Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New SCALE Project, Any input?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New SCALE Project, Any input?

Hello, I am starting a new scale project, but am unsure what to use as my base truck. (Maxx, Clod, or TXT-1) Here is where I am starting.

What do you think?[/url]
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

Default Re: New SCALE Project, Any input?

Clod axles like Jasoninagusta did.
The tranny for a shafty will interfere with the interior unless you make it a skyscraper or build a custom tranny.

Clod axles would be the way to go.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yea Clod axles would be the easiest, but I don't have a spare set of Clod axles at the moment. I guess I will see how everything goes together after I get the Aluminum frame done.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

no! shaftie! put the tranny under the hood and make a transfer case...that would be sick wicked...
jordanator62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanator62
no! shaftie! put the tranny under the hood and make a transfer case...that would be sick wicked...
That is a great idea. I'll have to do some designing and see what I can come up with. I do have a couple spare E-Maxx trannies laying around. And a ton of Maxx diffs/sliders.

BADGER : I liked the project Jason did with his, but mine won't have any of that fancy computer stuff though. But I do have a couple mini color cameras I could rig up on it. And an Infrared night vision system I have been working on too.

Plus it is still going to have full working lights. I'll have to design up some schematics for the lighting system though so I can build the blinker modules and the high/low beam setup. Shouldn't be too hard, But i will have to get another 4/more channel radio system for this project. (I want everything controlled from the controller)
Old 11-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

that is going to be a sick looking hummer. I'm building the same thing, with jug axle's,e-maxx, and savage shock's and a custom tube frame out of brass.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

if i were u i would go with the clod axles just make it a lot easier and more realastic

Nate
Clod_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clod_Guy
if i were u i would go with the clod axles just make it a lot easier and more realastic

Nate
More realistic? Do Hummers have engines on the axles?

An idea I've had for a crawler is to put the motor up front with a driveshaft running to a custom transfer case. I was hoping to accomplish a few things...put some weight up front, a smaller "trans" w/o the big spur gear...thus reducing the size of the frame. This would be especially good on a small scale crawler but might work good this Hummer also.

Eric
BigSmokinGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I know Clod axles would be the easiest, but I don't have a spare set of Clod axles. I have been tinkering with the idea of MAXX axles. Here is an example.
I like the Jumbo Swampers better than the Clod tires too.

Here is the Maxx Tranny under the hood.

And here is one of my newest crawlers. She's supervising.
[/url]
Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clod_Guy

Nate
I just bust up laughing everytime I see a post like this. So many guys suggest Clod axles for a SCALE buildup.

THERES NOTHING SCALE ABOUT A CLOD AXLE.

Sure Clod axles might make a decent crawler,even though IMHO they are to narrow,but if it's a true Scale buildup,ya need to use a shaftie. I wouldn't even use maxx stuff. Well,I guess for a scale Hummer,Maxx axles would be best cuz Hummers are IFS/IRS in the 1:1 scale
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The Transfer case will take some time to get just right, but this is going to work. It will take some time though.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:41 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

That thing is huge! 8O
mrwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful
That thing is huge! 8O
According to NEW BRIGHT it is 1/6th scale, but I think it will look pretty good when it's all done.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful
That thing is huge! 8O
According to NEW BRIGHT the body is 1/6th scale, but I think it will look pretty good when it's all done.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #15
bendforthebone

If you really want to make it scale then have independent in the front and a mad force axle in the rear. Thats how the real truck is set up. Ifs and a solid rear axle. Just my 2 cents
badtodabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #16

what?! yours has a scale interior?? i had picked mine up from wal-mart and it doesn't have a interior or opening hood. im doing my hummer for a scale rock crawler. i have a bunch of mad force axles and a spare t-maxx so im doin mad force rear and t-maxx front suspension and a t-maxx tranny. lets race to see who gets it done first, jk. im gettin the chassis plate machined tomorrow in shop. and ill get pics up when i get a camera. course mines gonna be done dec 1st for shop fair.o
fastmaxxcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:34 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Clod_Guy wrote:
Quote:

Nate

I just bust up laughing everytime I see a post like this. So many guys suggest Clod axles for a SCALE buildup.

THERES NOTHING SCALE ABOUT A CLOD AXLE.
I think what he meant was that clod axles would allow it to be more realistic because it would allow room for a scale interior. but to be really scale it is done just how it is goin right now with the tranny up front with a transfer box in the middle.[/quote]
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:25 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmaxxcooper
what?! yours has a scale interior?? i had picked mine up from wal-mart and it doesn't have a interior or opening hood. im doing my hummer for a scale rock crawler. i have a bunch of mad force axles and a spare t-maxx so im doin mad force rear and t-maxx front suspension and a t-maxx tranny. lets race to see who gets it done first, jk. im gettin the chassis plate machined tomorrow in shop. and ill get pics up when i get a camera. course mines gonna be done dec 1st for shop fair.o
Yea, It has a full interior. I found the complete RC truck on E-bay for 12.50 And everything worked 8O You can't even get a LEXAN bofy for that price. 8O I was surprised no one else bid on it. Oh well my gain
Our WINTER carpet racing has started back up again, so it will be a long time before this truck is all complete