Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 1/18th tuber buildup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Very nice work on the nylint, Iam also diggin that 1:1 ya got.
Clodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2006, 07:27 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

That came out awesome! Great work, very impressive. I really need to try my hand at brazing, yours looks so cool!
Lt. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Thanks everybody for the comments! As soon as I can find some time and a good place I will take it out and thrash it. It IS a little too shiny for my taste, time for some rock rash!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 AM   #44
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Awesome rig!
Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #45

man that thing is sweet !! great job
bigjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:46 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Wow, I have never seen something alike!

Very nice job!
mt_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Disregaurd any axle strengthening advice that I may have given, aparently I know nothing!! I took mine out on some bigger rocks today and now neither axle is working properly. they are clicking like crazy and the bearings I put in the front knuckles won't stay in, they keep walking out after a couple of minutes of driving. I have tried gluing them to no avail. I am going to rip into the axles and start fresh. I will make them as bomb-proof as I can, and if they still won't hold up, I might have to switch to the dark-side(clod axles! ) I haven't given up yet, but this is their last chance. I think my rig maybe too heavy for them!:neutral:
Old 03-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #48
RCC Addict

dont go clod keep it narrow and scale go with tlt axles
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent
Disregaurd any axle strengthening advice that I may have given, aparently I know nothing!! I took mine out on some bigger rocks today and now neither axle is working properly. they are clicking like crazy and the bearings I put in the front knuckles won't stay in, they keep walking out after a couple of minutes of driving. I have tried gluing them to no avail. I am going to rip into the axles and start fresh. I will make them as bomb-proof as I can, and if they still won't hold up, I might have to switch to the dark-side(clod axles! ) I haven't given up yet, but this is their last chance. I think my rig maybe too heavy for them!:neutral:
Hey GB have you viewed "sneak peek part 2" in awhile your answer is there. I've so far sheared a drive pin and tore a moab off when it was bound up and still no clicking those plastic gears are not up to par.
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman
Hey GB have you viewed "sneak peek part 2" in awhile your answer is there. I've so far sheared a drive pin and tore a moab off when it was bound up and still no clicking those plastic gears are not up to par.
Mr G, I have an idea that I want to try first, involves a little less machine work. Besides, I'm still waiting on your write up.

Basically I am going to eliminate the yellow gear on the end and use the black gear (normally high range) as my new low range gear. seems to be alot less slack there.
Maybe that will help keep the gears from jumping around as much. I am also going to have to add a tamiya 5:1 planetary since i will be removing the nylint yellow planetary. Here's pic.

I'm still sure the metal gears would be alot stonger, but in the meantime I'm going to give this a try.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good idea, I like your thinking.
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #52
Y-Town Crawlers

I ran something similar to that for a while, and it was an improvement, but it still didn't hold up to 2.2's for very long.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:42 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

Well, I got both axles done and so far so good. I can put it on the carpet and put my foot on top of it so it won't move then give it full throttle and it will spin all fours until I put more pressure, then it just stalls the motors. I took it on my back yard course and was relentless with it, still no problems, just stalls the motors even with my 7 cell pack! I wil take it back to the place where I destroyed both axles to start with and see how it holds up.

BTW, I also figured out an easy way to set it up to do front digs (burn turns). More on that later!

Last edited by getbent; 03-30-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like it should be fine....good luck. My axles are still holding up great. I shimmed the last gear on the planetary so the gears make better contact. So far so good. Keep us updated.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

I have been dogging the heck out of this thing every chance I get and so far no problems, it just stalls the motors if it gets in a real bind. I can hammer down and let it bind up and bounce around until it finds a way up!! Much better than before; not even a peep out of the axles! Here's a few pics of wheelin on the back yard course. She's gettin quite a bit of rock rash, so much for being a trailer queen!!LOL

One day I'll figure out how and I will post a vid, but first I need my tq3 so I can set up a third servo for front digs!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

looks sweet. did you end up putting the tamiay gear reduction in it ?
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #57
RCC Addict

That thing is awesome!!!!! Nice job!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted
looks sweet. did you end up putting the tamiay gear reduction in it ?
Yes I did, but only because I had to remove the yellow Nylint final planetary and drive gear. The yellow Nylint planetary is a 5:1 so I used the tamiya 5:1 to keep the final ratio the same. This does not give the low low effect, low range is exactly the same as before. I could have used the Tamiya 4:1 instead to get a little more wheel speed, but would lose a little low-end torque. Does that help? Here's a breakdown.

Stock with low low mod

Without weak final drive gear ( same total gear ratio as stock)

Old 04-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

very nce crawler! man I need to get goin on my 1:1 so I can go crawlin when I get my license lol nice rigs tho!
trost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:42 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

How's this awesome rig holding up? Any breakage? Again, great work on this rig getbent!!