Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Offroad lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Debunking old stereotypes

Default Offroad lights

Hello folks, newbie here at rccrawler, I've checked out all the Nylint posts, some cool and creative ideas, I'm taking the best and incorporating those with some of my own ideas. One thing I didn't notice was an offroad lights post, I've seen the head light and tail light posts, ( I had mine done before stumbling onto this site with a quick trip to Radio Shack).
Just before X-mas while shopping at Northern Handyman WWW.Northernhandyman.com I picked up one of those head lights that you use for hiking/biking and in my case plumbing, well before it even got used for work I spoted an even better use for it, lol the head is lil and has a nice shape, it also has the switch on the light head and a battery pack connected by about a 15" wire, I cliped the elastic band off and with very lil trimming on the light itself I came up with a very bright, functional (4 led's in each head) easily mounted offroad light, I put 2 on my 1:6 and 1 on my 1:18, I mounted them with 1 self tapping screw so they swivel and they also are ajustable so they can be pointed backwards. The lights were $6.00 ea and work awsome, with a run time of 30hrs on 2AA batteries. I took some pic's but can't figure out how to post them? I'm completely computer illiterate. If someone can help? I'd be glad to post them.

with elastic band still on, with band off.

battery pack

a lil flexing

EDIT PIC springs were getting a lil weak, added some Savage shocks, going out to test right now.

Edit: Savage shock update, well the verdict is in, for me in Mn these shocks keep alot more pressure down on the tire producing much more traction, I was able to crawl right up 2 hills in my yard (snow covered) that I've been attempting since Dec, I was very pleasantly suprised, also before the new shocks with the stock spring setup at night my light beams would bounce around like crazy and now it looks much more real, the only trade off is I lost a lil bit of flex, for me its worth it for the traction I've gained, plus I still have my stock springs if I need the flex back and I'm not done checking out mounting postions.
P.S. Barbie & Ken froze their tush's off during R & D, and so did I, lol

Sorry the pic's aren't very clear,crappy webcam only.

Troy

1:1-87 XJ 3" lift, 31" MT baja claws, Dana 44 r-locked,Dana 30 f-locked, ect ect
94 F-150 4x2 locked.
1:6, 2 Jeeps, 3rd (warranty) on the way, 1 stock except paint, 1 for R & D on my mods.
1:18 1 Scorp stock, 1 Jeep stretched wheelbase.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 02-03-2006 at 09:32 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

http://www.imageshack.us

the rest is self explanitory
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

That is GENIUS!! I'm doing it to mine tonight!
zach3713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

That's great. My LED headset is pulling duty as a makeshift instrument cluster light in my DD.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

How well do they work at night??
Old 02-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Debunking old stereotypes

Default offroad lights

They work great, I live in Mn and it gets dark in winter by about 5:30 pm so most of my wheelin with it is at night, its like having 2 nice flash lights taped to the thing, very nice spread, so far I've had them on since X-mas and they've been working great, another plus is they act kinda like a pivot point for rollovers and usually flip you back on your side. still on 1st set of batteries and have atleast 25 hrs on them, still as bright as new.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Awesome, i'm gonna order me some....although it says they're on backorder
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

Sweet light mod, Don't know if ever checked out my lights. I can crawl pretty good with just some hi intense bulbs from these raovac headband flash lights I got. I need to do a LED sawp yours looked good.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote