to the angle you want them, then throw a switch, and turn your rears to where you want them...

i don't know about yall, but i've already come across alot of situations where i wish i could steer the rear around things...or jsut try to steer it to grab traction...

just my $.02

-James
Old 01-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawg69
why would you wannaput two big *** front axels on ur jeep?? its bad enough trying to get just the front over rocks let alone having two try and get two front axels over rocks?

could always shave the big rock ancor steering box off and use a servo
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #16

I'm the only person (to my knowledge) that has done 4 wheel steering. IMO, if I had the option to steer just one axle at a time I wouldn't use it that much. With 4WS, I can turn a LOT sharper than a regular 1:6, and I rarely have to alter my line once I'm in place. It'd be neat, but IMO not really that valuble.
f0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedMini469
could always shave the big rock ancor steering box off and use a servo
i was just gonna move the links around and put it in facing forwards...that way it will drag the steering box like the stock front does....

-James
Old 01-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Yeah, the stock 1:6 certainly has a HUGE turning radius, not at all what I'm used to on my 1:1.

Sure, you could shave off the steering motors and go Servo, but then you can just buy a real transmitter, too, and steer with an extra channel. I've almost considered using my Futaba 9-channel Heli radio, and buying a surface-use module for it.

But, we've already got a Nylint 3-channel, and most people are locking out hi/lo anyway, so use that channel for switching between the two axles!

I'm looking into modding that third channel for proportional signals...
Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Well, after opening my TX and looking at the board, I see the 3rd channel isn't going to be proportional, BUT the 'ATS308T' chip it uses also has a FOURTH, unused 'Function' channel!

Now to open the truck and see if the receiver is using the RX8 chip...

If this works, you all can keep using the hi/lo selector and still switch steering between two axles, or switch on lights and such.

Or, lose the high range and use both 'Function' channels to operate a winch...

Edit: Yes, the receiver is using the RX8 chip, with the unused function on it (of course)... now to test it...

Here's the chip in the transmitter, and the one in the receiver, with that extra function pin highlighted...

Last edited by vlmarshall; 02-04-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

ooooh. Neat, keep us posted!
player is offline   Reply With Quote