Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Micro's, mini's and beyond.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Default Micro's, mini's and beyond.

Hey guys, newbie here. Sort of. I've been racing dirt r/c since 1984, mostly ovals and some offroad but quit the biz two years ago mainly because of the local politics of racing. Some of you probably know what I'm talking about. Recently I got involved in helping a 1:1 4X4 group and went to a couple of meetings where they had scaled crawlers of their own vehicles. This is sort of a sideline to these guys; a way to wind down after a day on the trail, but not really organized.

So I got a few friends together in the hopes of stirring some interest of having a crawler club that doesn't have anything to do with a real life 4X4 club, and got a couple of guys who are now planning to get micro's starting later in July. We "borrowed" a few of the Jeep club guys to bring their micro's and run on a couple of temporary concept tracks we set up using drink trays from McDonalds, lumber scraps and half my wife's garden rocks. The course was about 3' wide and 16' long and had an over all elevation change of about 3', but it worked pretty well. We used painted ping pong balls for gates since if you touched them with a mini they would move pretty easily.

We watched a couple of tune up video's about the micro's on YouTube, it looks like removing the springs and letting the suspension sag is the best way to free up articulation, since we're a small group we're not going to need more than one class per scale. I doubt any of us will spend more much more than what it costs to dress up the 1/10th scale SCX-10's we're looking to get in August.

I'm doing a lot of reading in the scale area's of this forum that will concern us, but I wanted to say thanks for having such a detailed forum. It makes it easier to find things without having to ask the repetitive newbie questions and getting people stirred up.

Last edited by Pete McKay; 06-27-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling error
Pete McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to RCC ! Looks like you are getting a great start . I wish we had more people like you in my town . Bunch of cheap arses here that just want to drive my trucks but never invest in their own . I have been considering starting a micro club around here so people can get a cheap start in rc crawling . I will be keeping an eye on your activity . Please keep the progress posted .
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote