Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: interested in helping children in hospital with rc crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default interested in helping children in hospital with rc crawlers

I'm taking on a new challenge in life and this time it's helping cheer up children in a Ronald Mcdonald house childrens hospital in Wisconsin. My brother works as a paramedic and tells me about the children he seen at the hospital and I was thinking maybe theres a way I could put a smile on there face with fun factor. My idea is to build a portable , fold out 4 by 8 crawler/scale course and build up some losi micros (maybe 3 or 4) and bring them in for the kids to run for fun. I figure rc driving doesn't take much strength so the kids that are weak could still do it and they go slow enough that they could figure out how to control them pretty quick. I can build the course to fold out from a 4' by 4' by 1' to make a 4' by 8' course with up to 6" tall challenges in it and could have legs that fold out so they could roll up to it in a wheel chair. My brother and I are in the process of getting approval to come in and do it for them a couple times a month. If it goes thru I was going to ask my fellow rc hobbiest on here to possibly help with any donations for the micro losi's and I mean any since I'm more than willing to piece together whatever parts come along to make a runner of some sort. I will be buying 1 with some money from some parts I'm selling and I think I might have another one sponsered from my boss but the more I can get running the better and or spare parts to fix them as they break down. I'm just throwing this out there to see if there is any interest to help out since that would be a weight lifted on that end of things. I also would love some input on the portable course and remember it has to be light enough to move and set up by my son who is 10 and myself. I also figured this project would teach my son alot about doing good for others and how that makes you feel afterwards so I think this will be a win for everyone involved. Thanks for your time.
62 bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Started this a couple years ago. It's been going pretty good, not a whole lot to post about pic wise since most of the places won't let you take them due to kids, parents and permissions. but we bring a lot of fun.
It does take some serious commitment tho, don't think it's not a lot of work, cuz even with a lot of help, it's tough to keep things going and make sure you've got help. Nothing is more frustrating then watching a rig get away cuz no ones paying attention or the kids are getting down, not knowing what to do.
But don't let that stop you, it's rewarding but you'd bette get a game plan in place first. Our group, CORA-USA, set out to do this as a commitment and we've been pretty successful. But like I said, it takes a plan AND MONEY.
We've established some pretty good relationships with vendors/sponsors and have a reputation of of good follow through. We're using 4 Axial based rigs with Spectrum DX3E's. You'll be surprixed how quickly the costs start adding up.
Active Kids project started.

Active Kids program pics @ 4XFEST
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default thanks for the input

Hey thanks alot for the input and will read your threads for sure. I know it will be some work for sure aswell as time but I think my son and myself are up for the challenge and I hope to work on it thru this winter which in wisconsin is long and you have alot of garage time and have it ready to go in spring. I was also hoping that with using the micros instead of 1/10 scale it would keep the cost and make it more portable for set up and take down aswell as transport. Any other input you have would be great since I'm sure you learned alot by doing it a while.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bugzilla View Post
I'm taking on a new challenge in life and this time it's helping cheer up children in a Ronald Mcdonald house childrens hospital in Wisconsin. My brother works as a paramedic and tells me about the children he seen at the hospital and I was thinking maybe theres a way I could put a smile on there face with fun factor. My idea is to build a portable , fold out 4 by 8 crawler/scale course and build up some losi micros (maybe 3 or 4) and bring them in for the kids to run for fun. I figure rc driving doesn't take much strength so the kids that are weak could still do it and they go slow enough that they could figure out how to control them pretty quick. I can build the course to fold out from a 4' by 4' by 1' to make a 4' by 8' course with up to 6" tall challenges in it and could have legs that fold out so they could roll up to it in a wheel chair. My brother and I are in the process of getting approval to come in and do it for them a couple times a month. If it goes thru I was going to ask my fellow rc hobbiest on here to possibly help with any donations for the micro losi's and I mean any since I'm more than willing to piece together whatever parts come along to make a runner of some sort. I will be buying 1 with some money from some parts I'm selling and I think I might have another one sponsered from my boss but the more I can get running the better and or spare parts to fix them as they break down. I'm just throwing this out there to see if there is any interest to help out since that would be a weight lifted on that end of things. I also would love some input on the portable course and remember it has to be light enough to move and set up by my son who is 10 and myself. I also figured this project would teach my son alot about doing good for others and how that makes you feel afterwards so I think this will be a win for everyone involved. Thanks for your time.
Where are you planning to do this( what hospital, what city). I can't speak for all but I'm sure some of us in the WIRCRC would be more than willing to help out( based on travel time ,distance). With your permission I would like to post this on the Wisconsin board.
401jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Sometimes it's best to be flexible with your crawling materials. I've used back packs and duffle bags filled with crappy ole clothes or news papers to throw down and crawl over. It still gave the kids a thrill.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default place

It's going to be at the hospital in marshfeild wisconsin and if you would wait just allittle bit before you ad it to the wisconsin section since I'm still waiting to get the ok with them so I was just testing the water here to see if anyone was interested and by all means I will need help in all aspects of this project. Thanks Krakker for the ideas for crawl stuff but I do hope to make a cool crawl table hopefully for it. I'm not ruling out anything yet though.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #7

ok krakker no ofense here but u really think a childrens hospital would let sumone just bring a bag of old clothes in and throw em down
crutch619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm sure the clothes were clean
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
It's going to be at the hospital in marshfeild wisconsin and if you would wait just allittle bit before you ad it to the wisconsin section since I'm still waiting to get the ok with them so I was just testing the water here to see if anyone was interested and by all means I will need help in all aspects of this project. Thanks Krakker for the ideas for crawl stuff but I do hope to make a cool crawl table hopefully for it. I'm not ruling out anything yet though.
Not a problem, Have you thought about foam insulation cut and glued together. Maybe on a 4x8 sheet of plywood cut in half and hinged with wheels on the ends for moving around. Just somethings I thought of at work today.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default yep

That about what I thought of was a fold out table 4x8 that had foam and maybe some wood and some small rock glued and stapled on place with maybe a swing bridge I could put up aswell. I'm going to build the box first that fods up with wheels and handle then fill it will crwl stuff on 2x2 squares that I could change out easy to keep mixing it up. Just some ideas I had but the more ideas the better.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That about what I thought of was a fold out table 4x8 that had foam and maybe some wood and some small rock glued and stapled on place with maybe a swing bridge I could put up aswell. I'm going to build the box first that fods up with wheels and handle then fill it will crwl stuff on 2x2 squares that I could change out easy to keep mixing it up. Just some ideas I had but the more ideas the better.
Keep me posted
Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutch619 View Post
ok krakker no ofense here but u really think a childrens hospital would let sumone just bring a bag of old clothes in and throw em down
no no no,,, we didn't crawl on the clothes,,,, they were just filling for the duffle bags. Just a few bags makes for some easy fun that they can play on and keep moving them into different areas to keep it interesting.
It's also light weight and very portable.
Heck I've crawled over boxes pillows, shoes and couches in the winter just to get my fix in.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Maybe try finding an old ping pong table. It is already built and portable then all you would have to do is make the pieces that make up the course.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote