Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Toe In / Toe Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Toe In / Toe Out

Who here runs Toe In / Toe Out on their crawler. Which do you run and how much of a difference do you notice?

On some of my quicker trucks, I run a touch of toe out on the front for a little quicker steering response. I tried a little on the TLT, but with the locked diffs and slow speeds, it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference...

Anyone else?
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I run a little toe in on the rear, about 2*. The front are straight. It does seem to help when the tires are spinning like crazy on steep climbs. It's a lot easier to keep straight.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I don't know what degrees I have going on but I like a bit of toe out on the front and a bit of toe in on the rears, especially if it's a 2ws rig. If for a 4ws rig I still like to keep a bit of toe out on the front while trying to get the rear to zero toe in/out.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I run pretty much straight on the front and toe in on the rear. I've been hearing this thing about toe out in the front helps steer. I think I'll try it.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

toe-out in the front gives the correct ackerman angle.

say your turning left.

with toe-in your tires are fighting the turn. Left front is trying to track straight while right front is trying to turn in.

with toe-out the left front is actually following into to the turn and the right front is going out helping the truck follow the directed path instead of scrubbing.

You can just run 0* and when you start rolling forward the wheels will toe-out due to the friction between the tires and road. That's why all vehicles are set from the factory with a little toe-in, cause once you start rolling forward the tires are pulled straight and they fall into 0*. If it was set at 0* they would be at positive toe when rolling forward (causing premature tire wear)
sicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

You can't run much toe out otherwise at full left turn your left front will reach it's limit before the right front.

I would run very little toe out if anything.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

really at the speeds the crawlers are going is the toe in/out thing neccessary? i know it helps when running the higher speed wehicles, but at walking speeds over rough rock terrain i would think just running them straight would be fine.

am i wrong?
xtremraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

I race one of my real cars so I was wondering this myself some time ago. After trying different settings on my own I came up with this: since the diffs are locked, the tires are squishy, and very little is precise anyways, it matters not.

However the one change I did find to actually help a little was rear toe OUT. most noticeable was on a 2WS rig, it helped swing the rear around when turning.

All my ****s at zero now.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
Sinking with the ship

This toe out theory is very interesting... I know on my race clods I run the rear locked out with a lil bit of toe in because they straighten out then when you launch it. As for my crawlers i typically try to keep them at 0* or they are toed slightly.

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
I know on my race clods I run the rear locked out with a lil bit of toe in because they straighten out then when you launch it.
Mike you should try toe out and check it out. Get back to us if you do.

My real car has toe out front and rear. It's a 94 Civic. Toe out on the front helps with turn in, toe out in the rear helps swing the rear out. Toe out in the rear also helps counter the designed-in toe in curve as the suspension compresses, which is there to make a car safer.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I ran my clod with about 3* toe out in front and kept the rear straight. Worked great for me.
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I find it interesting that most crawlers can only make a couple of wheel alignment adjustments to their crawlers. Most crawlers can only adjust Caster & Toe in/out. While those of us running the hybrid Maxx rigs have Caster, Toe in/out & Camber to adjust. It takes a bit more to dial in our rigs.

I play with all three to try to setup my Maxx... Camber, Caster and Toe In/Out.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote