Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RedCat Crawler Any Good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 AM   #1

Default RedCat Crawler Any Good?

I just got an Axial AX10 and my buddy is now thinking about getting a crawler. He found a Redcat on Craigslist. I know a lot of their stuff isn't the best from the racing scene, but how are their crawlers? Right now, he's considering getting an AX10, an XR10 an XTM Crawler or this RedCat Crawler. Can anyone give me any insight? We're both new to the crawling scene obviously. But we race 1/8th scale buggies at OCRC in Huntington Beach and they've got a really cool crawling area, so figured crawlers would be a fun way to spend some of the down time. Thanks for your guys input and help!
ScottKelly911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
RCC Addict

My redcat rs10 out of the box is a bad mother. there isnt the best after market support as axial but it does great RTR. Upgrade the tires servos and do a batwing delete and he should be golden
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Jer
Rock Crawler

I have an rs10 and an ax10. I like my rs10 for dinking around and it's pretty cheap at 160 brand new. There are mods that you will want to do to make it better, it's probably not comp capable but it's fun. My ax10 is more solid and a lot more expensive but at any time something might break I can go to the lhs and get a part to fix it and be running the same day.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you want to constantly replace parts by the RS10, If you want to bash on it and compete by the XR10
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Go ax-10. The redcat is ok but runs into more money replacing parts. I wouldn't get the xr-10 unless you have a nice budget. The xr is the most capable but I say ax would be a better starting point. I have a redcat and it held up for about an hour. After replacing the gears, modding axles, and throwing away the crappy chassis, and building new links it does ok. My old ax had less money in it and that includes the starting price. Parts are easy to find also.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

The fact that you race 1/8 scale tells me you know quality when you see it or drive it.

If you buy something that's not quality, you will likely be disappointed, and wish you had gone a different route.

Here's a thought... Go to your local Hobby Shop, and see what they carry parts for. Use that as a barometer on what to buy.

You don't want to break something small and have to wait 3 weeks for it to come in the mail. Also, your Hobby Shop will likely carry name brand stuff, that they are willing to support.
Product support is huge!

Good luck in your purchase.. I know you'll make an educated decision.

Shot-N-The Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
NOT, ive been running mine all summer and never broke parts for $150.00 its a great crawler even went to some comps with it if you need pics let me know also i just built a bully and i dont need 2 so its for sale at a good price with alot of hop ups. do some research and see what you like ive seen the xr10 in action at I HOBBY over the weekend ,not very impressed with the way it perfomed
and what are you running for electronics? ive got a buddy who has one and with the shit ton of money he has put into it so far it performs about the same as my losi night crawler.

I love my xr10, I am very impressed with it so far. Just wait until people get some time under their belts with this rig, you have to remember it is fairly new. Just sayin.....
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
RedCat Crawler Any Good?
No.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
No.
X dos
dickwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
RCC Addict

ive beat on mine all summer and never broke anything great basher not so good for comps still a fun crawler
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Jer
Rock Crawler

I haven't broken my rs10 yet, what have you guys been doing to break it? I could see parts breaking if it fell from a height or getting it in a bind and giving it hard throttle or steering.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've got an RS10 XT and so far it's been a real nice crawler for the money to bash around with. Only mods so far are Rover Whites and that made a huge difference. May break something now since I have so much grip. All in all a nice crawler out of the box, especially with the 4 wheel steering and the different modes. Just my humble newbie opinion.
strato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

If you are to buy a redcat,get the rs10xt,it will save you about $80 in upgrades you would do to a rs10.Like you have read,A xt is $159 on ebay,then you get tires,esc,bec,and afew other odds and ends and you up around $300,for that money you could buy alot of sweet crawlers,ax-10,losi night crawler,shoot i think the gmade is $299 on ckrc..Plus i know from personal experenice the redcat 3ch radio is a piece of crap,glitches like crazy,27mhz.So add a radio and rx to that parts list.
headfullorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Thats why its a RTR. If it had all the shit already on it then it wouldn't be available for 160 shipped. I have one and have less than a 100$ in mods and I love it. Rovers-20$ 645 servo-35$ fourlink-20$ steel drive pins in axle-0$ extra 3000mah batt. 30$ and I run it on a very hard course daily with little failure. The radio isn't the best and I am in the market for a dx3 I believe, but it will get you by for as long as you need it to. I will build my next crawler from scratch most likely but ya gotta start somewhere and having a less than perfect machine will teach you how to drive.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Since you got an AX10, push him that direction, that way you can share spare parts when needed.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I bought the 1/8th scale one to do a review on it for RcFanatics and it crawled well up my stairs, but it blew ass on the rocks. Way to much articulation out of the box and ate batteries like nuts. Also the electronics (Which Im sure are the same as the Rs10) were very cheesy, ran extremely hot and glitched like crazy.
In this hobby (and life in general) you get what you pay for.

If your buddy is just going to be a weekend crawler now and then and not want to drop alot of money, they it might work. But if he intends to do it for a while and stay in the crawling hobby, I would suggest he gets a name brand one with part support and a built reputation.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote