RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Surging Problems! ! ! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/24689-surging-problems.html)

Havoc_RC 01-30-2006 02:53 PM

Surging Problems! ! !

I thought the battery was just dead but I let it charge for 12+ hours and it is still doing the surging. It mostly does it when I'm trying to climb something. Should I just go out and buy a new battery, maybe try and find a smaller one that puts out the same amount of power for my future "tummy tuck?"

Which battery should I look into? Any help would be appreciated! ! !

BTW - I also put a new battery in the control just to rule that out also...

bobbo27 01-30-2006 04:09 PM

Your charger could be faulty, there was another thread like this. If you have a multimeter or something, try testing the output of the charger.

shawnf6 01-30-2006 05:31 PM

hi , this might sound stupid, but check for sure that the gear shifters are both in the correct gear. if they are not it will act almost like a dead battery...surging mine has done this alot.some times you can shift back and forth and it will be ok, but it will stick again. it only takes a little dirt in there.good luck

Shawn

Havoc_RC 01-30-2006 06:45 PM

I'm a newbie to this thing, where are the gear shifters?

bobbo27 01-30-2006 07:04 PM

They're in the axle cases. Have you tried to shift between high and low to make sure theyre in the same gear?

adawg69 01-30-2006 07:09 PM

sometimes if your gears are stuck between high and low it will act like it is running low on battery but sometimes its just the damn gears!! thats is why i did away with high low!! :) Crawlers shouldnt have a "high" speed

Havoc_RC 01-31-2006 05:10 AM

After work today I'm going to put it up on the stands and see if I can tell if one axle is in high while the other is in low. Appreciate the help guys!

trw 02-03-2006 07:21 PM

I am also having this problem, I recently picked up a scorpian and today just drove it for the first time, shortly after it began to surge upon any amount of load, checked both axles and they are in the same gear so.....:S

vlmarshall 02-03-2006 07:26 PM

Hmmm... ok, does it surge with all four wheels in the air, as well?

trw 02-03-2006 07:50 PM

yes it will surge in air as well, and the battery reads 12.78 volts

vlmarshall 02-03-2006 08:03 PM

I should have asked more questions in that post, sorry...

Does it surge at any throttle setting? In either direction? In both High and Low gear? Does it surge more while the steering motor is turning? ( that one might be hard to see)
Is the surging regular, and constant? Does it surge more at high speed? I wish I could see it...do you have a multimeter? I hate to ask that...hopefully it's something simpler that I'm NOT thinking about, like a drive belt that's kinked from sitting in one spot a while...

trw 02-03-2006 08:52 PM

it will surge at any speed, any gear, any direction, even strait, and any amount of throttle.

and its not the drivebelt, because the whole array of humming noise the motors make cuts on and off as it surges, as well as the servos buzzing noise
and yes, I used a multimeter to check the battery, so Im officially stumped, my best conclusion is a buggered circuit board.

*edit*, well I ran it again and as soon as the surging started I took a volatage reading and it read 11.20 volts, so ok the battery is dead, after charging it for 18 hours.
are these batteries suppose to run out quickly on their first few charges, like "breaking them in" or something? Cause I know with the smaller 7.2v NiMh batteries and such, usually it takes a few charges before you get its full capacity out of it

tombstone 02-04-2006 10:05 AM

mine only surges in high i think i had ran the battery down and it did that it only surges in high never in low

run2jeepn 02-04-2006 10:30 AM

I hope you already checked this, but is the battery in the remote good?

tombstone 02-04-2006 08:53 PM

well lol my battery was dead in the remote if run2jeepn didnt say anything it woulda been back to walmart

Harvey Wong 02-04-2006 11:51 PM

I had a surging problem and it was because of a faulty charger. Check the voltage coming out of the charger plugs. It should be greater than 13-14 volts. I'm not exactly sure what the voltage is because I'm not using a stock charger to charge my battery now.

Maybe someone with a working charger can measure this and report back.

Havoc_RC 02-05-2006 06:18 AM

I've changed the battery in the remote, I've checked to make sure both axles are in the same gear, only thing left it to get another battery charger and see what happens I guess. Probably be heading up to Wal-Mart today to see if they have any.

Chuki 02-05-2006 01:13 PM

I have 2 chargers they show about 13 volts coming out of the charger with nothing disconnected. When charging they seem to go up to about 14.6-14.8 and then stop charging. When I disconnect the battery and check the battery it usually has charge anywhere from 14 to 14.4 volts.

trw 02-05-2006 02:08 PM

my charger shows 16.8 volts when on the wall.

bought a new battery for the remote, let the nylint battery charge for 30 hours, went out and after 14 minutes it started surging again