Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: super high RPM motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default super high RPM motor

i was wondering (me and my friend were talking about htis at school today) could you take a RC airplane motor that spins super fast and geared it down real low so your rig isn't going 100mph would it have more torque than a crawler moter along with some wheel speed or would it just have wheel speed with no power?
I was just thinking that even tho they were spining so fast the they wont get damage by the warmth sence they are ment to be run fast all the time.

Thanks just a random thought.

Last edited by Losi man; 11-30-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Losi man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I use 104:1 planetray reduction in my transmission for my MRC. I've used brushless inrunners 3100kV and 6200kV as well as an outrunner that i rewound. It works and creates ridiculous torque, but the wheel spped is still too slow for most people's taste. Also my outrunner still cogs even with a 250+:1 crawl ratio. The best part is no need for a dragbrake. the wheels won't turn unless throttle is applied. I never had any heat problems; The load on the motor is relatively small.

I haven't gotten around to trying a brushed motor with maybe a 62:1 transmission... It should work better in terms of no cog and more wheelspeed.
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

so do you think it could work but the wheel speed is slow? And what do you mean by cog?

Last edited by Losi man; 12-01-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Losi man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

the reason plane motors can be run at WOT is because there is air moving over them fast and constantly.
customcrawlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Got Worms?

I think this should settle your needs, Puller Pro tech thread is said to spin at 50k rpm on a 6cell, pus super torque
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losi man View Post
so do you think it could work but the wheel speed is slow? And what do you mean by cog?
It does work. Personally i like low wheel speed, but most others don't. The hardest part is finding a motor with proper shaft size and mounting hole pattern to match the reduction box you choose.

Cog is when the brushless motor doesn't start smoothly because it doesn't have enough torque/ can't sense what position the rotor is in. If you use a brushed motor you will have no cog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFpn-deolo
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote