Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed MadCrawler 10 Build Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Exceed MadCrawler 10 Build Up

Ive come along way with this crawler. It popped my rc cherry and got me in the sport. The truck is holding up great, and Im very happy with it.

Huge thanks for this board and everyone on it for the massive wealth of information and the willingness to help.

Here it is in its current state.

RC4wd Outcry ESC w/ BEC
Hi-tech 645mg w/ aluminum horn
CKRC aluminum knuckles
HB rover white dots
Links are a mix of axial and exceed
FlySky gt2 raido.
Berg 4th gear in the axles

Back to the original thread started 10/01/2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone. Im from northern vermont, and as an anniversary gift, my sweetie got me an Exceed Mad Crawler. Im new to RC Crawling and real RCs in general, but not new to wheeling. I have a 92 Toyota pickup on 35s as a trail rig and an 87 4runner as a dd. Anyway, ive been reading up on what i can find of this one. Seems to be a cheaper model, but thats fine for me. Im not going to compete, its just for fun, and so far I love it. It wicked fun to have a crawling RC. Ive been setting up stuff to crawl all day. Finally got to go out side with it (we got 3" of rain in the past 24 hours) and it was even better! However, I already stripped the rear gears (pics below) but it was my own fault. I set some stuff up inside when i got it and one of them was a pillow. The wheel got wrapped up in the pillow case and i heard it happen. Dam. oh well replacements seem to be pretty cheap. Now on to the pics:

This is where she got it from

1/10 Scale Exceed RC Mad Crawler 4WD RTR Remote Control Truck

Heres the truck out of the box.

While the battery was charging I tore the body off a old jeep jk toy rc I had lying around. Stripped if of all unnessary parts and drilled some holes in it. little trimming and i think its a pretty good fit. And man the Flex on these things is incredible!!

Ok, so the stripped rear gears. Took the axle out and split it.

parts.

The damage

So heres one question. I know I can get another plastic one for cheap ( 40T ,42T And 48T Gears Set ) but is there a place where I can get metal ones? I did some searching, but im going to dive into it right after this post

Question number #2 the steering servo is really weak and and id like to upgrade to something that will turn the tires better. Are these just universal things or are they model specific?

Thanks for all your help, Im ready to learn!

-Hyde802

Last edited by Hyde802; 01-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

welcome to the site and addiction!!!!

pretty much any standard size servo will work, a good one will probably cost as much as the truck though!
and you might want to limit the articulation a little.
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What the difference between servos. I cant tell the difference between a $10 one and a $110?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde802 View Post
What the difference between servos. I cant tell the difference between a $10 one and a $110?
How much torque they have. For the use you are describing I would recommend the Hitec HS-645MG. Its not the best servo in the world but it will be ok for casual crawling and I bet it would be better than what came on that thing. Also, the price is right ($25-30) and you should be able to pick one up at most hobby shops or online. I found the best deal on them on ebay.

Also I would pick up a metal servo horn (the arm that actually moves) for whatever servo you end up with. Just make sure that the horn you get matches the brand of the servo you buy.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
How much torque they have. For the use you are describing I would recommend the Hitec HS-645MG. Its not the best servo in the world but it will be ok for casual crawling and I bet it would be better than what came on that thing. Also, the price is right ($25-30) and you should be able to pick one up at most hobby shops or online. I found the best deal on them on ebay.

Also I would pick up a metal servo horn (the arm that actually moves) for whatever servo you end up with. Just make sure that the horn you get matches the brand of the servo you buy.
x2 for what you are doing the 645 will work well. also the metal servo horn is a must for a crawler so it doesnt strip out when the steering gets jammed. when picking a servo look at the torque. most of us run 300oz/in + servos in our comp trucks but they are about $100+.

p.s. i dont know about metal gears.
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the site, enjoy it, you will learn alot and more on this about rccrawling. You should look and see if there are any clubs in your area, competing is a blast.

The hitec 645 mg is a good servo for just messing around, it's cheap and will last. I run a Jr Ds 8711 on my Rc4wd Bully (408oz of torque) Perfect for comping. The gears on the exceed, i looked them up and couldn't find any metal replacements, but if you find them buy them, if you dont buy the one you need and atleast two extra's.

Btw: YOur truck does look pretty sweet with that body on it, nice work

Lance
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Im still looking for a set of metal gears. I think I have a lead on some, but if I cant find some by soon, ill just order 3 or 4 sets of the plastic ones, there cheap enough.

On a better note, made the drive to a hobby shop today in search for gears, and walked out with a Hitech Hs-645MG. Score!

SMR- you mentioned getting a metal servo horn...why? do the plastic one break? they seem pretty beefy.

Last edited by Hyde802; 01-05-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Im still looking for a set of metal gears. I think I have a lead on some metal gears, but if I cant find some by soon, ill just order 3 or 4 sets of the plastic ones, there cheap enough.

On a better note, made the drive to a hobby shop today in search for gears, and walked out with a Hitech Hs-645MG. Score!

SMR- you mentioned getting a metal servo horn...why? do the plastic one break? they seem pretty beefy.
Nice! You should notice a good improvement in steering now.

Yes, they tend to break or the are where the splines mate to the servo will strip. Run the plastic one until it breaks and then upgrade.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Some one mentioned that berg axles share the same gears. Anyone have an update on this? I found these, think these will work? Mines a 48 tooth. Are these ones even metal?

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/enroute-...r2-p-1551.html

pic of my gear for those who are too lazy to scroll up.

http://images1f.snapfish.com/2323232...2%3C9335nu0mrj

Last edited by Hyde802; 10-03-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
RCC Addict

hs 645mg ftw!!
i use this exclusively on all my RCs including my beast of a savage nitro
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I ordered that gear from the berg axles. Hope it fits, if not ill just order the stock ones. Looks like it should fit. The holes look right, its a 48tooth, just like mine. and if not, ill just return it.

night everyone
Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
cherry bomb

I hope that new gear fits, your rig's been out of commision for a couple days now, thats shitty, especialy since you just got it. you'll have fun with it for sure, upgrading is half the fun. good job on putting that jeep body on, looks real good.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I did something. Put the rear axle back together w/o gears to drive it around and test the new servo. alas, problem. So i plug it all back in and set it ont he ground. I flicked everything on and it took off!!! propped the front wheeld up and did it agan. now for some reason. the steering wheel runs the throttle and the steering is no more. Any ideas what I did?

Last edited by Hyde802; 03-23-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
HHHAAAALLLLP. I did something. Put the rear axle back together w/o gears to drive it around and test the new servo. alas, problem. So i plug it all back in and set it ont he ground. I flicked everything on and it took off!!! propped the front wheeld up and did it agan. now for some reason. the steering wheel runs the throttle and the steering is no more. Any ideas what I did?
Sounds like you have the plugs into the reciever in the wrong way around, try swapping them.
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Yep make sure CH1 is for your servo plug and CH2 is for your ESC!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

False alarm, i fixed it. It was just in the wrong spot. Anywho, got it back together did some couch crawling. Threw an old futon matress over the coffee table and the couch and had some fin till the battery died, on the charger now.

This servo is great!! Huge improvement over the stock one. And im glad I bought it, I pulled the old one apart to see how they work, and found some stripped gears. Im learning real fast that all the plastic gears are going to have to be replaced.

Thanks for all your help!

Edit: Was crawlin and the front end hopped up and when the spinning tires hit the ground i heard the front gears strip. faaaaaaaaaak. Ill wait for the berg gear to get here, if it fits, ill order another one. possibly the whole internal sets.

Last edited by Hyde802; 06-09-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

One of the things I keep reading about this crawler is that the tires suck, so I figured ill just take the foam out, its just like airing down.. and why not, the thing has beadlocks!. well see how it goes.

Update on this: Taking the foam out is the only way to run these tires. They are pretty thick so they still hold the weight of the truck just fine.

Last edited by Hyde802; 01-05-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Hey man I'm thinking of gettin an exceed keep up posted on how yours is running, lol i'm new here to and I'm learning as much as i can b4 i buy one.
barshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

The Hitec 645 servo worked good for about a year for me tell it started to strip gears frequently on me. So I up grade mine to a Airtronics 94780M Metal Gear Digital High Power Servo, cost me about 120 bucks I didn't like the idea of spending so much on a servo bu well Worth it.
rockn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

So, id like to get a longer running battery, or at least another one. But im so lost. Just read through this whole thread http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...basics&page=20 and my eyes are spinning. Can some one point me to a dumbed down way to figure out what I can run for a battery? Or suggest something that will work? Also, how do I know if that battery will plug into my truck....so lost.

Thank,
Hyde802

Edit: This is what came with the truck: 7.2v 3000mah ni-mh battery.
Is this a ok upgrade?: http://www.nitrorcx.com/83p-3300mah-...4-30c-car.html

Last edited by Hyde802; 10-07-2010 at 07:10 AM.