Go Back   RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers
Loading

Notices


Thread: Komodo Rocker

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default Komodo Rocker

So after the last tread on this am not sure how this will go...., but after the owner of Power Racing and I got to talking I ended up with a test Komodo for R&D...seems they are not selling ..So for the next month or so I will be Testing the Komodo and getting it ready to take with me to the Axial West coast Championship LCQ along with my Berg. So my first impression of the Komodo was WOW . Looked like a lot of work,but after a couple of days I have started to head to something that can crawl.First was the ride height out of the box..IT was 4.28" WOW..Next was the Axle rap again WOW....Both these issues have now been addressed and will be corrected along with tire foams. Did I forget to mention there were none in the wheels .. I went to the garage and made up some upper link plates to get ride of the axial wrap.I also moved the lower links to the inside of the chassis plates (this might also make it to production) Like we all said if you are going to make a crawler why not make stock what all others sell as after market .He wants me to use as much as the stock parts as possible..so for now I laid the shocks back and limited the travel (shorter shocks are on the way along with a tuning option( internal limiters) in the box..Oh they also now have steel drive shafts...(SOLD SEPARATE).....I would love to have all of your input GOOD or BAD ........So for the next comp I through on my Daughters spare wheels (seen in pic) and will go head to head in the sportsmen no dig class..and so how this thing holds up against a CDW chassis Pimped out AX10 that she kicks ass with..hope I remember how to drive with out dig and my MOA....LOL.....I also will have an updated version of the RTR Komoto with me Just in case any one wants to see it,kick it,piss on it or what ever
Name:  DSCF0174.JPG
Views: 1666
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0178.JPG
Views: 1527
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  DSCF0182.JPG
Views: 1526
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  DSCF0154.JPG
Views: 1490
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0183.JPG
Views: 1479
Size:  70.6 KB

New ride height

Name:  DSCF0185.JPG
Views: 1518
Size:  65.2 KB

new battery/servo mount

Name:  DSCF0188.JPG
Views: 1664
Size:  70.3 KB

Old pic so you can get the idea of how tall it was

Name:  rocker_6b.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  72.2 KB

Last edited by Gardetto; 04-27-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Thorp WA, more sheep than men...
Posts: 545
Default

Whats yer comp style komodo weigh in at as of now?
dickwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Western ND, Bakken central
Posts: 1,631
Default

I surf this site all the time and haven't seen one of these rigs before. The thing that interests me so far is the axles. What's your first impression of them? Are they sold separately?
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
JC Auto Design
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lakehood, Crawlerado
Posts: 2,167
Default

You know, with as much crap as I've even given this company, this is a step in the right direction. Give the product to someone that knows what to do, use their improvements, and make a better product. This is what R&D is supposed to be about.


Here are my comments/suggestions:
I like your rear upper link mount, looks easy enough to program into a cutter (die or mill, etc.)
Definitely will see improvement with better link geometry with the chassis side lowers inbound.
I don't know why they thought the COG that high would work, on any kind of RC vehicle (even monster trucks don't have COG that high) so your new ride height is definitely an improvement. That's about where you want a sprung shafty to be sitting at.
The front servo plate needs a couple little slots to slide a piece of velcro in it to secure a battery.

Is there a way to make the servo/link plate mount posts a little shorter so the plate sits right on top of the axle housing? That 1/4" might make a good difference in COG and steering capability.


Overall, I hope that this gets PR to realize they can't just slap together a few knock off parts and think it's going to sell like crazy, they need to have something that's half decent out of the box for people to want it. With the bad publicity it has gotten so far, they literally have an uphill battle to climb, and it's not going to happen the way they have it right now.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickwart View Post
Whats yer comp style komodo weigh in at as of now?

6.5 lbs with new electronics
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Thorp WA, more sheep than men...
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardetto View Post
6.5 lbs with new electronics
Not too bad considering metal axles... Any chance of plastic replacement housings fer those who wanna go lighter?
dickwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
I surf this site all the time and haven't seen one of these rigs before. The thing that interests me so far is the axles. What's your first impression of them? Are they sold separately?

Yes... I think for around $140.00 for the pair
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: My Old Kentucky Home....
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
Are they sold separately?
Power Racing has an eBay ID that sells them, something like Lora's Attic or something like that.
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default

Not wright now..Not sure if the closed knuckle would hold up in plastic....not to sure how they will even handle in metal..they were for their scale truck...Not for comp crawling demands..I will let you know how they hold up after a couple of comps
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Western ND, Bakken central
Posts: 1,631
Default

Thanks for the info. Definitely interested in hearing how they hold up
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default

You can deal direct with Low price hobbies 510.793.8585 witch is power racing's store they have all the parts in stock (I mean every single part on the car even hardware kits(nice) I just picked up a couple for my self they are nickle plated and a lot cheaper then all the other kits I have seen)

Last edited by Gardetto; 04-28-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
You know, with as much crap as I've even given this company, this is a step in the right direction. Give the product to someone that knows what to do, use their improvements, and make a better product. This is what R&D is supposed to be about.


Here are my comments/suggestions:
I like your rear upper link mount, looks easy enough to program into a cutter (die or mill, etc.)
Definitely will see improvement with better link geometry with the chassis side lowers inbound.
I don't know why they thought the COG that high would work, on any kind of RC vehicle (even monster trucks don't have COG that high) so your new ride height is definitely an improvement. That's about where you want a sprung shafty to be sitting at.
The front servo plate needs a couple little slots to slide a piece of velcro in it to secure a battery.

Is there a way to make the servo/link plate mount posts a little shorter so the plate sits right on top of the axle housing? That 1/4" might make a good difference in COG and steering capability.


Overall, I hope that this gets PR to realize they can't just slap together a few knock off parts and think it's going to sell like crazy, they need to have something that's half decent out of the box for people to want it. With the bad publicity it has gotten so far, they literally have an uphill battle to climb, and it's not going to happen the way they have it right now.
Thanks for given PRP a chance..With all our help this could be a decent product ...and for the front servo/battery mount..I need to get to my work....both plates were made with my hacksaw..I will fine tune them.
this week
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
JC Auto Design
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lakehood, Crawlerado
Posts: 2,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardetto View Post
Thanks for given PRP a chance..With all our help this could be a decent product ...and for the front servo/battery mount..I need to get to my work....both plates were made with my hacksaw..I will fine tune them.
this week


I think it just needs a little love from a few guys that know a little bit about crawling.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default

Thank you guy's......so far,so good.....Keep the ideas and questions coming I will try my hardest to answer all and keep this thread updated with the Komodo's progress witch at the end of all this PRP can re-release and hopefully not get slammed......Remember all input is welcome good or bad....

Last edited by Gardetto; 04-27-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
Nor-CalRCRC slave
 
gunnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Mateo, CA.
Posts: 2,222
Default

Geez, did ya have to put my mounts on that thing? Just kiddin Arnold, it's just like any stock Axial, mess with it long enough and it will get better and better, your proving that now.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default

They are already having them made in China as we speak...Jk Gunnar I only use the best parts on my builds no matter what they are I will be bringing two of these things on Thur for every one to play with....
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #17
Nor-CalRCRC slave
 
gunnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Mateo, CA.
Posts: 2,222
Default

I can beat China prices.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Bay
Posts: 351
Default

Did you already buy drive shafts for your new FF-4 build ? I might be able to get some new PRP steel shafts if you want to test and review
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #19
Nor-CalRCRC slave
 
gunnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Mateo, CA.
Posts: 2,222
Default

I got Stampede shafts, but it's a long way off yet. I'll have the Corky with me, maybe it would fit on the back.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave
 
The Real Dogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indian Village Pontiac
Posts: 2,020
Default

I will take you up on the offer, I just got a set of komodo axles from the lhs. I plan to do a highly detailed scaler/ttc/comp truck with a full tube chassis with an extremely detailed engine, transmission and t-case. ect... and need some steel drive shafts.

oh and how do I get a set of the locking pins for the axles, mine did come with any..
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-20010 RCCrawler.com